Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Nooks and Kindles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Deb Obrien (new)

Deb Obrien | 23 comments Hi, Im back again...I know I come and go but I always love coming back.
I wondered if anyone has a nook or other reader and how they like them. I got one for my birthday and i have enjoyed it, but would like to share more in the "lend me" function. Just wondering if anyone might be interested in doing some shareing and what not. Thanks...deb from afar.

message 2: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | 266 comments Hi Deb, I also got a Nook for my birthday recently, and I really like it. I have a fair amount of books on it already, and I think several are "lend me" books. I am very willing to share. :-) Let me know, and I will give you a list of what I have that is lendable.

message 3: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments There was a discussion about this on:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/426391-lending-ebooks

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Well I have to extol the merits of the kindle. I just called them because the little menu button split in half. The unit is a year old. They are sending me a new one at no charge and I can just download all my books from the old kindle to the new and send the old one back. The new one will be here by Monday. No questions asked, they didn't even need the model number and apologized for the inconvenience. Wow! Super impressed!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I adore Kindle. Have it on iPhone and iPad. It is so much fun and easy as pie. Very conveniently linked to amazon.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4881 comments My parents are getting me a Nook for Christmas. I can't wait after going on the bn site and looking at it.

message 7: by Debora (new)

Debora Geary Any further details on this? I'd love to be able to loan out books from my Kindle.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Good to know Leslie. I just got a I Pad for Christmas.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookofwords) | 11 comments Love, love, love my kindle. Got it in november and took it with on honeymoon to hawaii. It was nice to have a big selection of books to read without lugging around a million books.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (christmax) | 223 comments My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas and I love it - still think I will read "real" books but can't wait to go on holiday and not have to limit how many books I can take!

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4881 comments I got a Nook and I already put 17 books on it.

message 12: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose them?

I haven't gotten either yet, but would really like to get one sometime in the near future. I'm still in the research stage of which I would like to get. Thanks :)

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose them?

I haven't gotten eithe..."

Well with kindle, i think amazon archives all your purchases so even if you lose your devices they have your books archived somewhere for you.

message 14: by Dolly (last edited Dec 27, 2010 06:43AM) (new)

Dolly (dollya) Thanks Leslie. That is good to know. I figured there would have to be some kind of backup. I've heard the kindle holds about 1,500 books, so filling them up may not even be any sort of problem. :)

message 15: by Shay (last edited Dec 27, 2010 06:48AM) (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose them?

You can upgrade the memory on the Nook and add an extra 16 Mb of memory in the device. The equivalent of adding storage space for about 10,000-12,000 books plus the 1000-1,500 of the original card in the Nook. I'm pretty sure that if you can do this on the Nook you can do it on the Kindle. Or, you can always delete books from the ereader and Amazon or B & N stores it on their site and you can re-download it again later. For the Nook (or Sony, iPad, etc) where you can get books from almost any source, as long as they aren't under DRM, you can always save a copy on a USB device or DVD/CD.

message 16: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose them?

I haven'..."

Thanks Shay. So whichever I do decide to get, it looks like I can save to my hearts content. ;)

message 17: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose th..."

Make sure you can add memory on the Kindle before you buy one and check out your library's selection of ebooks. If they have a lot of stuff you'd like to borrow, think about a Nook or a Sony. Also, Google is planning to sell many new releases for $6 if they win their lawsuit. Unless Amazon changes its policy, you won't be able to buy from Google. I actually have almost 1,000 books on my Nook, so being able to expand the memory is important to me. I've only had it for a few months.

message 18: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wo..."

Thanks again Shay. These are definitely the issues I want to know about. You ultimately decided on the Nook. The only thing I am a bit weary about on the Nook is the touch screen. My cell phone has a touch screen that can be aggravating at times, so can you tell me how good the touch screen is on the Nook?

message 19: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere e..."

The touch screen is the most annoying part about the Nook. I think the "virtual buttons" are too small. I prefer the actual buttons on the Kindle. But, you don't use them very much unless you want to take notes in the Nook. I mostly use it to run a search for an individual book now that I have so many books in the Nook. But, to me it was worth it because my library has thousands of ebooks to loan and thousands more audio books.

message 20: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gott..."
I've had several people tell me the benefit of the ebooks from the library and the Nook. I don't think I would make many notes in the books, so that may not be a problem at all to me. I would be like you and use the search function more than anything. I'll have to check with my local library to see how their selection is.

message 21: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "Shay wrote: "Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have..."

I think Best Buy is supposed to have a bunch of the different ereaders on display to play with.

message 22: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I also have a nice coupon for them. :) I may try to go by and look this week while I'm off work.

message 23: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4881 comments I don't think I ever had 1000 books at one time in one place before.

message 24: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I don't think I ever had 1000 books at one time in one place before." Me either. It is amazing to think about.

message 25: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I don't think I ever had 1000 books at one time in one place before." Me either. It is amazing to think about."

I have a couple of thousand real books in my garage that my husband won't allow in the house all at once. If I read a specific book, I can bring it in and shelve it in the inside book shelves. I have, maybe another 1,000 real books in the house. Some are multiple copies of the same book, though.

message 26: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4881 comments Wow Shay! Why would you want multiple copies of the same book?

message 27: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) That is quite a collection Shay! If I buy the books and they turn out to not be keepers, there is a nice used book store in Asheville, NC, called Mr. K's, that I take and trade many of them in for "new" books. They have been good about the amount of trade value they have given me for my books, and I've been happy with my purchases there. I only get up there a few times a year though.

My husband has a lot of books, but they are mostly WW2 books, and I don't just stick to one subject. He looks at all of them at some point over and over again though, so he is happy.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments Dolly wrote: "I know both the Nook and Kindle hold a lot of books, but if it ever gets full, can you still save the books you have already gotten somewhere else so you wouldn't lose them?

Dolly, I got the Nook Color for Christmas. It says it holds up to 2500 books (I think) after that you would save books to a memory card. That way you would never lose them. I chose this one because I am not held down to Amazon, not sure if that would ever be an issue but just in case. .

message 29: by Nancy (last edited Dec 27, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Yeah Best Buy here has a display of most of the eReaders available so you can compare. My husband gave me Amazon gift certificate large enough to get a Kindle if I wanted. I'm probably like a couple of you - I wouldn't give up some real books, but space is getting to be an issue. And travels/vacation, even to work would be nice to have the Kindle. At least that is where I am leaning.

message 30: by Dolly (last edited Dec 27, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Dolly (dollya) I started seriously considering it as I was reading Truman because it is such a large book, (over 1,000 pages), but I would like to be able to carry it with me in an easier way. Plus, my daughter purchased a Kindle, and was able to get some of her school textbooks on it saving lots of weight. Since I have a while more in school myself it is also a consideration for that as well. I like large books, but it would be nice to have the book without the heavy weight.

Elizabeth (Alaska) At a family dinner last night, we were discussing this very issue. Many like the feel of paper, but for text books and such, electronic seems the way of the future. I have only recently accepted the value of electronic books. I cannot bring myself to even consider writing in the margins, but I can seen the need for doing so. As such, an electronic book would be perfect. Now, if I actually start reading enough books where I would want to write in the margin, perhaps the expense would make them worthwhile.

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Ok, my husband is going to be thrilled, but I ordered the Kindle with his gift cards - the middle of the road one. I had several opera DVD's in my Amazon 'cart', but those will have to wait for later. Dear husband will be happy he got me something like this. One more opera DVD is NOT on his dream list - accumulating fewer books would be!

message 33: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Wow Shay! Why would you want multiple copies of the same book?"

I have some books that I own multiple translations, like the Iliad and the Odyssey. I do not consider this a multiple copy, but my husband disagrees and complains about the 5 or 6 copies of the same book. Some books are books I re-read every few years and the original book has sentimental value, so I buy a reading copy. If that copy gets a funny smell then I buy a new copy, and a new one a few years later. Then, there's Shakespeare and other literature like that (another example, Chaucer). Sometimes I like the commentary, footnotes, definitions in another text better, so I'll buy another copy. So, some of these types, I'll own 5+ copies plus a few "Complete Works" of Shakespeare copies.

message 34: by Autumn (new)

Autumn I thought I would never want an e-book because I would always want the feel/and the cover art of a tangible book but my husband got a kindle for me for Christmas....
I am impressed. I really like it. Not only can I make notes to myself about books but I can carry all my book friends wherever I go. Will free up a lot of space at the house too.
Am also interested in the book swap thing but am unsure how to go about it.

message 35: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Autumn wrote: "I thought I would never want an e-book because I would always want the feel/and the cover art of a tangible book but my husband got a kindle for me for Christmas....
I am impressed. I really like i..."

I told my husband that buying me the Nook would clear up the book clutter in the house. He just built a new book case for my library books. So, it hasn't worked for decluttering, I won't give up any of my books, even if I have the ebook version. I know he's kind of disgusted, but he's used to it. I'm now at a pretty record low of only 93 library books so I can boast of "some" improvement. (My library cards are usually maxed out and I usually have 98-100 books out)

message 36: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) LOL Shay. That's a lot of library books. My library's limit is 50 and I've reached it twice. Only because my kids had a bunch of books checked out on my card.

message 37: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Shay wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I thought I would never want an e-book because I would always want the feel/and the cover art of a tangible book but my husband got a kindle for me for Christmas....
I am impressed. ..."

Oh how I can relate! I'm not giving up any of the books I currently own either :)- but it may help me from adding more books to my shelves? At least this is my thought, whether it will work or not is another matter hahaha. Wow, 98-100 from the library-that is a lot- I'd be afraid to bring that many home because I always manage to leave one behind at the house when they are due to be returned.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I would be terrified of losing library books if I checked out so many. We have lost a couple over the years and it is SHOCKING how much you end up paying for for a beat up old 15 year old children's book.

message 39: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments I have a bookshelf just for library books. Our library limit is 50 per card, too, but my husband handed his over to me. The whole system is computerized, self-service, so I can check out books on his card without him being there.

message 40: by Dolly (last edited Dec 28, 2010 06:21AM) (new)

Dolly (dollya) Our library only allows 15 out at a time per card. I usually only check out 1 or 2 at a time.

Nancy, I feel the same way about traditional books. I like the feel of them and the covers, but when I get those really think books like Truman, the weight of them is what is making me consider the ebooks...I never thought I would consider an ebook either. I don't like reading books on the internet on my computer, but the ebook is different because of the size, and how they make the pages/text look like a regular book.

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments I received a Kindle for Christmas and it amazes me! The thought of having so many books at my fingertips, it's actually a little to tempting! I've had to exercise a lot of restraint while browsing through the Kindle store, and have actually purchased one book and one free classic (I can't consider that a purchase, but Amazon does when they confirm it!) The NY Times crosswords are also beckoning me!

I still plan to buy certain regular books and can't give up my trips to the library. However, as a person who was never interested in a Kindle, you'd have to wrestle it out of my hands now!

message 42: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Linda, it is that addicting? :)

I know that some textbooks are available on the Kindle. I would think that since Nook is B & N that at least the textbooks they sell are available on the Nook. Has anyone had experience on either of these issues?

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments Dolly, I think it might be! But as I mentioned, it also is an exercise in self control. Kind of like not ordering everything on the menu when in your favorite restaurant! I promised myself to pace myself and have something to look forward to next trip to the Kindle store! Let's see how that works. :0)

message 44: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Dolly wrote: "Linda, it is that addicting? :)

I know that some textbooks are available on the Kindle. I would think that since Nook is B & N that at least the textbooks they sell are available on the Nook. H..."

A lot of times, when you take classes, they'll already have "rented" the ebook for you and just charge you a book fee. When I had to take continuing education courses, I did them at an online school and that's what they did. It's like borrowing an ebook from the library, you can download the ebook and it expires automatically at the end of your class. I think that there is some site that you can "rent" textbooks in ebook form, textbooks.com, or something like that.

message 45: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) That reminds me on here, my TBR listing is huge, but at least I know I will find something to read that I will like. :) I think I'll have to pace myself too.

message 46: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Dec 28, 2010 08:31AM) (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I also got a Kindle for Christmas, and like Linda I have to admit it is quite addicting. I had never bought one for myself, always said I loved "real books", but last night I was reading my real copy of Truman, which is a heavy monster, and got tired of holding it. So I set it down and picked up the Kindle, to check out some of the 17 free books I had downloaded onto it. Started reading one, and just got lost in reading. So easy to hold, so easy to click while holding to turn the pages, so easy on the eyes to read. I was impressed! I had the Kindle app on my computer, but never enjoyed reading on my computer. It felt like reading on a computer, not like reading a book. But reading on the actual Kindle is a totally different experience. I think I am hooked!

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments I don't use Goodreads to keep my TBR list - just too many options and I know I honestly won't get to that many even if I was retired. Work is just too consuming. So I pick and chose carefully, then put them on the Amazon list, or I just buy them... GAH! So having the Kindle will curb some of that. Although I am also surprised how many of the things I want to read aren't available in that format. My taste isn't always along the mainstream lines. On the other hand, I am excited to read some things like Truman without toting around such a monster.

message 48: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Nancy wrote: "I don't use Goodreads to keep my TBR list - just too many options and I know I honestly won't get to that many even if I was retired. Work is just too consuming. So I pick and chose carefully, the..."The kindle is addicting and I was surprised by this too.
Nancy, I know..I was a little disappointed to find out that two books I really wanted to read were not available in Kindle format. I can only hope that as the kindle grows more popular the book selection will grow.

message 49: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Autumn - I am excited. Didn't know how I'd feel as I have resisted it for a while. My work hours prohibit use of the library. We just can't house too many more. I think there will be some things that I will read sooner, since I keep putting off stuff that is in hardback. So that is also something I look forward to.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) http://mashable.com/2010/12/27/kindle...

For all of us who got new kindles this holiday season!

« previous 1 3 4