Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Tudor Vampire Chronicles?!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82... < Are they serious with this? The ONLY way this series will be good, is if it's actually good. Which I doubt. Pah!!

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 09, 2010 03:32PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I know, Claire. We had quite a slew of comments here when the first book of the series came out. Talk about trying to capitalize on popularity. The Tudors meets Twilight. UGH!

The first book has actually gotten positive ratings though, although not from anyone I know.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments ::gets popcorn::

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Great comment, Susanna, lol.

message 5: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Sloan (crystal_sloan) I work at a bookstore, and employees can take home "cover-tears" (unsold books that we tear the covers off of & send only the covers back to the publisher for credit), and anyway my co-worker and I had been making fun of that book since we saw it. But we did, however, each take one home when it became a cover tear, lol.
I'll probably never even read it. I like vampires, and obviously I like the Tudors, but those two things should probably never mix.

; )

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Sloan (crystal_sloan) It's the first book "Kiss of the Rose" that I am referring to, not the one in the link...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I agree, Crystal, the two should probably never mix, LOL.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) I'm just not feeling the concept. I much prefer Tanya Huff's Henry Fitzroy.

message 9: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments ^ 'The series is set in Toronto, Canada' - I hope it contains mostly tribal people then...Unless it involves them being alive forever and stuff as well.

message 10: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Just ew is all I have to say on Tudor/vampire books!

message 11: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments Haha I know, I agree Colleen! There is, however, quite a humorous title called 'Queen Victoria, Zombie Killer..The one thing she hated the most..was zombies' That sounds funny.

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Claire wrote: "Haha I know, I agree Colleen! There is, however, quite a humorous title called 'Queen Victoria, Zombie Killer..The one thing she hated the most..was zombies' That sounds funny."

I couldn't get past the first chapter of that one. Bad, unbelievably bad :/

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Have you read either of the ones in this series yet Misfit? What did you think?

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Lyn M wrote: "Have you read either of the ones in this series yet Misfit? What did you think?"

Lyn, no I haven't. I don't know if I can take any more mash up books, and after that *other* Tudor vampire book (otherwise known as the volcano of honey book) I doubt I'll manage another :/

Royal Blood by Rona Sharon

message 15: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Sloan (crystal_sloan) I took home an advanced reader of "The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer." I couldn't resist. The "Queen Victoria Demon Hunter" made me laugh, too. I don't think I would actually read one of these new mash-ups, but they are amusing. The "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," actually sold really well. But probably the best selling mash-up is still "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies." But I especially love the title "Android Karenina."

: )

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Android Karenina??? I am laughing at that because I have tried to read Anna Karenina twice, but both times stopped because I found it incredibly boring. So Android Karenina might fit the real one in my mine, lol.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Lyn M wrote: "Android Karenina??? I am laughing at that because I have tried to read Anna Karenina twice, but both times stopped because I found it incredibly boring. So Android Karenina might fit the real one ..."

Oh these mash up books are something. Someone here at GR did a list called the monster mash. You wouldn't believe how many there are.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I know, Misfit. Sadly, I don't think I would be surprised. Another case of band wagonism.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Here's the link to the Monster Mash list,

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/49...

message 20: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 2 comments I refuse to waste my time and money on such a silly idea of vampires & the Tudors.

message 21: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Ditto Rosalie!!!

message 22: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments Henry VIII, Wolfman deserves special mention here. I actually own it and plan to read it for a laugh. It will be my first "mash" experiance.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments These Tudor vampire books would all be perfect for the "slumming" theme over at Bookish. If I could bring myself to read one!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Too funny, Susanna

Rosalie - Ditto me too

Thalia - Let us know what you think.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments Yeah, but I'd have to read the Henry VIII Wolfman one - one of the moderators there has heart attacks when anyone mentions vampires! (She makes an exception for Dracula.)

message 26: by Wendy-Lynn (new)

Wendy-Lynn Claire wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82... < Are they serious with this? The ONLY way this series will be good, is if it's actually good. Which I doubt. Pah!!"

I read the first one in the series "Kiss of the Rose" and I wasn't crazy about it. Will probably not be reading the 2nd in the series.

message 27: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Oh Gawd the library has it. I might be tempted. Then again, maybe not. I looked at the reviews on Amazon, and I spotted a few reviewers I've come across before who always always give four and five stars to everything.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) There is a mod of a group here on Goodreads that gives 5 stars to EVERY book that he/she reads. No matter what. It drives me nuts.

message 29: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments ^ Argh who is it?! Lets get them!! lol

message 30: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments Lyn M wrote: "There is a mod of a group here on Goodreads that gives 5 stars to EVERY book that he/she reads. No matter what. It drives me nuts."

I think I might know the one....be wary of the reviewer that gives only star ratings, not actual words to back them up.....that's all I have to say on that subject

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I think you know exactly who I am talking about, and I agree.

message 32: by Gregory (new)

Gregory House (greghouse) | 122 comments I regulary use the Amazon reviews to to sort out book choices and I have noticed the same tendency. I fear that it is a carry over from the review practices in print media. Though since there are more reviewers per book there is a greater chance of finding a fair evalaution

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments I made it half way through Kiss of the Rose. It's still in the bathroom (or my library). Kind of a running joke around our house, the only way to tell if a book is worth reading is when it leaves the bathroom. It just didn't hold my attention.

message 34: by Erssie (last edited Feb 06, 2011 10:11AM) (new)

Erssie running joke around our house, the only way to tell if a book is worth reading is when it leaves..."

The bathroom! I have those sorts of books there, i.e. yellowing books on the bathroom windowsill next to the toilet that don't leave the toilet..However, I do have one book, which is well worth reading that stays there and it is the First World War Poems....and it stays there because it is short and easy to read an entire poem....

However, I did recently read medical advice which says reading on the toilet can lead to unmentionable problems and prolapses, so should not be done!

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (g8rbucsgirl) | 22 comments Oh man, for real? That stinks! I do all my best reading in there. All of my well worn Harry Potter books are in there. :)

message 36: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments Thalia wrote: "Henry VIII, Wolfman deserves special mention here. I actually own it and plan to read it for a laugh. It will be my first "mash" experiance."

Apparently my funny bone is broken...or this book is absolute rubbish. Any self respecting Tudorphile will cringe from start to finish reading this. Perhaps fans of paranormal would have a better go of it. I think if the author could have somewhat represented the timeframe he set out to capture with ANY sort of compitance it might have upped the rating...might....maybe not, I don't think anything could save this. It was ridiculous, un-funny and boring...did I mention ridiculous?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments It's a fairly ridiculous trend of books!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Man, tudors and vampires? Dumb!!!!!! It's supposed to be historical, why do somepeople have to ruin it by making in twilight-snobby! Ugh... Vampires are stupid, espesically in historical fiction!

message 39: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 17 comments I am a vampire fan, so I attempted to read Kiss of the Rosebut I found it unbelievable. Henry VII made a pact with Druid vampire hunters to secure his throne?! He who was known as the Defender of the Faith? Please!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1968 comments Hahahahhahaha!

message 41: by Charli (new)

Charli (Chazbee938) Hahaha, I didn't even know that Tudor vampire fiction existed! I'm not sure whether to be horrified, or almost impressed!

message 42: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 4 comments Well, I have read both of the books in the series. They are paranormal romance and the Tudors themselves do not have large parts. It is about the people who need to protect Henry VIII from the evil vampires. I enjoyed them but you have to take them for what they are, just entertaining romances. Kiss of the Rose (The Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Kate Pearce Blood of the Rose (The Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Kate Pearce

message 43: by Gregory (new)

Gregory House (greghouse) | 122 comments Ahh yes Tudor Vampires, I am compelled to confess my guilty secret, as a tudor historian and fiction writer I actually have been tempted to write one of these. Four years ago I even did a story outline and arc then a set of trial chapters making sure the characters and events happened in a proper historical context. Unforunately I stopped to take up some other commissions. Looking at this lot OMG I can see I should have pushed through, perhaps my writing wasn't trashy enough to be taken up?
Regards Greg
http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot....

message 44: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 3 comments This book I actually enjoyed. It may not have been that historically correct but it really had nothing to do with King Henry besides the fact that there is a vampire who is trying to muck things up. They talked about how Henry wasn't going to Katherine and he was getting tired of her but it really focused more on the mystery of finding the vampire and the conflicts between Rosalind and Christopher.

message 45: by Gregory (new)

Gregory House (greghouse) | 122 comments To my friends at Good reads just a quick note to let you know I’ve put an article up on my blog with a light hearted discussion on the fiction subsets in the Tudor history genre –fact or fiction oh yes and vampires

Regards Greg
http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot....