Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
Archived 2011 Group Reads > Lord of the Rings 00.1: (Prequel) The Hobbit - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Loretta (lorettalucia) The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien The Hobbit: or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

For those of you joining in a (completely optional) pre-read of The Hobbit prior to our group read of The Lord of the Rings, the following is the schedule. Please let me know if you think it should be altered. The page counts are on the higher side for a couple reasons: (1) this read is completely optional, and though edifying, is not necessary for the understanding of the LOTR, so I'm keeping the page count high to reflect the ambitious nature of those opting to read it (LOL); and (2) because I'm sure those who aren't reading The Hobbit are eager to get to LOTR ASAP.

(1) December 19-25 - Chapter 1-6, pages 1-102
(2) December 26-January 1 - Chapters 7-10, pages 103-181
(3) January 2-8 - Chapters 11-19, pages 182-272

When everyone agrees on this schedule, I'll post one thread in this folder for the discussion of The Hobbit (and update it in bold at the beginning of each week, so you know that the next chunk will be discussed below). The LOTR read will have a separate thread for each week's chunk, as is our usual custom.

Sound good?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (bibliocrates) Sounds good, if I can find me a copy to read...

Suzanne (thysanura) Ooh, I'd been thinking of rereading this recently, so I will join in the fun. :)

Thanks for setting up the schedule!

message 4: by Loretta (last edited Dec 17, 2010 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loretta (lorettalucia) Reminder everyone: We're starting this on Sunday. I'll post the thread either late night Saturday or early Sunday morning.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (bibliocrates) I ordered a copy.

Andrea I just downloaded the Hobbic and I'm going to TRY a bit and see if I can get into it! No promises...hahaha

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (bibliocrates) It's good Andrea.

Elena I listened to the audio, it was excellent. It is really a radio show that once existed of the LOTR. All kind of voices and sounds, I really liked it. I then tried the audio for the first book of the trilogy, but I had problem understanding the different accents in the voices. I have the paperback now.