We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Bekah's Fun House! > In Real Life (IRL):

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Do you feel that your love for romance novels has impacted the relationships in your life?

How so?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah..... a little........ummmmmm
I wish I had started reading them when I was YOUNGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol....

They do help the libido!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Well... my husband says that they destroyed our marriage, lol, but he is just joking. He knows my books make me happy and we have actually talked about my love of reading. He doesn't want to be compared to the men in the books obviously, but he did once ask what those men did in the books that he didn't do, I happened to be reading a m/m romance book and just laughed and obviously didn't say anything, lmao.

I think it has actually brought us closer emotionally, physically, etc. because your relationship changes when you start having kids, work, etc etc. I think it has respiced up our marriage and makes us realize how lucky we are to have eachother and to have a happy secure fulfilling relationship.

Plus he always asks me what new moves I learned in my books to try out on him later, lol, so hes not complaining. Typical male thinking on his part, but I do love him.

I did tell him once I wanted a "alpha male" lol, his response was "What the *ell are you talking about?". I expalined and it turned out to be a goooood night. lol

message 5: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol! Awesome Megan!

I think they have been able to make me be more accepting of people and to look deeper for the beautiful things that exist within them.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (PlainJanie) | 79 comments As a 35 y/o single woman I have often wondered if romance novels have skewed my view on men and relationships. And I have to say that I really think that I have let my idea of a "perfect" man be formed by what I read. The realistic part of me knows that men like Simon Hunt, Zachary Bronson and Jack Devlin don't exist, by my unrealistic, romantic side still wants the kind of love that is portrayed by those men.

Unfortunately, even if they do impact my relationships I don't seem to be able to give them up. I just try to remember that I don't measure men I date by Jack Devlin.

message 7: by SmittenKitten (last edited Dec 08, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 61 comments @Megan - loved your post, glad to hear reading romances is working out for ya! :)

I became obsessed with romances early this year. At first, it really freaked my bf out and he thought it "was his fault" - it took a few months for him to understand that it was really about me rekindling my love for reading. Now, he is cool with it and tolerates me telling him about some of the books I read. And of course, I would say it's helped with the libido too.. hehe. We are recently engaged, so I guess the romances didn't scare him away.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "@Megan - loved your post, glad to hear reading romances is working out for ya! :)

I became obsessed with romances early this year. At first, it really freaked my bf out and he thought it "was his ..."

congratulations on the engagement!

message 9: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 61 comments Thanks!!!

message 10: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Yes, congrats on the engagement!!! Have you set a date?

message 11: by Autumn (last edited Dec 09, 2010 12:29AM) (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments Jane wrote: "As a 35 y/o single woman I have often wondered if romance novels have skewed my view on men and relationships. And I have to say that I really think that I have let my idea of a "perfect" man be f..."

ditto!! thats exactly how i feel!

i feel the books do give you more perspective of what you want from your partner. ofc their are not going to be ultra rich, self made, charming man on the daily basis falling for the jaded woman... but i do think that it has helped me to have my own set of standards. of the things i believe im deserving of. its not impossible u know? im would like to get just as much as im willing to give: the best of me unedited. "if you cant take me at my worst, you sure as hell dont deserve me at my best"

congratulations on your engagement Smitten Kitten!! xxx

message 12: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Hmmm . . .it really depends on the day. There are some days, when I would ship mine off to Canada and ship Cam Merripen in from England.

Then there are those days that I look at him and realize he is the perfect hero. Nobody could write one better.

And, of course, there's the bedroom side of it. Some of the books I've read have really opened my eyes to a different way of enjoying that part of our relationship. It's been nice! :)

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Well... my husband says that they destroyed our marriage, lol, but he is just joking. He knows my books make me happy and we have actually talked about my love of reading. He doesn't want to be c..."

Megan, you took the words right out of my brain and typed them down here!

message 14: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Have you ever been reading a great romance...you know the ones...they make you sigh and clutch it to your breast and there are stars in your eyes... :-) and you just put it down and look at the special person in your life and feel the need to reach out to him or her? Has a book or certain part of a book ever done that to you?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes ..... many times. Thats why I read romances..... LOL