Historical Tour de Genre discussion

Challengers > Charlie

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (bitsyblingbooks) | 61 comments Mod
I have some ideas, but I'm waiting to see what other suggestions come through because I know I will find lots and lots of books I MUST add :)

message 2: by Charlie (last edited Dec 11, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
5 Star Review posted at Bitsy Bling Books-The Vespertine
Genre: Historical Paranormal, Historical Young Adult
Official Release: 3/7/11
I received this ARC for review. I've blown through the pages and stayed up half the night reading it. Had a hard time putting it down and can't wait to see how it ends. I love it when a book completely surprises me.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

What does the group think about the book Soulless by Gail Carriger for a historical sub-genre. I'm reading it right now and can't decide if it really fits into this challenge. It is set in Victorian London and is steampunk.... waffling here and need input.
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 4: by JoLene (last edited Jan 04, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) I read this book last summer. I think that it would either fit under the paranormal category since it involves werewolves or the fantasy category (in general, Steampunk is considered a sub-genre of fantasy, I believe). I think that you can make an argument for fitting into the Victorian category as well but it depends on if you have other things that fit into that category that you want to read ;-)

I found it to be an interesting mix of genres, but something about the book is a bit awkward. I'll let you finish and then comment more ;-)

message 5: by Charlie (new)

Yes, it is awkward and I don't know what to do with it. I think I have more questions than answers upon finishing. My brain hurts now :) This presents a good book for discussion. As far as category, I'm going to place it in the fantasy for an alternative category. I know I will read many more books this year that will fit better, but for the sake of discussion I think this is an interesting book to consider when thinking about stretching sub-genres and historical related novels.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) Charlie wrote: "What does the group think about the book Soulless by Gail Carriger for a historical sub-genre. I'm reading it right now and can't decide if it really fits into this challenge. It is set in Victor..."

I would definitely put it in the fantasy category!

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) Charlie wrote: "The Vespertine (Vespertine, #1) by Saundra Mitchell
5 Star Review posted at Bitsy Bling Books-The Vespertine
Genre: Historical Paranormal, Historical Young Adult
Official Release: 3/7/11
I received this ARC for r..."

I've got a digital ARC of this. I need to hurry up and read it!

message 8: by Charlie (last edited Jan 22, 2011 12:39AM) (new)

message 9: by Charlie (new)

I am reading
India Black by Carol K. Carr

message 10: by Charlie (new)

I'm stuck on Madame Tussaud A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran at the moment. It's very ho-hum for me. A lot of her sculpting, walking, and descriptions of clothing. That's about it so far. Will plug along and see if things pick up.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Charlie wrote: "I'm stuck on Madame Tussaud A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran at the moment. It's very ho-hum for me. A lot of her sculpting, walking, and descriptions of clothing. That's ab..."

I hope it does pick up; Marie Tussaud's story is fascinating.

message 12: by Charlie (new)

I finished Madame Tussaud A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran

It is an interesting time to read this story. My critical lit. brain was hard at work as I thought about the French Revolution and what is currently happening in the Middle East. I find some interesting parallels. Historical fiction traditionalists will like this book. I gave it 5 stars because it is solid. The book toes the line between a history book and fiction. It was a touch dry and in my opinion 'cold' feeling. Very academic and lacking sensuality. With everything happening I actually felt very little emotionally. However, I have immense respect for the amount of research and understand the difficulty and boundaries presented.

message 13: by Charlie (new)

The Ice Cradle A Novel from the Ghost Files by Mary Ann Winkowski
Paranormal historical fiction

Fans of the hit TV series Ghost Whisperer will love The Ice Cradle. Mary Ann Winkowski is a consultant for the show and also the co-author of this incredible story. Ice Cradle has it all and without doubt covers several genres including: historical, paranormal, romance, political, environmental and mystery. It is also a clean read that is suitable for a broad range of ages. This is more than a paranormal investigation story. Thematically, it appeals to a reader on several levels. The historical elements provide a background to the haunting, but also raise the debate about disrupting burial sites for the sake of progress – or in this case, developing wind energy. Should the past trump the future? How should the living honor the dead? Anza O’Malley’s gift reminds us that what is important varies person to person, and although we have good intentions, sometimes a compromise is the best we can hope to accomplish. There are no good and bad guys, but a string of events, interests and perceptions all interacting and colliding on many planes, at the same time. Ice Cradle is a complex story that reads easy and is entirely entertaining while at the same time being thought provoking. This is a difficult task to achieve, but Winkowski and Foley have done it!

message 14: by Charlie (new)

The Reservoir by John Milliken Thompson
Historical fiction based on true murder mystery

Based on a true murder mystery, The Reservoir presents an intriguing case that unfolds or rather, is encountered much like a detective might expect to experience during a real investigation. Through the uncovering, characters, events and suspicions arise and often take on new meaning and point in various directions. At varying points in the story, the innocent appear guilty, and the guilty, innocent. Many plausible scenarios develop making it difficult to guess what the truth, if any, will ever be revealed. By the end, you'll wonder if the conclusion is sincere or have you been mislead to believe an acceptable truth? Much like real-life, nothing is certain and it can be a murky business unveiling the responsible. The Reservoir will leave you questioning who is to blame in this tragic event. It seems circumstance, gender, class and human nature all have a hand in driving the plot to its conclusion.

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey
Paranormal Historical Fiction/Young Adult

Behind the Victorian curtain lurks a secret fascination with the after-life. The science and seance of mediums, performance, magic and paranormal are invited into the drawing rooms of elite society and pray on the grief stricken and bored. The Gothic darkness paired with the proper etiquette of the era makes for a scandalised mixture that is both historically interesting as well as mesmerizing. The macabre halls, hauntings and visual images are authentic and remind me of The Castle of Otranto by Horace Warpole, a classic example of gothic horror. Although Violet's character might feel modern at times, it is vital to remember that women of her situation were allowed greater freedoms. Her spirit is captivating and her mother a perfect Victorian villain set on exploiting whatever she can to survive in a world where men determine and control everything.

message 16: by Charlie (new)

[bookc Behind the Victorian curtain lurks a secret fascination with the after-life. The science and seance of mediums, performance, magic and paranormal are invited into the drawing rooms of elite society and pray on the grief stricken and bored. The Gothic darkness paired with the proper etiquette of the era makes for a scandalised mixture that is both historically interesting as well as mesmerizing. The macabre halls, hauntings and visual images are authentic and remind me of The Castle of Otranto by Horace Warpole, a classic example of gothic horror. Although Violet's character might feel modern at times, it is vital to remember that women of her situation were allowed greater freedoms. Her spirit is captivating and her mother a perfect Victorian villain set on exploiting whatever she can to survive in a world where men determine and control everything.over
[bookcover:Conquistadora|9678869]