Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > Anybody Heard of Illustrator Jiří Trnka?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I got my hands on Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales illustrated by Jiri Trnka. They are lovely pictures! I had never heard of him, but evidently he is famous?

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Dec 08, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

Kathryn | 6162 comments Mod
The name doesn't sound familiar to me and I'm bummed there are no images on his books here on GoodReads. But, I guess he has done more than just illustrations. I want to see some of his work now! All I can find on Amazon is his puppet films and the library here doesn't have any of his books :-(

"'Jiri Trnka -- Walt Disney Of The East!'
This was the heading of an article written by an English journalist after he saw Trnka's wide screen puppet feature film The Midsummer Night's Dreamat the Cannes Film Festival in 1959." --
http://www.awn.com/mag/issue5.04/5.04...

Jiří Trnka (Czech pronunciation: [ˈjɪr̝iː ˈtr̩ŋka]) (24 February 1912, Plzeň - 30 December 1969, Prague) was a Czech puppet maker, illustrator, motion-picture animator and film director, renowned for his stop motion puppet animations.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is a blog page I found.

http://one1more2time3.wordpress.com/2...

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

OMG! Those are WONDERFUL illustrations. I love them! Thanks for finding that, Jeannette :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome. :)

message 6: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Wow, thanks for that blog page. His illustrations are nice, aren't they? :-) I am being really careful with the book as I think it probably can not be bought easily!!!!! (Makes me nervous, though......)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I imagine they are out of print, except maybe in Czech Republic. He even has a museum in Pilsen. I found it through google.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Chandra wrote: "I love the images on the link that Jeanette provided! So fun! The style reminds me ever so slightly of Gyo Fujikawa."

It looks like my library had his books at one time, but the entry is blank. Somebody snatched up one of these lovely old books for a dollar at the book sale!

I like the cover for Legends of Old Bohemia, Abigail.

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Chandra wrote: "I love the images on the link that Jeanette provided! So fun! The style reminds me ever so slightly of Gyo Fujikawa."

YES!!! Now that you mention it, that's who I was thinking of, too!

And, thanks for adding that cover art, Abigial. At least it's something...

message 10: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I love Gyo Fujikawa! Yes, I was thinking the same thing! That "Legends of Old Bohemia" looks cool.