Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode 106 - Book Elves at work

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 560 comments Mod
I loved this episode, enjoying all of the recommendations from our own personal book elves, Michael and Ann.

I want to let both Ann and Michael know that they did a superior job of linking me to a good book.

Michael, Blind Descent by James Tabor will be one of my non-fiction 2010 best picks. I gave it a 4 star review on my GoodReads Account. I haven't read the other book you suggested, In the land of the White Death by Valerian Albanov so I'll add this to my list.

I have been to Russia and am intrigued by Siberia so the two books suggested in that locale will be added to my list.

Ann, I'm reading The Tiger by John Vaillant right at this moment. Exciting and excellent. Wave by Suaan Casey has been on my list forever and seems like a good adrenaline read for me.

But the one book that really caught my attention is The Killer of Little Shepherds by Douglas Starr. This one really sounds right up my alley. The dual stories of French serial killer Joseph Vacher and the criminologist Dr. Alexandre Lacassagne sound a bit like Erik Larson and appeal to me.

As promised I purchased a couple of your recommendations for our library. We already own Wave so I ordered this on audio cd. I also bought The Killer of Little Shepherds to add to our collection.

Our library owns the balance of your suggestions so I can pick up one of these wonderful titles at my leisure. I really appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Potato chip science immediately went into my cart as I needed a book for a Yankee Swap and this seemed like just the ticket. I also ordered How to Repair Food by Tanya Zeryk as Michael convinced me I needed this.

I'll be checking out the rest of the recommendations and then checking it the list twice to make certain I take advantage of all your wonderful ideas.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Carol,

I think this may be the best message ever.

Thank you :)

I'm glad we were able to be of help, and thank you for supporting your library (and our egos).

All the best,
Ann

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Ann and Michael,
Thank you so much!! Your suggestions, not only for my dilemmas, but others' dilemmas have really helped. For my 14 year old son, Daniel the nonfiction reader I am getting him The Things a Brother Knows, by Dana Reinhardt as it sounds perfect for him. I am buying Potato Chip Science for various family members as it seems like a lot of fun. For my 2 nephews, one is getting The Game of Thrones by Georger R.R. Martin and the college bound one is getting Atlantic by Simon Winchester (he will be attending a maritime college). And even though I didn't ask for help for him, my 79 year old Dad is getting Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

Thanks for thinking and taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. I love the podcast and am looking forward to meeting you both at the retreat.

Kate

message 4: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I was wandering around the bookstore tonight trying to figure out what to get my 95 year-old Grammy for Christmas... she needs the books to be physically light, since she is a tiny woman, and she loves it when her friends want to borrow them, so it's good if the book is somewhat well-known. I was stumped, until I thought, "What would Ann and Michael recommend?" I knew right away... paperbacks of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and Cutting for Stone. She'll love them, I hope!

message 5: by Ann (new)

:)

Thank you, Kate and Callie! Glad we were of help (real or imagined).

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Wow. These messages have totally made my day!

Should we have WWA&MR bracelets made up? ;)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Just a quick update: My DH has been narrating a mystery series set in Sicily. He's been drooling over the descriptions of food and he does the cooking in our house. So I got him La Cucina for Christmas! I know it's from last year's gift guide, but I never would have thought of it on my own! I guess maybe when he's not using it to cook from, he can prop up his microphone too!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Tanya, that's hysterical -- he really could get double-use of it! :)

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 9 comments Add another person to the list that purchased Potato Chip Science based on your recommendation. It seems to be a hot commodity and wasn't to be found at my local B&N. I put it on reserve in another store fairly close, but then found it at the local BJ's Wholesale Club for $12.99! I purchased a big bag of Ruffles to go in the gift bag with it and it is being given to my 11 yo nephew for fun with my brother/his dad. Thanks Michael & Ann!

message 10: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and I was just amazed at how powerful the book is. I was crying from about the end of chapter 38 when Cynthia and Louie went to the second Billy Graham revival session that they attended to when the author started talking about what happened to Watanabe, aka The Bird. Excellent book.