SDPL Staff Reading Program 2011 discussion

Bookshelf Forums > Movies without Borders

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Feb 01, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 31 comments Mod
There's so much we can talk about when it comes to movies and books! Which was better, the novel or the film? What are some fascinating stories written about the making of a film? Movies made around the world inspire us to read about other cultures and talk about some places we might otherwise never have seen before.

This topic thread is devoted to the bookshelf for Movies without Borders. Browse the Movies without Borders bookshelf for books to add to your reading list this summer. Rate and review books as you read them. And join in on the conversations in this forum.

Use this topic thread to start or join a conversation based on Movies without Borders . Recommend books or movies to your coworkers and friends. Have fun and happy reading!

Special thanks go to the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLA) for providing this reading list.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 31 comments Mod
Are there any staff members who are interested in the Patrick O'Brian series? I loved the film, and it has been a wonderful journey to read the books! I'm hoping to hear which books are your favorites, or if you have comments on the film, Master and Commander: Far Side of the World?

Something that might interest our patrons, in addition to the series and the movie, is our own San Diego Maritime Museum, where the HMS Rose, the ship used to portray the HMS Surprise, is now docked.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 4 comments I'm always interested in finding out what book-to-movie adaptations are the best. It's so hard to find movies that remain true to the text, or that make changes yet still keep the flavor of the book. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any titles (especially relating to this year's SRP theme) that are must-see movie versions of books? A few "classics" in my opinion are Field of Dreams (based on the book Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella) or Fried Green Tomatoes (based on Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe). Both stray from the book a bit but still result in solid films. Any other recommendations?