Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Where do you do your grocery shopping? > Canadian Milk is revolutionary!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I do about 50-50 farmer's market and Trader Joe's, with a little bit of specialty market thrown in.
Fruit, veggies, dairy products from the farmer's market, bread from a real bakery, and everything else from TJ.

Our local supermarket chains are Safeway, Giant, Superfresh, and Shoppers, but I generally don't go to them unless there's something I really can't get at my first choices.

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Kroger or Busch's.

Safeway is still around? They sponsored one of my little-league teams.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments They're around here, anyway.

We also have one super-beautiful Wegman's, but it's a little out of the way, and the parking lot is always hell.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments [image error]

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments TJ is great for fish, good for cereal and snacks and peanut butter and canned beans.

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments my store has excellent peanut butter.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I piece it together from various places. Our big store is Kroger, and they run the gamut, from basic to luxe, depending on the neighborhood. I do a little bit there, a little bit at Whole Foods, a bit at a great specialty store we have here called Lotsa Pasta (a bit pricey for stuff you can find other places, but they have some imported stuff you can only get there). For fruits and vegetables, I go first to Paul's Fruit Market, then pick the rest up here and there. Farmer's markets require a long drive and getting there before 10 or so on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't manage to make that happen very often.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "Oh, peanut butter!! I've been looking for a place to buy some decent peanut butter!"

It's decent. Not as good as fresh ground,but economical and full of options (low sodium, organic, etc).

message 9: by Michele (last edited Dec 08, 2010 02:23PM) (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Mostly at a chain called "Marketbasket". good prices. But I wish there was a "Whole Foods" or really large scale health food store that sold herbs and different kinds of healthy bread and different kinds of honey. That is what I miss most about living in an exurb rather than a city. Actually, I miss "Rainbow Grocery" in San Francisco. I loved that store.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Ha! I just came back from Trader Joes! I get there so infrequently, it's across I-5. Less than 5 miles but these city streets are so poorly engineered, well it's for Seattle when it was a town really.

I like Trader Joes a ton for healthy options of frozen food, snacks for Jake, dinners when I know I'm gonna crash before it's time to cook.

My supermarket is Greenlake Market and I love it there. It's not one of the beg franchises, there's only a few stores scattered around the area. Good organic and natural products, meats and fish (altho our meat is from a small farm YUM), and the usual suspects.

I have to go all over! Ken's Market is our local joint, if I could walk it would be an easy one, very good. Since it's not supersize, more expensive, but great for quick pick-up stuff.

Then there's the PCC, which is so groovy you would gag, but they have some products that the others don't have. Not cheap tho.

And finally, there's

COSTCO! For the bulk. And a cafe latte.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments So groovy you would gag - I'm intrigued. Although since we're talking about food, maybe I shouldn't be.

message 12: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I shop at BJ's Wholesale for bulk stuff, and two local chains, Acme and Marc's, for everything else.

message 13: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Mostly Aldi, Sam's Club, & Patel Groceries. Sometimes will go to Winn-Dixie or SweetBay if there are good sales.

When we lived in Wisconsin, again, it was mostly Aldi or Sam's. And Pick & Save, Sentry, or Sendiks for sales.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Rebecca - so PC and granola it even bugs an old hippy like me.

message 15: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Red & White (a local store. My dad claims that "people from up north" will drive all the way down here to Red & White just to get their country sausage), Lowes Foods....hmmm I think that's it.

We have a Kroger and a Whole Foods in Chapel Hill, and my mom LOVES it so much. When she comes to pick me up, she can get her wine, she says

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Jammies wrote: "I shop at BJ's Wholesale for bulk stuff, and two local chains, Acme and Marc's, for everything else."

Heh. You shop the same store as Wile E. Coyote. :)

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments

message 18: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Mostly at Marc's, and Giant Eagle.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Giant Eagle is such a strange name for a store. Went there when I lived in Pittsburgh.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
Goodness, you guys have a selection! I only go to King Soopers for staples and baby stuff, we get veggies, eggs, fruit and sometimes bread from our CSA.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Soopers?

message 22: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Phil wrote: "Jammies wrote: "I shop at BJ's Wholesale for bulk stuff, and two local chains, Acme and Marc's, for everything else."

Heh. You shop the same store as Wile E. Coyote. :)"

You can imagine the trauma when I went to Acme for the first time and they didn't have jet-powered rollerskates. :(

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't trust Acme their products never seem to work properly.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Commonly called Ac-a-me.

message 25: by Jammies (new)

Jammies FabulousRaye wrote: "Mostly at Marc's, and Giant Eagle."

Hi neighbor! :waves:

message 26: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) We shop primarily at the Great Canadian Superstore (or Stupidstore as I call it). We get our bread at Safeways because it has a better bakery.

FabulousRay has a Giant Eagle store; we have a Giant Tiger. It's the bargain basement for bargain basements. My husband keeps picking up things there. Last week, he bought canned tuna and freaked when there was only half the amount in the can than normal. I told him to quit buying food at Giant Tiger, because it's not food.

message 27: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Jammies wrote: "FabulousRaye wrote: "Mostly at Marc's, and Giant Eagle."

Hi neighbor! :waves:"

Hey! We really don't live that far away from each other. That's fabulous! =)

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Lori wrote: "Rebecca - so PC and granola it even bugs an old hippy like me."

Oh, I see!

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments You guys are making me giggle with those Acme comments.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Canadian milk comes in a bag?

Who knew.

message 31: by janine (last edited Dec 09, 2010 05:59AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments
he knew.

message 32: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Myles, if you are shopping at Hannaford's or MarketBasket then we must live within driving distance of each other!

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that reminds me...

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Phil, everyone owns a little plastic pitcher that the milk bag fits into. You buy them in three packs or six packs and then snip off the corner.
But I don't think organic milk comes in bags.

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Phil, everyone owns a little plastic pitcher that the milk bag fits into. You buy them in three packs or six packs and then snip off the corner.
But I don't think organic milk comes in bags."

I buy my milk by the gallon, and it lasts about three days. With your method, I'd never have a chance to put down the scissors.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments janine wrote: "that reminds me...

"

Yeah. Ho bags.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

So do you fold down the edges of the bag into the pitcher? Hold onto the bag so it doesn't scootch out of the pitcher? How does it work?

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sally wrote: "So do you fold down the edges of the bag into the pitcher? Hold onto the bag so it doesn't scootch out of the pitcher? How does it work?"

It somehow doesn't scootch, as I recall. Maybe the weight of the milk keeps it in place? And the bag is a somewhat heavy plastic.

message 40: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) I usually pick up nonperishables at Meijer since I work there . Then go to local produce markets Vince&Joe's , Randazzo's ,and Nino Salvaggio's .

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) From a bag, to a bag ....

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

Those udders look remarkably like peen.

message 43: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Myles, I live in southern NH. I can do Claremont..well, maybe in the spring.

message 44: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments It depends on what's on sale this week.

I do shop at TJ's sometimes, but they don't take coupons. Love their lasagne noodles and yogurt. Used to buy butter there but I've found it's cheaper at Target.

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7147 comments Kind of psycho about grocery shopping. Places I hit up, in order:
Hy Vee
Pammel Grocery (international)
Aldi's
Target
Sam's Club
Graziano's (Italian)

In March we're getting a new Dahl's, so that will be fun.
I never buy groceries from Wal-Mart or Super Wal-Mart. But I do go to Sam's, there's the irony.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.