The Bronze Horseman discussion

EXCLUDING TBH Trilogy, what's been your 'Best Book of 2010' award?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments For me it's 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini, followed extremely closely by his other book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. These two books were the best books I've read this year by a country mile. They're the ONLY books that have come close to TBH for me...

message 2: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments ok not including the outlander series... My best book of 2010 is the Trilogy by Jules Watson.
The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1) by Jules Watson The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2) by Jules Watson Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3) by Jules Watson

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments cool - I'm going to add them to my to-read list :)

message 4: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments They are wonderful :)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments Outlander
The girl with the dragon tattoo
The book thief
We need to talk about kevin

Not in any particular order, but they're some of my faves...

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments April and Oliver
By Tess Callahan April & Oliver by Tess Callahan

message 7: by Kelly (last edited Dec 10, 2010 02:04PM) (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments 5 star surprise! Didn't expect much from this HR/erotica but loved it!

The Stranger I Married by Sylvia Day

New Genre for me Favorite m/m

Bound by Deception (Bound, #1) by Ava March The two should really be read back to back. NOt sure why it was not released as one book.
Bound to Him (Bound, #2) by Ava March

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mumbo, I also loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns" but havn't read the Kiterunner yet. Glad to know you rate them so highly.

I don't know if I have a favorite book of the year yet. I have high hopes for Juliet by Anne Fortier, which I just started, but so many of the books I read this year started out great and fizzled by the end. Hoping that doesn't happen with this one.

I really liked the Hunger Games trilogy (although the last book was disappointing to me.) The Book Thief was great too.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments Kira let us know how you find Juliet once you finish! I definately recommend The Kiterunner as well, I thought it was even better than A Thousand Splendid Suns.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Yes, I think The Kite Runner was a whisker better than A Thousand Splendid Suns. I just wish I'd read A Thousand Splendid Suns first as The Kite Runner was such a tough act to follow, but both got a rare 5 stars from me...

message 11: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Jessica wrote: "Outlander
The girl with the dragon tattoo
The book thief
We need to talk about kevin

Not in any particular order, but they're some of my faves..."

I LOVE The Book Thief. I teach this one and am so happy to experience this one again and again. Each character is an inspiration to me.

message 12: by Viola (last edited Dec 14, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Viola | 58 comments Hey, Everyone! I know we aren't supposed to include The Bronze Horseman trilogy, but I just read this for the first time in 2010, so I have to include it! Definitely my favorite of the year!

A couple other favorites include Juliet by Anne Fortier and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zahon. I saw that The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns were mentioned on this thread, and I didn't read them in 2010, but they are a couple of my favorites. Sooo good!

message 13: by Milena (last edited Dec 16, 2010 06:32PM) (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 157 comments I really enjoyed Lady Julia Grey books byDeanna Raybourn The Lady Julia Grey Bundle by Deanna Raybourn Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia, #4) by Deanna Raybourn

message 14: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Kelly wrote: "April and Oliver
By Tess Callahan April & Oliver by Tess Callahan"

I second that

message 15: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) I also LOVED The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly

message 16: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Oh... and can't forget The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) by Lauren Willig The Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation, #2) by Lauren Willig and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

message 17: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 157 comments I just bought The Winter Sea, I am going to read it next. Was it good?
Also both the Kite Runner and The Book Thief are on my wish list.

message 18: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) I loved The Winter Sea Milena.. Light on the S.E.X... But heavy on the amazing storyline.. This book sold me on this author.. so much so that I have ordered evry one of her books.. lol

message 19: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Shell wrote: "I also LOVED The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer DonnellyThe Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly"

Shell, there two are on my all-time favorites list! Love them!

message 20: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Shell wrote: "Oh... and can't forget The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) by Lauren WilligThe Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation, #2) by Lauren Willigand The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley"

I love the Pink Carnation series too! I haven't read the last two yet. Just borrowed them from my stepmom today. Am hoping to read them over my holiday break from school.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 3 comments I finished The Winter Sea, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to pick up some of her other books. I also highly recommend Michelle Moran's books along with Deanna Reybournes books. Also, I really liked The Hunger Games trilogy, although it is nothing like TBH (young adult and pretty violent).

message 22: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Is Michelle Moran similar??? And I am currently reading Mariana by Susanna Kearsley ... This is very good as well.

message 23: by Milena (last edited Dec 20, 2010 06:23PM) (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 157 comments I read Mariana by Susanna Kearsley . I really like her writing, but I was a bit disappointed in the book. I felt like there was not enough development of the relationship between main characters. I wish there was more interaction between them and less focus on other characters. Sorry, I am little vague, I just don't want to give any spoilers. I will be interested to know what you think when you finish this book.

message 24: by Viola (new)

Viola | 58 comments Michelle Moran is one of my favorite authors. Her novels are Nefertiti, The Hertic Queen, and Cleopatra's Daughter. All are excellent! She has a new one coming out in 2011! Can't wait!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments Shell wrote: "Kelly wrote: "April and Oliver
By Tess Callahan April & Oliver by Tess Callahan"

I second that"

Shell I read The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

It was really good!

message 26: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) You liked it? I was kinda torn/ Not sure why... The one I just finsihed deserves to be on this list fo' sure. Mariana by Susanna Kearsley

message 27: by Milena (last edited Dec 24, 2010 11:45AM) (new)

Milena (love_tea78) | 157 comments Another book I really enjoyed was Moonlight in Odessa by Janet Skeslien Charles
Very interesting story about a girl from Ukraine who becomes internet order bride and comes to America just to discover that her american husband is not at all what he seemed to be. Very funny and sad book at the same time.

message 28: by Toni (new)

Toni | 298 comments I wrote on the 'what are you currently reading' board about a book and its sequel called Push Not the River and Against a Crimson Sky (the sequel). I cannot recommend them more. They are historical saga epics/love stories and they are true stories so its even more enthralling. It was compared in a review on the cover to a mix between Gone with the Wind and Dr. Zhivago-they are fantastic books and I highly recommend them!! They take place in 18th century Poland during the upheavels and Catherine the Greats march. Really fantastic if it were fiction, but to be a true story based on the diaries of a renknowned countess makes them even more exceptional. I also recently read a book called Roses by Leila Meachem which is also an epic/love story spanning generations and it was really excellent!!!! I give them both high marks! Nothing is as amazing as TBH, but these are some great reads nonetheless.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments Thanks for the recommendations Toni, I haven't heard of any of those! Is Dr. Zhivago a book? What's it about?

message 30: by Toni (new)

Toni | 298 comments Dr. Zhivago is a very famous classic about a the life and love of a poet/physician during the turmoil of the Russian revolution. When Dr. Zhivago finds himself caught between the battle between the whites and the reds his love for the tender and beautiful Lara keeps him going as he pursues her, finds her, and loses her again. I don't want to give away too much. It is a classic and a beautiful story. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it. It was written in 1957 (published in 1957 I should say, in Italy, amidst int'l controversy) by Boris Pasternak. Check it out for sure. (There is also an amazing film based on the book,also called Dr. Zhivago, which I believe won an oscar many yrs ago starring Omar Shariff and Julie Christie. But I would suggest you read the book first, as I reader I am sure you know that the book is always the best, though as far as movies go, this is an amazing translation!!)