SDPL Staff Reading Program 2011 discussion

Bookshelf Forums > World Cooking

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Feb 01, 2011 07:39PM) (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 31 comments Mod
World Cooking: I have a feeling this will be one of the favorite topics among library staff! As staff members, how would you suggest bringing the aroma of international cooking into the library? What are your ideas for celebrating international cuisine with library patrons this summer?

Use this forum to talk about your suggestions. Or start or join a conversation to discuss your reading recommendations. Some works are featured in the World Cooking bookshelf. Other works have yet to be recommended by you!

Special thanks go to the Collaborative Summer Library Program for providing a reading list for this theme.

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita (ritabook2) | 5 comments Mod
How about doing a big international potluck at the end of SOAR? Is anyone interested? If so, I'll check out meeting room availability ; )

message 3: by Ina (new)

Ina | 4 comments Rita - this is a great idea! I would enjoy meeting everyone F2F.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 31 comments Mod
I'm in! Great idea! Kristen

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 3 comments Great idea! I'm in, too!

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina Wainwright | 9 comments Mod
Great suggestion, Rita! It's one of those "everyone wins" ideas. :)

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 5 comments Mod
Sounds yummy!

message 8: by Christina (new)

I was just thinking about what we could do during the summer, when we do the SRP with the public. Perhaps provide regional food at that month's book discussion group, for participants to enjoy before (and possibly during)? We did a party at the end of our SRP for finishers at a local restaurant, but a potluck might also work. What do you think?

message 9: by Rita (new)

Yay!!! I'll ask Brenda to check out the meeting room schedule at MV....

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy | 50 comments Mod
A potluck for the end of SOAR sounds like a great idea! Thanks Rita!

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 4 comments Mod
The Meeting Room at MV is available on Saturday,May 15th. Thursday, May 12th, we have BabySigns from 3:30pm-4:00pm. If it would be after hours, we are always available because we do not book any meetings, besides Read San Diego, after we close.

message 12: by Christina (new)

I think we should do it outside of work hours, because it would be too hard to schedule coverage for all the staff who might want to attend. Plus, since it is an optional program (both the SOAR and the potluck) it it makes sense to do it off of work time.

message 13: by Rita (new)

So what do you all think: Thursday night or Saturday afternoon?

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy | 50 comments Mod
Perhaps Thursday night might be better. I'd vote for May 12 or 19.

message 15: by Christina (new)

We're still trying to confirm exactly when the post-SOAR potluck will be held. Quick question for attendees: are you interested in playing games? We could test-drive some of the games that are in the SRP manual. Or would you rather just munch and mingle?

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy | 50 comments Mod
Save the date! We are having an International Potluck on Thursday, May 12, 6 pm at Mission Valley Library! More info to follow shortly!

message 17: by Ina (new)

Ina | 4 comments I am soooo disappointed that I will not be able to attend the potluck!
Unfortunately, I will be out of town at a business thing of my husband's....I'll be there in spirit!