The Sword and Laser discussion

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Anthology

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited Dec 07, 2010 04:31PM) (new)

Mike Basinger (technoviking) | 11 comments I just got Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance on my Kindle last night and I'm really enjoying the first couple of stories in this anthology. What anthology of Sci-Fi/Fantasy short stories do you enjoy, or do you prefer novels and longer stories only.

Mike

ps: I would love to see an anthology of stories in the Dune Universe done by writers it influenced.

message 2: by Mike (last edited Dec 07, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

Mike Basinger (technoviking) | 11 comments Some of my other favorite anthologies:
Masked
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
Federations

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6386 comments I remember this from 'literature of science fiction' in high school:

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame 1 by Robert Silverberg

message 4: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments Ive been sitting on The Mammoth Book of the End of the World. its on my list but I havent gotten to it yet.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Mike wrote: "I just got Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance on my Kindle last night and I'm really enjoying the first couple of stories in this anthology. What anthology of ..."

I really liked Legends but I lent my copy to someone and I don't remember who :(

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 9 comments I would agree with Masked and add Warriors edited by George RR Martin.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments not SF, but Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling's annual The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror collections are always awesome. oddly, i read way more SF than fantasy, but the quality of these is always amazing.

message 10: by Kevin (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:58AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I like the The Norton Book of Science Fiction: North American Science Fiction, 1960-1990. and one ot he best showing the best authors of science fiction is The Science Fiction Hall of Fame 1. For fantasy, nothing better thanLegends and Legends II, one of the best ways to find new authors or read new materials from some of your favorite authors.

message 11: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Mccoy (jeremiahtechnoirmccoy) | 80 comments I am fond of Wild Cards and the rest of the Wild Cards series. As far as single anthology not by just one guy, this series is my favorite.

As far as single author collections of short stories, Fragile Things takes the cake.

message 12: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I'm a big fan of the newish shared-universe anthology METAtropolis: The Dawn of Uncivilization and Metatropolis: Cascadia. Listened to both books in audiobook form over the last several weeks, they're fantastic. Hoping there'll be more.

message 13: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Mccoy (jeremiahtechnoirmccoy) | 80 comments Gord wrote: "I'm a big fan of the newish shared-universe anthology METAtropolis: The Dawn of Uncivilization and Metatropolis: Cascadia. Listened to both books in audiobook form ove..."

Oh yeah. Metatropolis is in fact awesome.

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe Osborne | 94 comments In the eraly 70's Isaac Asimov edited "The Hugo Winners" volume 1 and 2. My high school used this as an introduction to the SF genre. I've been hooked ever since. In later years volume's 3 - 5 (I think) were produced as well.

message 15: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
Just added Songs of Dying Earth to my to-read list, thanks for that.

The two Dangerous Visions anthologies blew my mind as a young science-fiction reade. Some of my favorite stories in Again, Dangerous Visions didn't hold up quite as well when I re-visited them recently, but they're still impressive collections.

My recent favorite is The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction - densely packed with many amazing stories and lead me to add many of the authors featured to my to-read list.