Debates of all sorts discussion

33 views
World issues. > Global Warming

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Do you think it's a real issue or completely fake.


message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (EvanescanceFan101) i think it is, totally!!!


message 3: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
I think it is completely fake. There is so much evidence against it.


message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (EvanescanceFan101) I DON'T KNOW


message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (EvanescanceFan101) MY FINGERS ARE NUMB


message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Global warming or climate change, Cody? ...Because the global warming theory was discarded, you know.


message 7: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Global warming or climate change, Cody? ...Because the global warming theory was discarded, you know."

Actually I did not know that at all... yay people finally listened to sense lol.


message 8: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) Is what totally?

Do you always yell?


message 9: by Nathan (last edited Dec 09, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Nathan I think it is completely fake. There is so much evidence against it.

Ugh... And what exactly is the evidence against global climate change (more commonly referred to as global warming)?


message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (EvanescanceFan101) yeah?


message 11: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
heres 8 pretty good reasons (not the best I have seen) http://www.aproundtable.org/tps30info...


message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 4 comments I don't think global warming would be an accurate word because most heat records for various places were set in 1940's


I don't look Human, you look Timelord ♥ I have a degree in cheese making! ♥ (idontlookhumanyoulooktimelord) | 26 comments Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm


message 14: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
I agree that there is global warming .. there's no denying it ..


message 15: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
But it may be a natural thing, scientists don't agree that we are the cause of the increase of temp, some say yes some say no.


I don't look Human, you look Timelord ♥ I have a degree in cheese making! ♥ (idontlookhumanyoulooktimelord) | 26 comments Exactly
It definitely happens and is a problem, but people have different views on how...


message 17: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Tenebris In Lux wrote: "I agree that there is global warming .. there's no denying it .."

Actually, the past two years were much colder than usual where I live, so it's not a global warming as much as a climate change. But it's definitely happening, yes.


message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ There is definitely some kind of climate change going on. The earth does go through different temperatures, but the temperatures have been changing more dramatically than they have throughout history. Plus, there's evidence of greenhouse gases, holes in the ozone layer, the ice caps melting, etc.


message 19: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ We don't cause all of it, but we definitely cause some of it.


message 20: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Cody wrote: "Do you think it's a real issue or completely fake."

Totally and completely fake. There is no global warming. Polar bears aren't dying. The only thing real is that we should do a btter job helping our environment.


message 21: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Um. Polar bears are dying. The ice caps are melting, which gives them less areas to live on. Not to mention it floods their homes. And their prey (seals, for example) have less areas to live in, too, so that makes it harder for polar bears to hunt. Then the bears don't have enough to eat, and underweight females have trouble getting pregnant, so ... there goes the species. These things have been observed. I read a really long scientific article about this for Animal Behavior a few weeks ago. It's not like people just make these things up.


message 22: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Um, they are blaming "global warming" for such things. Global warming isn't real.


Beautiful Cheese (Celine) (zeelazybum) | 131 comments Wasn't the earth cooling down in the 60's or 70's and they wanted to melt the ice caps?


message 24: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Idk. :)


message 25: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Um, they are blaming "global warming" for such things. Global warming isn't real."

Then why are the ice caps melting?


message 26: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Nina wrote: "There is too much evidence supporting Global warming, Cody: Ice-caps melting, climate change, freak weather conditions, face it, Global Warming IS happening."

YAY IT'S WARMER :P I'm not saying it's not, I'm saying it may not be humans (there isn't a necessarily direct correlation)


message 27: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Um, they are blaming "global warming" for such things. Global warming isn't real."

Let me just quote your previous response:

Totally and completely fake. There is no global warming. Polar bears aren't dying. The only thing real is that we should do a btter job helping our environment.

You said specifically that "polar bears aren't dying," which is an obvious falsehood. They are dying, and that's what I was pointing out. And if you can come up with a better explanation as to why the polar ice caps are melting, I'd like to know. "Global warming isn't real" isn't a valid explanation.


message 28: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Mello wrote: "luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Um, they are blaming "global warming" for such things. Global warming isn't real."

Then why are the ice caps melting?"


Its getting warmer..doesn't mean its Global Warming. Notice its ONLY happening in Antarctica, hm?


message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Mello wrote: "luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Um, they are blaming "global warming" for such things. Global warming isn't real."

Then why are the ice caps melting?"

Its getting ..."


It's not only happening in Antarctica. There are two poles, you know. :P There's also evidence of global warming in places like Australia, for example, where the ozone is melting. The temperature of the ocean has risen significantly and a lot of the coral reefs are dying out because of it.

Maybe you should do your research before you make false claims, because you're not doing much for your argument.


message 30: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS That's pollution...the ozone melting is pollution!!


message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Yes, and it's pollution that causes greenhouse gases and thus global warming which destroys the ozone layer. So basically you just said that global warming does exist.


message 32: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Pollution can be a cause (and in fact is a very big part of) and trigger for global climate change ..


message 33: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Cody wrote: "heres 8 pretty good reasons (not the best I have seen) http://www.aproundtable.org/tps30info..."

Quick point about that, because I don't have time right now for a longer rebuttal - if you check their source site, you'll see that the list is very much a partisan one.

Also, 17000 is a really small number of scientists. Just sayin'.

More later, when I have more time.


message 34: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Yeah ignore most those earlier comments, I've done more research since then, I just will argue that while we're a contributor to Global Warming we are not the top contributor.


message 35: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Cody wrote: "Yeah ignore most those earlier comments, I've done more research since then, I just will argue that while we're a contributor to Global Warming we are not the top contributor."

I would actually disagree with that as well. I assume you're referring to the theory that we're coming out of a cooler period in general?


message 36: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
The world has been going through natural flucuations (sp?) of temp, we are probably just making it worse.


message 37: by Kogiopsis (last edited Oct 25, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Kogiopsis That's true - but the second thing you mentioned, that we're making it worse, is at the heart of the global climate change issue. If you ask me, it's pretty undeniable. Thanks to tree ring analysis and glacial ice core sampling, we can see the effects of temperature fluctuation in the past and, most crucially, the rate at which it happened. It's that data that leads scientists to believe that we've accelerated climate change by pollution. If you ask me, the fact that we have ice cores taken some decades ago from glaciers that no longer exist should be evidence enough - first characteristic of most glaciers is the slowness with which they move, and for some of them to be vanishing in a space of decades at most, years at least, shows that something is wrong with the planetary climate.

There are other really simple observations which support the theory of climate change as well. For instance, I'm from the Rocky Mountain region. The Rockies are mostly forested with pine trees - lodgepole, specifically. There's a type of beetle which burrows into lodgepole pines and basically kills them from the inside out by disrupting nutrient transport in the heartwood of the tree. Now, normally these beetles do very little damage because they freeze in the winter, but since it hasn't been getting as cold lately, we've had several consecutive years where the beetle population has survived, grown, and spread - and as a consequence, it's a common thing to see entire hillsides that are either red with newly dead pine trees, gray with older ones, or clear-cut because of the fire hazard these trees present. This is part of a natural cycle, as over time the dominant tree of the Rockies shifts back and forth from being the lodgepole pine to being the aspen, but it's not supposed to happen this fast or this destructively. And if you think that's just a tree problem, think again - clear-cutting campgrounds doesn't do the tourism industry any favors, and neither do the huge fires that are becoming more and more likely. One of my friends lives in Montana, and last summer there was a fire there that was so huge she could see the flames over the shoulder of a mountain. From town some miles away. I believe that's a decent illustration of the problem we're dealing with.

Ice caps are melting, and anyone who doesn't believe that isn't looking. Here, have a schematic from NASA. That diagram shows the decrease in old, permanent ice, which is what sticks around through the summer. Since the Arctic isn't a continent like Antarctica, permanent ice packs are what populations like polar bears need in order to move from place to place. At best, losing them forces all the bears to one place, where they'd be competing for resources and dying off because of it; at worst, it cuts groups off from each other, preventing the reproductive variation which is necessary to producing strong offspring. An isolated population doesn't have the genetic variety to remain healthy over time; eventually inbreedng will accentuate harmful traits to the point that the group in question dies out. It's not just polar bears, by the way; plenty of semi-aquatic species like seals and walruses need ice floes or land to survive and mate. Moreover, as ice decreases and they lose that mobility, their access to food decreases, making some fish populations inaccessible most of the year and others overpredated. Cascading effects down the food chain follow.
And that's not even getting into what's happening to the Antarctic, or the acidification of the tropical oceans and bleaching of the coral reefs.



TL;DR: big bio major rant. Sorry. Basically long list and explanation of evidence for global climate change.

Also, I would like to point out that the polution facors causing the hole in the ozone layer and those which cause climate change are mostly different.


message 38: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Yes, and it's pollution that causes greenhouse gases and thus global warming which destroys the ozone layer. So basically you just said that global warming does exist."

I did not. notice how its only warming ANTARCTICA!!


message 39: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: " notice how its only warming ANTARCTICA!!"

wrong yet again, but that shouldn't surprise me by now. I can attest personally to the fact that it's warming the Rocky Mountain region. The reason we've seen a dramatic increase in the magnitude of hurricanes is because the area off the coast of Africa where they form has grown warmer, and warm water is what hurricanes require to form and grow. There are coral reefs around the world that are bleached white now because the global sea temperature has risen, which acidifies the oceans and destroys such delicate organisms. Glaciers are melting around the world. Shall I go on? Because there's more.


message 40: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Not just Antarctica .. and news flash: Antarctica is a part of the world, not just some alien part of the Earth ..


message 41: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Global warming is an inaccurate term, I actually agree. Global climate change is more correct, and the fact that the climate is drastically changing is pretty much indisputable. Er, logically indisputable :P


message 42: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
What Rachel said is very true, Global Warming is a bad term, it's getting colder in some places warmer in others and there has been an increase in natural storms. This is Global Climate Change not Global Warming... Bad term.


message 43: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
My bio class recently watched a National Geographic documentary called "One Degree Factor", it was quite good at showing different effects of the change worldwide, so if anyone's interested, I recommend watching it. Some of them are really unexpected/odd...:/


message 44: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Yes, and it's pollution that causes greenhouse gases and thus global warming which destroys the ozone layer. So basically you just said that global warming does ..."

Are you ... serious?

You do realize that there's a giant hole in the ozone layer over Australia. Where people live. And it has visibly been killing the coral reefs.


message 45: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
And it's affected the Arctic ecosystem, and there's been a link to increased malaria rates in the Caribbeans....


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a feeling that this whole global warming thing is just a cycle. Like courtney said earlier, most of the records were form the 40's, so we might just be having a very hot cycle.


message 47: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Except for CO2 levels are skyrocketing, which necessarily causes a greenhouse effect. :P


message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya, but there are a lot of people who are ALL over finding ways to fix that or at least keep it from getting worse. The problem is that a lot of people get carried away and start doing things that don't help at all. I remember that when I was eight our school was selling t-shirts to help save the rainforest. But when you looked on the back of the catolog, for every twenty-five dollars of shirts that we sold only, like, five dollars were actually going to help the trees. And on top of that only about 2 0/o of the paper in the catolog was recycled. *face palm* >.<


message 49: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Right, always look into what you're supporting - similar story with KONY 2012 and all. But in the end, we do need to be paying attention to what we're doing to the environment.


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya, it's just so many people want to help save the earth that they don't think about what theyre really helping: the earth or some billionaire. If you want to help the world, pick up trash off the side of the street or something, but don't join some groupe where you hand over money every month but have no idea EXACTLY were it's going. Its kind of like handing a homeless person who is clearly a junkie money; you're just paying for their next round of drugs and making things worse. Go by a McCdonnalds and get the guy a burger if you feel like you have to help him, but don't just hand over cash!


« previous 1
back to top