The Bloody Book Club! discussion

Books! > SNOW by Ronald Malfi

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Blood | 196 comments Mod
I've added SNOW as this month's book. Someone told me that this takes place at Christmas, so I figure it's as good as any!

message 2: by Eric (new)

Anyone else reading this book, or have read it previously? I'm almost finished with it (damn holiday shopping really delayed my reading!), and I am enjoying it! I always liked stories that take place during Christmas, even if they aren't really "Christmas stories." Like Die Hard for example - that's a great Christmas movie that isn't really a Christmas movie!

Anyway, I would recommend Snow (if you can still find it that it - poor Leisure Books - sob, sob) - it's a fun read!

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 36 comments I'd already read this one and did enjoy it! I live in the desert so it's always fun to read stories in the snow.

Finally got around to starting the Die Hard movies a few months ago. Watched the first two and they're fun.

I'll miss Leisure too :( It was like receiving presents in the mail, never knowing what would show up next.

message 4: by Eric (new)

I know, Leisure was so great and around for so long - I guess I just kind of took them for granted! Now there's not really any publishers that have a line of mass market horror books. Oh well :(

I'm glad you finally got to see the Die Hard movies - great stuff!

message 5: by Eric (new)

I finally finished Snow the other day, and although I did like the book, I'm surprised that so many people ranked it as one of the year's best (this is what I've read on other various websites and such). Like I said, I did like it, so I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just didn't think it was the greatest thing in the world, either.

Oh, well. To each his (or her) own!

And again, all that being said, I did still like the book!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 25 comments Snow actually got some really bad reviews here, and people over at HA were lukewarm about it. I really liked it, but it didn't exactly blow my mind. I like stranded-in-the-middle-of-nowhere stories.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dunbar It's almost embarrassing that I've got this whole "hurray for Ron Malfi" thing going on. Me? A fan? SO out of character. Never mind. I'm just going to go with it. But don't just read his Leisure novels (which I suspect may have been written at a slightly 'different' level). He's a really talented writer.

Shamrock Alley by Ronald Damien Malfi
The Ascent by Ronald Malfi
The Fall of Never by Ronald Damien Malfi
Passenger by Ronald Damien Malfi

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 25 comments I'll have to check those out... thanks, Robert! I liked Snow, so I'd imagine his non-Leisure books are much better!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Amy, I've heard others say similar things about other writers regarding Leisure books. As Leisure has always been my primary source for horror books, I don't have too much experience with Leisure writers' works from other publishers. Do other publishers tend to put out better stories by these writers in your opinion? I know I've heard that Edward Lee's non-Leisure stuff is usually much gorier and such, so that's always a good thing!