Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are you ok with people taking your picture?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:17AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Not that, um, I'm looking through your window with a long-range lens or anything....

I was thinking of this today when one of my son's friends posted some pics of them together on facebook and my son said he looked bad in all of them. Are you ok with people taking your picture? What about posting them online? Do you take, like, 100 pictures before you find one you like for your avatar?

message 2: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I like being the photographer, not the subject.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:27AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Some horrific pictures of me have shown up on facebook, especially since I have failed to lose the baby weight.

I'm not really a fan of the digital age in this way.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I don't mind at all, but I don't want them showing up online.

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments people can take my picture, but they better not post pictures of me online where i look like an idiot (about 75% of the pictures i'm in).

message 7: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I think I look terrible in all of my pictures, so no

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't like most pictures of me, but I let people take their photos. If one shows up on FB that I really really don't like, I'll untag myself.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Self untagging is an option? Nice!

Books Ring Mah Bell I'll untag myself
but it is still out there, dang it! For the world to see!

:/

message 11: by Jammies (new)

Jammies The women in my family photograph like trolls, so no, I am not okay with people taking my picture. This is why I have never used a self-portrait as an avatar. Ugh!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

BunWat wrote: " I morph into something that looks like a female version of that drunk Nick Nolte mug shot. "

Hee, I know that feeling very well. There must be a gremlin hiding inside all cameras.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I don't mind if pictures are taken of me as long as I can go through them and weed out the horrible ones. Occasionally I take a good picture. I have good angles and bad angles. My avatar, for example, superb angle.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the angle of my avartar too.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I like the angle of my avatar too."

Yes, a shadow seen from on high...

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lobstergirl wrote: "My avatar, for example, superb angle. "

I agree.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ani diFranco says:

"It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures
Cuz I have the kind of beauty that moves."

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments BunWat wrote: "I don't really like people taking my picture, I'm the one who fades quietly into the background when the cameras (or camera phones)come out. Not photogenic at all. Its weird. I can brush my hair..."

Love that reference to Nick Nolte's mug shot. I've never had luck with photos, either.

If I could take a picture like Lg does, however, I'd be a camera hog.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my family takes lots of photos of everything. and video. everything event is memorialized digitally in pics or video. everyone has flip cameras, point n shoots and phones. my kids make videos and such from them and my wife is a scrapbooker. i don't like to have my pic taken randomly or a video camera recording my every move but i don't wanna be the party pooper so i patiently put up with it

message 20: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) I'm okay with it. My Dad is a amateur photographer.He's been taking photos of everyone/everything he can since I was a pre-teen.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Scout wrote: "BunWat wrote: "I don't really like people taking my picture, I'm the one who fades quietly into the background when the cameras (or camera phones)come out. Not photogenic at all. Its weird. I ca..."

Why thank you, Scout.

message 22: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments De nada. Here's to the photogenic old gal.

message 23: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments I have my first digital camera now and want to photograph faces. Is it ethical to photograph people in public without their consent?

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I've often wondered this too. And photographing people's bellies and butts and overhangs and muffin-tops as they walk down the street - say, as if you're doing a story on morbid obesity for the evening news?

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments I see what you mean. Even if the person isn't identified - the face is smudged - the image is captured and displayed without their consent, and in an unflattering way.

I see now that I can't take photos without permission. What about taking the photo and then asking for approval? Hmmm. I feel OK about that.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I've often wondered this too. And photographing people's bellies and butts and overhangs and muffin-tops as they walk down the street - say, as if you're doing a story on morbid obesity for the ev..."

Heh. Can you imagine the conversation between the news film guys? "Ok. No, wait, Frank. There's one coming. Across the street. To your right. Oh, and he's carrying an ice cream cone! Score! We'll get out of here early tonight if we can get this to the editing room..."