Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > ArtsBeat: Jim Morrison Is Pardoned in Indecent Exposure Case >Patti/ Patty Smith/Smyth

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/201...

Morrison, the lead singer for the Doors, was convicted in 1970 following a raucous performance where witnesses said they saw him expose himself.

Does it really matter anymore?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments no, except for those receiving royalties from his music.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't think it ever affected their royalties. I think it might have been a contributing factor to his death, though. If they hadn't canceled that tour, maybe he wouldn't have been in Paris, etc...

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mr. Morrison appealed his judgment and sentence; however, he died before the appeal was heard. His death prevented him from exercising his right to a direct appeal, a right given to every American by the United States Constitution. If his appeal had been heard, a reviewing court could have resolved the controversies surrounding his conviction.

In addition, at the time of Morrison’s death, a convicted defendant who died before his appeal was heard was entitled to have the conviction dismissed so that he was again presumed innocent. This doctrine, known as “abatement ab initio,” wiped the slate clean – as though the conviction had never taken place. A pardon corrects the fact that Mr. Morrison is now unable to take advantage of the presumption of innocence that is the cornerstone of the American criminal justice system.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I woke up this morning and got myself a beer.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) heh heh yeah

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Morrison and his peen.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori And why was this necessary anyway? Nice use of tax dollars.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i once got arrested for indecent exposure. they had to release me for lack of evidence.....

ba-doom-pa! thank you thank you...i'll be here til sunday. please tip your waitress....

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Lori wrote: "And why was this necessary anyway? Nice use of tax dollars."

I thought the same thing. There's nothing better to do in Florida? No bigger problems? But then again I hate the fucking Doors and that bloated asshole singer.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori RA! My buddy! I never liked the Doors either!!

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
Jim Morrison is so sexy.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was in love with him when I was in 8th grade.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oooooh, me too. And/or Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison at that time. But when I was a junior or senior in college I couldn't get enough of the sound of his voice.

message 15: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Dec 10, 2010 09:55AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Morrison, poetry, his trouser snake... Feh. Rock and roll ain't poetry, Jimbo. Pass that on to Patti Smith.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments high-fives Clark

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Who is Patti Smith?

message 18: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "But Patti Smith is overrated, too, and no one wants to see her naked."

"Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" is an unbelievable way to open an album ("Gloria" from her first album, "Horses") but I thought most everything else fell flat.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Horses is pretty good.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24391 comments Mod
King Dinösaur wrote: "But Patti Smith is overrated, too, and no one wants to see her naked."

Is this the Patty Smyth that John McEnroe was married to? How many Patti/Patty Smith/Smyths are there? Who just wrote that award-winning book?

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Smith not smyth.

message 22: by Lori (last edited Dec 11, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Lori Her recently released book is supposed to be excellent, I don't read non-fiction usually, but I'm tempted by hers.

I love her cover of Hey Joe.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I loved her recent book, Just Kids. And I love her. I don't care what you say. She's punk and she's badass. Horses and Easter are both excellent albums. She's great live. I saw her reach down and rip all of the strings off her guitar for a finale. Her band always kicks ass. I think I've said this before, but she pretty much saved me from my own bad instincts with a speech she gave at a conference for women in music where my band showcased. She said she had two pieces of advice: one was to go to the dentist, because you only get one set of teeth. I hadn't been in ten years at that point, and I made the appointment the next week.
The other was that there is no shame in having a day job to support your art. I had been living VERY poor for a number of years by that time, in the name of being an artist. I paid my bills, but barely. And she said it can be very freeing as an artist to be able to do the things you want instead of the things you feel you have to do. She was absolutely right.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I saw her reach down and rip all of the strings off her guitar for a finale. "

I guess if it kept her from playing it any more, that ain't all bad.

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7149 comments Back at you Sarah Pi. I also adore Smith. In high school I wanted to BE her. I especially love the way she wears a pair of Levis. Sigh.

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Jim Morrison: big sigh.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7149 comments Jim Morrison never did much for me.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) He didn't light my fire either.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7149 comments Larry wrote: "He didn't light my fire either."

Larry you're killing me.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Cynthia wrote: "Larry wrote: "He didn't light my fire either."

Larry you're killing me."

Do you need us to call the police? :-)

message 31: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "I think the best thing Patti Smith did was marry Fred "Sonic" Smith.

R.I.P. Fred."

Amen.

message 32: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7149 comments Jim, just call ROX-Anne!

message 33: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments MC5 and the Doors are able to cohabitate on my musical devices with no significant disagreement.

message 34: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Morrison probably had a small dick anyway, so it wouldn't have matter if he did flash his dinger, because no one would have been able to see it.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Don't stand so close to me!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.