My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

Christianity > Jehovah's Witness

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Dec 09, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments Since we have been discussing the Mormon branch of Christianity i think we should look at another branch: Jehovah's Witness

yes their Watchtower magazine is scattered around every hospital waiting room in America but what do we really know about them?

They are a bit eccentric like they traditionally believe that recieving a blood transfusion is wrong and they don't celebrate holidays or birthdays

They are also very conservative on most issues such as gender roles, homosexuality and
abortion

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments neither do I, I noticed that everyone was scoring really low on JW in their belief test

message 3: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) My dad calls them door knockers.... not much to say...

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments what do they do when they come to preach at your door?

message 5: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Last time they came to my door I was home alone they just kinda gave me a pamphlet and left...

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments interesting, I may read their magazine one of theses days when i'm bored in a waiting room

message 7: by mike jay (last edited Feb 05, 2011 08:17AM) (new)

mike jay (mikeaj) I have studied with them. They admitted to me that they predicted Jesus would return in 1975. The is a good Time article you can find about this on Google.

On of the most interesting things I learned about them is they don not believe Jesus is God, he is the son of God. Even he said only the Father knows the last day.

They also put emphasis on their belief that Jesus was not crucified on a cross but on a torture stake.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 21 comments It is IMO a very intense branch of Christianity. It has to be, in order to believe literally in some of the Bible, and they are literal believers.

But I find them to be theologically sound when compared to many Christian branches. Where they differ...Jesus is not God, the New Jerusalem will be on earth not up in heaven, etc...these things have scriptural basis. As do contrary opinions, mind you, I'm not saying JW's are right and general Christians are wrong, only that they aren't crackpots.

message 9: by mike jay (new)

mike jay (mikeaj) Lee wrote: "It is IMO a very intense branch of Christianity. It has to be, in order to believe literally in some of the Bible, and they are literal believers.

But I find them to be theologically sound when ..."

I feel the same about all you said there.

message 11: by mike jay (new)

mike jay (mikeaj) Cody wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWEhE...

this is great XD"

I don't get it.

message 12: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) It's a rehearsal for the TTT helms deep scene when the orcs try to take the gates down with a battering ram, one of the orcs yell "Open up, It's Jehovah's Witnesses" And then the Rohirrim yell "All together now. Go away!" lol.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten ROFL! Niiiice. :D
We find that if you tell the JW you are LDS, they don't come back(at least not the same two). hehe. To them, we are a lost cause. :P

Okay, since Mormon's are constantly being confused with JW, I searched around a bit and found some websites that give some basic differences. I'll tell you what though, it was kinda pathetic how many of the sites had lies about my church on them. :( So sad....
Anyway, here's the links(they won't take long to read). I tried to find ones with more about the JW side of things... but it wasn't very successful. So here's the best of a good 30-45 min of searching:
http://www.suite101.com/blog/jennyeva...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the...
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/...

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments That explained a bunch - thanks, Lynx :)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten welcome. :)