Books are my life... discussion

IMPORTANT INFO FOR THE GROUP > Bulletin Board

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather B, Your Moderator (last edited Apr 04, 2013 08:34PM) (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) | 1345 comments Mod
Hi everyone (:

Here is where we will be posting new or up and coming things in the group. This is meant to keep everyong up to date on group activities. So, we suggest that everyone checks this thread out every so often.

We're going to ask that people please do not make comments on the post in here. If you have a question about any of the post you can message either of use and we will gladly help you out. This is to try and keep this thread as neat and organized as possible so it is easy for everyone to follow. Most topics that come up here will have there own discussions where you can find out more about them.

Happy Reading All :)

Your Mods

Teri-Lynn and Heather

message 2: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

New Moderators

I don't have as much time to spend on this group as I use to so I'm going to need some more help from you guys. I'm looking to add one or two more Moderators to help me keep this group up and running while I'm too busy to do it all myself.

So, that being said if any of you think you'd make a good Moderator for this group send me an inbox with the following information:

1) Your name
2) How long you have been a member of this group or the date you joined
3) Do you participate in group activities (group reads)
4) If you are a Mod in another or other groups list which ones
5) How many groups you are currently a member of
6) How often you come on to Goodreads (once a month, once a week, once a day, multiple times a day)
7) What you believe you would bring to the group

Anyone is allowed to apply and once I have all the applications in I will review them and get beck to everyone on who I will be making a new Moderator.

message 3: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

New Ideas

1) So, one of the group members gave me the idea to have someone let the group read discussions every month. This person would be someone that is going to read or has read the books themselves and are going to participate in the discussion. Their role would be to keep the discussion on the book active and interesting. They would pose questions on the book and leave comments about what they think, starting with the beginning of the book and working to the end by the end of the month. One question could be “What was your first impression of the book from reading the first chapter or few pages?”. This will keep the discussion going. Asking questions and leaving comments about all aspects of the novel will deepen the conversation and get people really thinking. Discuss things such as; characters, setting, plot, fact vs, fiction, predictions, impressions, imagery, etc. You are free to discuss anything that you think about the book.

2) A second idea I had was maybe holding more than just two monthly group reads to give more options to everyone. But they would be done a little differently. I would have a group read for different genres, so one for young adults, classics, non-fiction, general fiction, etc. This would mean that there is more likely a book for everyone in the group. I want everyone to participate and enjoy the group reads.

3) A final idea I’ve been thinking about is having partnered reads. This is something I’m still working on figuring out exactly how to make it work but here’s the ideas I have so far. I would get a list of everyone who is willing to participate in it and get them to provide some basic information about what they like to read, I’d have set questions for everyone to answer. Then based on everyone’s interests pair them up with someone else in the group participating. From there the two would exchange recommendations based on what they have read and what the other person owns or can get to read. From there they would take one of the suggestions from each other and each read the book suggested by the other. As they each read their books they can discuss them with each other. Both would be reading a different novel, but the other would have already read or is reading it. This is just basics of the idea and I still need to work on it a little, but I think it would be a great way to get recommendations and share ideas.

Please let me know your thoughts on any of the following ideas, and please share any others you have with me. I would love to hear ideas from all of you.

Ideas link

message 4: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Monthly Group Reads ◙♦•

We are now taking book nominations for October. You may nominate a book from any genre you wish. If the list get to be too long we will randomly select the books that the group will be voting on. Once all the nominations are in and the list is composed we will post a poll for all members of the group interested in participating to vote on.

We will take nominations up until September 15th, 2012.

Rule:
♦ Each member may nominate one book, unless otherwise stated
♦ You can not nominate a book that the group has already read
♦ The book must be a stand-alone or the first in a series

Poll:
To be posted later...

Link:
Nominations here

message 5: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Reading Buddies ◙♦•

Time Frame:
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Finish Date: October 30, 2012

You can now sign up to join our reading buddies for October 2012. This activity is designed to allow you to read and discuss a book in a simpler way without getting the whole groups thoughts thrown at you. It's also a great way to discover a new book that you may not have thought to read before.

People will be paired up in groups of two, possibly three depending on our numbers. Once you have your reading buddy assigned to you, you both may work on choosing a book together. You can comunicate through your inboxes or there will be a thread in the group for you and your buddy to use to discuss your choice.

Sign ups will be open until September 18, 2012. Then I will post a list of all the reading buddies.

How to sign up:
♦ Leave a post below
♦ With your name
♦ The genre(s) you most like to read
♦ A short list of books you were thinking of reading in the near future
♦ If you already have a buddy in mind post their name

If someone post a book that you were also thinking of reading that month you can ask them if they'd like to be your buddy. This will make it easier to find someone that has the same taste in books as you do.

Example of a sign up:
♦ My name is Tom
♦ My favourite genres are mystery and true crime
♦ I'm thiinking of reading:
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteMurder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson
♦ I don't mind being paired with anyone

Link:

message 6: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Monthly Group Read ~ March ◙♦•

Hi everyone,

We would like to start the group reads again for March. So this means we need suggestions.

Because St. Patrick's Day is the big Holiday in March I was thinking that for a theme this month we would do green.

So anyone who has a book that they would like to read as a group in March people let us know in the Group Read folder.

[image error]

Theme/Genre:
Green

Date/Time:
March 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

Books that fit the theme/genre:
♦ A book with the word green in the title
♦ A book with an author having the name Green
♦ A book with green as a prominent colour on the cover

Link:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 7: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Reading the Seasons ~ Spring ◙♦•

Here is another fun challenge for you all to try. It will last four months each time. As it is too late to do the Winter challenge we will start with Spring. This challenge will start on March 20, 2013. But in the mean time you can plan it out here.

Goal:
Complete the challenge by reading the books fitting each section

Time Frame:
Start Date: March 20, 2013
Finish Date: June 20, 2013

Rules/Instructions:
This challenge will have three sections to it.

First Section: Read the Season
♦ Read a book for each letter of the season
♦ The letter can be found as the first letter of a word in the title (excluding: the, a, an, and, etc.)
♦ The letter can be found as the first letter of the authors name (first name or last name)
♦ If there are two of the same letters in the word (example: Summer) you must choose a different book for each of the letters
♦ These can not be books from one of the other sections of the challenge, they must be completely different books to count

Second Section: Read in the Season
♦ Choose a book that is set primarily in the time of that season
♦ This can not be a book from one of the other sections of the challenge, it must be a completely different book to count

Third Section: Read a New Book to The Season
♦ Choose a new release from that season and year
♦ This can not be a book from one of the other sections of the challenge, it must be a completely different book to count

Example:
See my challenge HERE for a set up example

Link:

message 8: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Our New Moderator ◙♦•

Hi everyone,

I would like to let everyone know that we have a new Mod in the group. Teri-Lynnt has graciously volunteered to help out in the group as a Mod. So, I'd like to thank her on behalf of the group.

message 9: by Teri-lynn (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) No thanks is needed!

I look forward to getting this group rocking again!

message 10: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Reading From A...Z - Titles ◙♦•

This challenge is now open and ready. Any book read in 2013 can count toward this challenge!

Goal
Read a book for each letter of the alphabet!

Time Frame
January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013

Link

message 11: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Book Scavenger Hunt ◙♦•

Here is a fun challenge that anyone can participate in. It's designed to be fun and fairly simple. Over the next year you will be "hunting" for specific items as you your books or audiobooks.

Goal:
Find the listed items in the books or audiobooks that you read.

Time Frame:
Start Date: September 1, 2012
Finish Date: August 31, 2013

Link

message 12: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Reading Bingo ◙♦•

Here is a fun challenge for you all to try out. I’m sure everyone has played Bingo before or at least knows what it is. So this is going to be a spinoff of that. It works much the same as bingo, but instead of it being a game of probabilities I’ve turned it into a challenge for you all. Read book from the different categories and fill up your card.

Goal
To get as many Bingos as you can!

Time Frame
February 20, 2013 - December 31, 2013

Link

message 13: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Around the World in 80 Books ◙♦•

Here is a more challenging challenge for you all to try. There is no time limit on this one so you have as long as you need.

Goal
Read a books from/set in all 80 countries on the list.

Time Frame
None or set your own

Link

message 14: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Read Your Birthday Challenge ◙♦•

Here's another fun challenge for you guys to try. It's all based on your Birthday and super easy to follow. So everyone can do it!

Goal:
Read three books or audiobooks based on your Birthday.

Time Frame:
There is no set time line for this challenge. So, take your time or set your own time frame for yourself.

Link

message 15: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Attacking Your To-Be-Read Pile ◙♦•

Goal
Read as many books off of your TBR pile as possible.

Time Frame
On going

Link

message 16: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ April Monthly Group Read 2013 ◙♦•

Here are the books the group is reading in April.

The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea by Sebastian Junger

It was the storm of the century� a tempest created by so rare a combination of factors that meteorologists deemed it "the perfect storm."

When it struck in October, 1991, there was virtually no warning. "She's comin' on, boys, and she's comin' on strong," radioed Captain Billy Tyne of the Andrea Gail from off the coast of Nova Scotia. Soon afterward, the boat and its crew of six disappeared without a trace.

The Perfect Storm is a real-life thriller, a stark and compelling journey into the dark heart of nature that leaves listeners with a breathless sense of what it feels like to be caught, helpless, in the grip of a force beyond understanding or control.

Link

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson

In Thunderstruck, Erik Larson tells the interwoven stories of two men—Hawley Crippen, a very unlikely murderer, and Guglielmo Marconi, the obsessive creator of a seemingly supernatural means of communication—whose lives intersect during one of the greatest criminal chases of all time.

Set in Edwardian London and on the stormy coasts of Cornwall, Cape Cod, and Nova Scotia, Thunderstruck evokes the dynamism of those years when great shipping companies competed to build the biggest, fastest ocean liners, scientific advances dazzled the public with visions of a world transformed, and the rich outdid one another with ostentatious displays of wealth. Against this background, Marconi races against incredible odds and relentless skepticism to perfect his invention: the wireless, a prime catalyst for the emergence of the world we know today. Meanwhile, Crippen, “the kindest of men,” nearly commits the perfect crime.

With his superb narrative skills, Erik Larson guides these parallel narratives toward a relentlessly suspenseful meeting on the waters of the North Atlantic. Along the way, he tells of a sad and tragic love affair that was described on the front pages of newspapers around the world, a chief inspector who found himself strangely sympathetic to the killer and his lover, and a driven and compelling inventor who transformed the way we communicate. Thunderstruck presents a vibrant portrait of an era of séances, science, and fog, inhabited by inventors, magicians, and Scotland Yard detectives, all presided over by the amiable and fun-loving Edward VII as the world slid inevitably toward the first great war of the twentieth century. Gripping from the first page, and rich with fascinating detail about the time, the people, and the new inventions that connect and divide us, Thunderstruck is splendid narrative history from a master of the form.

Link

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming

Link

message 17: by Heather B, Your Moderator (new)

•♦◙ Theme/Genre Ideas ◙♦•

Hey everyone,

We need all your help coming up with themes and genres for the monthly group reads.
They can be general or very specific. Anything creative is always fun too.

We are now looking for theme/genre ideas for both May and June.

Link