Away Away discussion

AWAY A NOVEL

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rochelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rochelle Great story. Beautiful and wonderful epic novel.Russian story.Beautiful account of immigrant in 1926. Book filled with humor and wit.

Elizabeth So I am not exactly sure what happened with this ending.

Leslie I agree...the ending was a strange. It's sad that they were so close but never connected!

Melanie Elizabeth wrote: "So I am not exactly sure what happened with this ending. "

I think it was a reflection of the times. The fact that they actually had a life seemed to be enough for them. I don't know "connecting" might have been too sappy of an ending.

Filiz Leslie wrote: "I agree...the ending was a strange. It's sad that they were so close but never connected!"

I'm with Melanie. I had no expectation that she would find her daughter and would have found the ending unbelievably sappy if she had. The fact that she found happiness at all in the end was a pleasant and satisfying surprise.

Colleen I'm also confused about the ending. I'm assuming she actually did meet up with John Bishop again although it's not clear if that was real or a hallucination. Since you learn what happens to each of the other major characters in the book, I'm assuming that it was real. But I hate it when I'm not entirely sure!

Isabella Queirouz At least she found a true love in the end, but I wasn't really convinced about just that one way to reach the place where her daughter was. And she stops so close. It's like one hungry person under one tree full of apples and this person keeps only staring unable to reach the fruit.