Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Books as presents-yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What do you think? Are you giving books as Christmas presents? Ever get them? Pros and cons? Skip the gift book and go with a bookstore gift certificate instead?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments always a yay!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Even if the person doesn't know you and gives you a shitty book?

message 4: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) If I am buying for a reader, I usually give a gift card. However, this year, I bought this book for my mom.
http://www.amazon.com/Fort-Cookbook-F...
I would almost call it a coffee table book because of the stories and photos sprinkled in with the recipes. It also includes information on where one can buy some of the exotic ingredients. The Fort is famous for Rocky Mountain Oysters.

message 5: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments If family members ask what I want for Christmas, I'll often respond with a specific book title. Gifts of random books are, I guess, no better or worse than other types of useless gifts--loudly patterned sweaters, strange-colored socks, neckties of any type. I do have an uncle with a remarkable ability to choose odd books that I would never think of buying for myself and that usually turn out to be very interesting. People like him are rare.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I love giving books, hardcover books from the fancy Tattered Cover down in Denver. The process of picking them out is half the fun.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I buy books for kids, gift cards to B&N for adults.

Books Ring Mah Bell yay all the way.

This year I am giving books and I have asked for specific titles for myself.
:)

I have a running joke with my stepdad about this: we exchange B&N gift cards...

those are always the right size and color.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

As you open it do you oooh and aaah somesuch to each other always?

"A B&N gift card!" "Perfect color!" "Oh, it fits!"

Books Ring Mah Bell It is a big production:

"OH MY GOD! HOW DID YOU KNOW!??!"

Then we set a date to get coffee and browse.

Can't do that with a waffle iron, no sir.

message 11: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Books are always acceptable. Sure, I'd prefer a gift card and choose my own, but sometimes you get lucky.

A friend gave me a book called "Monkeewrench" by P. J. Tracy. The odd title almost made me not read it--and that would have been a mistake! I loved it and have the first four in the series!

Also, most persons who would buy me a book know I read two main genres--SF and mystereis. So picking a best seller from the SF or mystery section, the giver will probably pick something I will like.

If I do not like it, I donate it to the library book sale, so it goes to a good cause! A win-win siuation!

message 12: by Arminius (new)

Arminius My wife knows what to get me so I always get a stack. I will always buy books for gifts as well.

Books Ring Mah Bell Pros and cons, RA?

I think book buying is kind of intimate. You really have to know who you are buying for... even then, you could get someone a dud. What strikes me as good may not be your cup of tea.

For example, one year I received a book of short stories, all Christmas themed. (pretty sure it was a regift) and it was HORRIBLE.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

One year we had a secret santa exchange at work. I drew my boss, a ridiculous situation having only been at this salon for about five weeks. Shannon, my boss, was a big reader it seemed, always carrying around the latest Jodi Picoult and raving about it to all her clients.
So I bought her a Christopher Lamb book, the Stupidest Angel, having heard that he was a hilarious, excellent writer.
She opened it in front of me, snorted at the title, threw it to the side, and never read it.

Fantastic.

Books Ring Mah Bell ah, book giving at its worst!
:(

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Even if the person doesn't know you and gives you a shitty book?"

even shitty books can make me smile, behind the gifters' back of course.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well chosen books make a great present. Anyone in my family can get me a book any time. I think I'd trust most of you to choose a book for me as well.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Depaolo (dewsydaisy) | 60 comments Yay- err Nay- errr..... Amazon gift cards as presents is where I'm gong with this. I always ask for them because I buy books for my kindle with them or if I want to use the money for something else I can do that too. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Gift cards aren't impersonal if you do some creative wrapping.

For instance, if you get a movie theater gift card, put it in a bucket with bags of popcorn, candy, etc. and make it look like a movie pack. Then wrap it in cellophane and tie with a pretty bow.

For books, You could put the gift card inside of an old book that's been hollowed out or something. Just a random thought, I'm sure there's a better idea.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Stacia is a good gift-giver.

message 21: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments This depends on the recipient and the book. You need to know what the person likes. Or if he/she even reads much. There are a few books I've loved so much I gave to a lot of people (Freakonomics, Relic, The Riders, Bloodsucking Fiends, etc) but not everybody appreciated them. Some people would rather get socks than a book. God help them.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Oh hell yes!

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) I got my goddaughter a hard cover of Dickens' A Christmas Carol . Its a special edition from Penguin Classics , so I thought it'll be a book she'll want to keep .

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
No one should ever get me another book. I read waaaaaaay too much as it is. If someone got me an Amazon giftcard I'd just use it to buy deodorant and wristwatches.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Definite nay unless it's a first edition collectable or something like that. Gift certificates to bookstores, yay.

message 26: by Driftwood (new)

Driftwood | 58 comments I love books as gifts. Keep giving!!! A few weeks, to months after Christmas my library is stocked with donations from all the old ladies who got books for Christmas. lol. I can't buy books for my mom and a few siblings nor they for me because we read so much we never know which or what has been read. I would love a gift card to b and n if there was one in a 50 mile radius from me. lol. I am mostly an online buyer or library bum.

message 27: by Jammies (new)

Jammies My dad, both brothers and one co-worker are all getting books from me this Christmas. I love getting both books AND socks, and while I haven't loved every book I've gotten, I've been pleasantly surprised by quite a few!

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

And even if I don't always like the book I LOVE by book collection and adding to it with a cool looking spine is allright by me.

message 29: by Clara (new)

Clara | 25 comments This year I am giving gift cards from B&N or Borders.

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments My son asked me what I wanted for christmas and my birthday (same day/dec.25th) and I told him gift certificates to B&N. I used to ask for specific books but the expense of shipping them from san francisco was prohibitive. It'll give me a nice shopping day out after christmas. I got my sister in law a gift certificate to B&N. she plans on getting Nora Ephron's latest.

message 31: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments YAY! I don't give books unless I know the person pretty well. I like getting books as gifts even if they might not be my cup of tea. Unless they are too big for a bookshelf. That's just aggravating.

message 32: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Only a "Yay" if it's a book I've asked for. Otherwise, I get books people think I want to read. People know now just to get me a B&N gift card and let me pick them out myself.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I say Yay! I love to get and give books for gifts. I'm giving my niece a book this year for Christmas.

message 34: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I hope I get some books for Christmas! I got lots of kids books and 3 adult books to give this year.

message 35: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I prefer not to get books, bc most of my family doesn't know what I've read, want to read, etc. I'd prefer the gift card/certificate.

I give books occassionally if I know the person is looking for a particular title or if I know they're into a certain series and I can find a title they want. For ex: the newest one, or one they didn't buy for themselves, maybe they borrowed from the library, but want the "collection".

message 36: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 54 comments Depends on who I am buying for - I buy my wife and kids books as presents as I know what they like to read but for other people I prefer the safety of a book token.

I love to get both books and book tokens although when not from my wife and kids I prefer a book token as other people never really know what I want to read.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments My sister gave me a copy of "Bad Moon Rising" by Sherrilyn Kenyon which I did not have.

message 38: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments I love getting books. My husband has bought me books that I probably would not have picked up on my own and I ended up loving them. I don't often buy books as gifts but this year I did get my sister's boyfriend 2 books since he likes mysteries.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.