Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Comments from Nathan Bransford's Survey About Ebook Vs. Print

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

Just posting this here because I saw Nathan Bransford (ex-literary agent now author) put up his recent survey about ebooks and how many people are into them. He did it last year so I thought it was great to follow up. I remember last year's survey. The responses were a bit different. LOL.

I used to be in the Never camp too when it came to ebooks. Now I love them. I see a lot of people who commented were the same in terms of "never" but now only reading ebooks.

Maybe we should have an ebook category in the group since we talk a lot about them. Just a suggestion. LOL.

I just found the comments entertaining so I wanted to share.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 2: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Dec 08, 2010 01:24PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I actually didn't like the poll because it doesn't take into account those of us who like both print and e-books. It seems a little absolutist to me. However, the responses were far more nuanced and it was nice to see people who still prefer the written word actually on paper.

message 3: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments I've never been a "cold dead hander," and I'm a real gadget girl, so the switch wasn't hard for me. If I can't get a book on my Kindle, I don't have a problem buying it it paper. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading in bed and got really annoyed at how heavy the book I was reading felt ...

Chicki Brown

message 4: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Dec 09, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I figure instead of buying a Kindle or a Nook, I'd just buy a tablet PC (NOT an iPad though). I saw several on CNET that looked pretty interesting and received good reviews. That way I get it all--a full-on computer and an e-book reader. Not to mention Kindles have that nasty little program which allows Amazon to delete books at will, and without notifying the customer until after the fact. That's just too Big Brother for me.

I'll still always love and want my paper and hardback books though. They're like comfort food for the soul.

message 5: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6625 comments Mod
One of the sisters from my church won an Ipad at our sisterhood retreat.

message 6: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I thought some of the comments were interesting and even funny. I still read paper books, even though I'm an e-book convert.

BTW Vixenne, I didn't know Amazon did that. That's kind of shocking. I vaguely remember reading that they deleted a book...I think it was 1984...and people who had the Kindle could no longer access it. That sucks.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments Vixenne - I agree about the absolute either/or philosophy. I tend to prefer my e-reader because of ease of access, the embedded dictionary if I don't know a word, the way I can quickly highlight and find an interesting quote when I want to review etc. But if a book is not yet digitized and I want it, I have no problem getting it on paper. I prefer e-reading now, but I don't scoff at paper.

But....I love graphic novels. And no e-reader, can replicate the look of the art on the glossy paper. the Ipad comes close, but for graphic novels, especially those that are full color, glossy pape throughout, I need the book.

Also, re: Amazon 1984 debacle. Bezos acknowledged that they handled that all wrong. They did not have the digital rights to sell the book and rather than simply no longer selling it, they did the knee-jerk thing and removed it. He has said that he will never do that again. But Amazon isn't the only e-tailer that has the ability to remove your purchases. All of them can do it. If you read the fine print on e-book buying you will see that you do not "own" the book, per se. You are leasing it. And the publisher(s) reserve the right to dictate how you use that book even up to and including your possession of it.

Of course, that is all smoke and mirrors. All you have to do is back up your books. You can save a complete copy of your inventory on your hard-drive or burn it to disk or put it on a flash drive etc. I have all my Amazon purchased books backed up in several places, so if Amazon ever does have a server problem or if they delete everything on my Kindle I simply pop them back on and keep on going.

message 8: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Tina, I'm so glad you're on our side. LOL. How do you know all this technical stuff? Do you work in the IT industry, or do you just have a good understanding of it?

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments LOL, DeLaney. I am a systems administrator which is a vague way of saying that I am given a technical system to learn (computer, software, database etc.) I learn it and then I go out and teach end users the best business practice on how to use it. Finally with ebooks, my two passions -- reading and technology -- have converged so i keep my ear on the ground in with the latest developments. I am also a gadget queen. I LOOOOOVEE tech toys.

message 10: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) That's cool. You're constantly learning. I'm a slow adapter. I'm cautious when it comes to new technology, but I'm usually happy once I jump on board.

message 11: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Dec 10, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments @Tina:

You make an even better case against e-books, LOL. When I purchase a book, it's mine to pretty much do with as I please, including throwing it against the nearest wall when it sucks! Can't do that with a Kindle. As far as Bezos is concerned, this isn't the first time Amazon has over-reacted to something. Remember the AmazonFail incident from last year?

You're correct about e-book retailers having the ability to delete purchases and frankly, that's a pretty scary concept. Even if you back up your e-books, they still know you have them. With a physical book, they can't prove it unless they actually come to your house and look for themselves. And you are so right about graphic novels!

I've always been wary of things like this ever since I read Farenheit 451. I love gadgets too (anything save from Apple), though I am trying to streamline, which is why a tablet PC would be awesome.

message 12: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I agree with you about streamlining, Vixenne. That's the drawback to gadgets. The key is to figuring out how to get the functionality without the added things. I use a netbook to read on. It's small, I have internet access on it, and it has a long battery life. It fits in my purse, and like the tablet, it has a keyboard if I want to write.

Since it's easy to download the apps I want, I'm not that worried about buying a Kindle or other handheld device. I have the convenience of reading e-books without having to go out and buy another gadget.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I've got to admit, I adore my netbook! I actually wrote my 50,000 word NaNoWriMo on it and for the most part use my HP Pavilion to watch movies and play City of Heroes on. Truth to tell, I will a piece of technology until it can't be used anymore. I don't believe in obsolescence.

message 14: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments I went to the dentist today, and she had her music playing from her iPad! I'm SO jealous ...

Chicki

message 15: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Dec 10, 2010 03:06PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I've got an 8gb mini SDHC card in my Samsung Highlight and play my music all the time. It's actually replaced my MP3 player for the most part. My ringtone is actually Christmas in Sarjevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

To be fair, e-books are and have been the greatest boon for interracial, gay and lesbian and other subgenres of romance that the bigger publishers wouldn't touch. I'll definitely support them because they give me what I like to read and as time goes on, a lot more variety because the e-pubs are willing to take the kinds of risks that the New York publishers won't.

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I am too much of a gadget head to streamline. I have compartmentalized use all my devices and use them for a specific purpose.

My cell phone is a simple flip phone used for voice and is text message capable. I only ever want to talk on my phone.

I use my kindle for reading. That is it. I don't read on any other device. It is a dedicated e-reader for a reason.

I use my Ipod Touch for music and audiobooks. But I also have a lot of cool apps on it, so it is one of the best little info "thingies" ever. The size makes it perfect. I can whip it out to figure a tip, make a quick note, find a restaurant no matter what city I am in, find the weather, so many cool little uses.

I have a sleek little tablet PC, but that is for work mostly.

I use the Ipad at home. My kids and husband love it, they all have their own uses for it. My biggest use for it is Netflix. OMG! Since I discovered we could stream movies & tv shows on that sucker I love it. I have always wanted to see Veronica Mars and I am almost done watching the first season of it. It is nice to just sit in bed, with the ear buds on and pick out the show or movie you want to watch and watch it. If I can't sleep and don't want to get out of bed or disturb my husband by putting on the light I'll bring up a show. We do take it when we travel by car though. We have a AAA triptick app which helps you to map and plan your route and it talks to you while you're driving, it uses the gps chip in the Ipad.

I know that by getting a smartphone I can probably get rid of at least two of the above devices, and when I next upgrade I probably will. I won't get an Iphone though. I think all the hype has made me anti-iphone.

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Tina. I'm a techy too. <3

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments And I'm the exact opposite. I need for my gadgets to multitask so I'm not carrying around a lot of stuff. I actually stopped carrying an MP3 player since my phone serves that function as well. I'm seriously considering the 'Droid since there are e-book apps for it. I'd like a tablet PC so it can be one machine for everything I do and be portable. Interestingly enough, I'm still a fan of the old pen and paper. Again, it's that tactile thing.

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, even though I love tech, I'd rather be efficient than carry around a handful of gadgets or rifle through them to accomplish a couple tasks, LOL.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I know, I know.... I have a problem. But the first step is admitting it, right? Lol. I actually only carry my phone, kindle and Ipod touch everywhere. I have three compartments in my purse, so I can put my hand on them anytime I need. But still... I'd miss one. Like a limb if I got rid of anything.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments The funny thing is when I buy purses now, they have to be large enough to hold my netbook, a notebook (I'm a huge fan of Circa by Levenger),several pens, a physical book and my phone, as well as my wallet and keys. Needless to say, designer handbags just don't cut it, though Betsey Johnson's Betseyville line does pretty well for me. And so does Hello Kitty, LOL.

message 22: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I'm old fashioned. E-readers are nice, but when it comes down to spending the money, I'd rather buy me a killer coat or find me performance clothes. I download e-books on my computer, that way it's mine. I still enjoy print, but honestly, if I can buy the e-book, I will because I make the screen real big and read the words.

message 23: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I don't know if I can read of a computer screen, it depends on the size of the screen I think. I have no problem reading from my bb. I want an e-reader for the size and space capacity. I also like the anonymity, think about it no one will ever see what you are reading on the train or bus. I am from NYC. Some people don't mind their business at all.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments I found my new toy on www.dynamism.com. It's a site for top-of-the line and brand new Japanese tech! It's a tablet PC that runs Android (yay no Apple)! Check out their watches and other gadgets, you'll drool!

message 25: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I have a 17 inch screen. My laptop and I are like glued at the hip. It sits on a pillow beside me and I can switch from reading to surfing and listen to my music all at the same time. If I bought an e-reader, I'd still have to wear glasses whereas with my big screen, I can comfortably read. My eyes are getting worse every year and I've resorted to wearing a magnifying glass around my neck just so I can read labels and other things. If I had the cash, maybe I'd think about an iPad, but I can't go smaller than that, it's a waste of cash.

message 26: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Chaeya, I have the same problem, but you can adjust the font size on Kindle up to about 24 pt.

message 27: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Then I have to scroll more, it's still too small for me. I prefer my 'puter still. ;o)

Chaeya