Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Favourite things > Pets & Animals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
I'm an Animal Lover, and i just love hearing about other peoples pets and cute animals they have come across.
in this thread this is where you can put up your pics or even just brag about your "furry kids".

message 2: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments cats are my favorite animals. used to have a few when i was little but since i've been married i haven't been able to own any cats because my hubby's severly allergic to them. so i get to admire them from afar.

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i have a clayton's cat. i'm prettey sure that's what they are called. i have a cat that thinks its my cat but it isn't. it's my neighbours cat.
Phoenix. She is about 13years old now. she is the friendliest cat i've ever had the privilige to know. i haven't owned a cat scince my beautiful boy Ambrose was murdered.
and i got my 2 dogs by pure luck. Candy was aquired while we were looking at the cute puppies in the window and a couple came out and offered up a puppy. candy's sister was taken by another couple. but we took her homw and she is now 7 years old. Millie my other dog, has so much personality, you forget she is a dog. she was rescued from my mum's "friend". for the first 3 years of her life she was only fed cat food, we got her and she was severly underwieght, and her tail would not come out from between her legs.
it took a lot of R&R love, cuddles and training. to get her to how she is today. now she is well fed loved and does not stop wagging her tail!

It's a shame april that you can't own a cat, is it just long haired or short haired cats that he is allergic to? my brother is allergic to lonsghaired cats, it sets off his asthma. whereas my mum is allergic to guinea pig hair. yet with my rabbit she is ok.
if i get married to my boyfriend, he doesn't want pets at all, because he like holidays too much!

message 4: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments I had a cat like that once. she belonged to my neighbor but she was always at my place and treated me like she was mine and i was hers. she was a calico cat. the neighbor finally let me have her. but didn't get to keep her to long, the last litter of kittens she had killed her.
both long and short haired cats he can't be around. he has asthma and allergies that he has to take meds for all year round. short and long sets off both asthma and allergies.

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new)

aww that's horrible. i'm sorry to hear that (about the hubbie and the cat).
i have year round heyfever and food allergies as well. when i get bad, i have an asthma reaction. but i've never had asthma, it's just the allergies playing up.

we don't want to keep phoenix, the dog's gang up on her. many a time i have had to save her from them. separately they are fine with her. togther they are bitches lol

message 6: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments we have a dog called Debo who currently resides with my brother. 5 years ago i was working as a vetrinary nurse when someone aboanded a brindle lurcher at our surgery. the poor thing had a fractured jaw and a very badly broken leg. Because they did not leave an address we couldnt legal operate on him and the RSPCA would have unfortunatly put him to sleep. we popped him on a morphione drip and waited for for legal five days but when we went to operate his leg couldn't be saved and we had to remove it.

Our vet was a lovely man and he he did all this free of charge with the view that once he was better we would then turn him over to the RSPCA. How ever the big softly that i am i took one look into his big brown eyes and fell in love so we have Debo the three legged lurcher :D

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) awwww
nicola that is such a cute story.

i have a dog names jess n she is the most spoilt thing ever. we ot her from a rescue center she was the only one who was sat there huddled in the corner looking terrified. it was love at first sight. she has scars where she has been beaten n now she's just spoilt rotton lol

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Hawkins (littlelolicat) I have a house full of fur-children. We have a 6 year old shiba inu named Sly. He was a rescue here in Japan. I also have a 7 month old chihuahua-doxie mix named Nyx. She's my lap dog :) We also have two turtles named Herbert and Hatch, a hedgehog named Finley, and a hamster named Ponyo.

I'm dying for a cat. I love cats but on the military base I live on we are only authorized to have 2 pets who don't live in cages. Hopefully when we go stateside I can get a cat. And possibly a few ferrets. I'm addicted to fuzzy critters :)

message 9: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:03PM) (new)

Fuzzy critters are cuddly aren't they?
i love hoew you have a hedehog and 2 turtles emily.... i'm so envious, i love turtles and a hedgehog looks cute(never seen one in real life only via photos - don't have them here in australia)

Does anybody else own a not so normal pet?

I'm talking about your psycho cats and dogs(yes we will include them), your snakes& Spiders etc. (they are pretty normal in australia,some people have pet crocodiles)
what about ones that we have never heard of?

i didn't know people were allowed or even owned hedgehogs! that's my learning curve.
But i found out it is increasingly popular in the US to own Sugar gliders. Now as any australian would know, a sugar glider is a wild animal. our zoos are full of them! yet when i found out i was Mortified! first my mind went directly to thoses poor chimps and orangutangs that get taken away from thier mother at a young age.
and then i found out that they are bred to be pets, in the US although some states don't allow it(ownership and breeding).
so that was another thing i learnt.

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani Julian (daniquickdraw) | 7 comments BUNNIES!!! Netherland Dwarf rabbits to be exact. Tiny, rediculously cute.

I'm also getting into Chinchillas, a fluffy rodent from the Andes Mountains in Peru. I adore Sugar Gliders, too, even though the little boys can be smelly buggers! :-)

message 11: by Adele, Moderator (new)

chinchilla?
i just thought that was a breed of fluffy cat!
Until i Looked it up! :o) wow they are so cute!

message 12: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) I used to have 12 cats. I had one to begin with, she had kittens with next doors cats, then two of her kttens had babies and yeah it got bigger and bigger. My first girl ever was a tortishell. She was gawgus. Her name was Angle. I also had two dogs, but they live with my uncle atm. Fire a border collie and Bunndy, i forget what bread she is. I now have a bird. Winston a canary. :D

message 13: by Pj (new)

Pj | 11 comments I'm owned by two ferrets Mokey(fem) and Wembley(male). They are brother and sister polecats about 2.5 years old. I got them from a ferret rescue near Reading. After the previous keeper decided he'd had enough. Mokey was very nervous and untrusting and therefore was a handful to say the least. She tore me to shreds for about a month. But now she is the most adorable bundle of mischief ever! They have been entertaining me for 8 months now. And I love them to bits :)

message 14: by Adele, Moderator (new)

wow my uncle used to keep ferrets, but that was just for his rabbit hunting. i alsways wanted to pat them, but i was told they would really hurt me, and that there bite is really bad. so i've never really gone near ferrets scince then(haven't had the chance to).

message 15: by Pj (new)

Pj | 11 comments Yes they can bite and sometimes hard. They have very powerful jaws and can lock them. Which isn't pleasant! Well handled Ferberts love being picked up and petted so wont bite 99% of the time. There is always that small percentage.
My two dont bite now and Wembley never has. But Mokey was a devil when I first got her :(
She just didn't trust me and was always ready to bite when I picked her up usually drawing blood (ouch).
She soon realised my hands are her friends and now she only bites my partner lol
They are fantastic pets very entertaining, think kitten on speed lol

message 16: by Adele, Moderator (new)

lol kitten's on speed. kittens are funny regardless.
now i'm kind of glad i didn't sneak out to pat the ferrets.

message 17: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie (RosemarieRiska) | 3 comments I have three cats one male and two female's. One is a silver tabby who is 14 and he loves to attack people. Another one is a solid black cat who is 1 and very hyper active and her old owner gave her to us because she always attacked her old owner. My third cat is 7 and my vet call's her a seal point, my cousin found her on under somebody's car on a rainy day and brought her to me and my mom. Her attitude is so funny because she reminds me of a drama queen when she don't get her way.

message 18: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Awww so cute.
i love all animals,i'm neither a cat person or a dog person.
on a trip to the vets recently, i found out how much my dog's look to me as their protector.
they didn't like this lady. and cuddled into me to try and get away. so cute. even after their injections they still love me! :o)

message 19: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) I'm new to this group, but thought this was an appropriate place to introduce myself. I'm Horace & we have dogs, cats, goats, horses & ponies. We probably treat them somewhat better than we did the kids while they were still at home. At least they don't have as many chores.

message 20: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Horace we actually have a proper introduction thread going, but you're right here is good too.
I'm trying to convince my mum to get a goat to help with the mowing!
Plus that and they are cute!
You have a lot of animals, how many in total?

message 21: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) We have over a dozen animals all together, but a small farm, so there is plenty of room for them all. Only two goats, but that's plenty! We call them 'damn goats' so often people might think that's their proper name. They can get into more trouble than you can imagine. Ours are about 2' tall at the shoulder, but jump up to the top of their 4' tall house all the time. They'll use a straight tree with rough bark to springboard over a 5' fence occasionally.

Goats are browsers. They will graze, but they like more roughage than just grass. We have acres of grass & clover for them to munch on, but more often they stick to the edge of the woods & trim the trees. They'll kill young ones by stripping the bark off & seem to think wild rose is delicious. They've gotten into the yard a couple of times & then they attack the bird feeders. They beat one up to knock the seed out of it, so be careful to read up on them before you get them. They are cute, but they're not for everyone.

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (WENDY3636) | 15 comments I love animals so far in my life span I have had 2 dog, 4 rabbits, and 14 birds (parakeets). Out of all of these I only have the one dog right know and I love her like my own.

message 23: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) I've owned cats, dogs, sea monkeys, gerbils, goats (6 at one time, 2 moms each with 2 kids), and one Podunk (which was one too many). Our goats were picky eaters other than hay they only liked our mulberry bush. We had a shed and fenced in area that included part of a hill and part forest. Cleaning up, feeding, and grooming them was a lot of work when it was just the 2. We bred them.

Currently we are owned by one cat, Lucky. Her sister ran away a few years ago when the cleaner left a door open while vacuuming and my attempts to catch her were unsuccessful. :(. Lucky has thrived since becoming an only cat and having 2 slaves. She loves getting all the attention, no fighting over food/water/litter box. Her sister was a bit of a bully.

message 24: by Adele, Moderator (new)

what is a podunk?

message 25: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) Podonk: Half Shetland pony/ half donkey - sterile, stubborn, less useful than mules, cuter than mules, and yeah just about no one has ever heard of them. And they aren't on Wikipedia geez

message 26: by Adele, Moderator (new)

you should add a wikipedia page. for all those owners of podonks out there.

message 27: by Adele, Moderator (new)

my Guinea pig died a couple of weeks ago. now I just have my aging dogs. 10 years old! they have already had their teeth taken out ( I did enquire about doggy dentures but they don't exist) . lumps and bumps have been found and removed ( thankfully they were just lumps and nothing cancerous). and one is arthritic . but other than that they are very healthy and very happy. i have posted pics of them on my instagram account. I'm always taking pics of them. they are such posers and funny little things too.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I love cats. I used to have so many! Mother and children. But then I moved and I'm not allowed to keep pets in my apartment. :(

I also love dogs. But never had any. I had a turtle when I was a kid. It ran away!! I think! lol

I'm petless now :(

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Tasha wrote: "Podonk: Half Shetland pony/ half donkey - sterile, stubborn, less useful than mules, cuter than mules, and yeah just about no one has ever heard of them. And they aren't on Wikipedia geez"

I know of them and I've seen them. Just didn't know their names. I remember the science teacher telling my class about them too. They are cute but they look so sad! I feel sorry fir them. :(

message 30: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
I have 3 black cats. Fatt @$$, Bittle, and Diddle. Bittle and Diddle are twins.. The only girls in a litter that was abandoned. Fatt @$$ has the same father as the other two (stray parents) and I took her in because she was smart and liked looking out the car window. That is a LONG story.

I just got a dog, a Norwegian Elkhound/German Shepard mix named Sandy. She is 8 months old now and my baby girl! I think my 11 year old is jealous.. LOL!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to take in stray cats too. I feel so sorry for them all hungry and cold.

message 32: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

My Fatt @$$ was taken in my best friends neighbors.. They had to get rid of them and there were two.. a dumb looking one and a smart looking one. We took in the smart one. Too smart.. Hehe. She is 3 1/2 now and crabby. Bittle and Diddle were found by my best friend (same one) under her sons trampoline with their 3 brothers. Their mother was run over by a car and killed and they were only a week or so old. Bittle was the smallest, trapped in a bush. My friend hand fed and raised all 5, herself, every hour for 7 weeks. We took in the girls because she had to get rid of them and they were adorable.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a cat called Meno, she was barely 6 months old, so smart and pretty. She went inside my dad's car, (near the engine I guess), no one knew she was there. By the time my dad was out of the garage we heard a cat scream! I cried so much! I was 6 or 7 and stayed angry at my dad. But later I realized it wasn't his fault. :( No matter how smart a cat is, they do stupid things sometimes.

message 34: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments It's nice to see people who love animals! For me, someone who doesn't like animals is not someone I want to be friends with...

So as you guessed it, I love them. We have two rescued cats. We've had them not for 13 and 12 years respectively. One we got from the humane society and the other we found lost in the woods. When the rangers told us she'd be put to sleep we brought her home. She was the skinniest thing I've ever seen.

We are also owned by 3 dachshunds. Yes, they own us not the other way around. We love our three little brats though. They are too spoiled!

message 35: by G.G. (last edited Jan 22, 2014 11:34AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments @Ebony They sure do. That's because they are curious creatures. Although yours was probably seeking warmth.

I had a cat that drown in a pool. I found her the next day stuck in the frozen water. The pool went down the next summer and I'll never own a pool again.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG! So sorry! :(

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't had a pet in 7 years!!!!!!!! :(
I need one.

message 38: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Yep you do Ebony! Seven years without a pet is a long time. :(

Since we are permitted. Here is a short video (19 seconds) of one of my dog Misty on YouTube. :)

Misty

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, she is so adorable! What is she?

message 40: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Thanks! I won't tell her because she already knows. Her 'dad' keeps telling her. ;) She's a sable, long-hair mini-dachshund.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I never had a dog. One day I'm gonna get a few cats and a dog. And maybe a turtle. :)

message 42: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Cats are fun and easy to take care of. You never have to worry if you are out of the house for too long, unlike dogs. Both will keep you company and will give you their love incontestably!

(And think about all those poor beasts waiting for a good home... hint hint!)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol! My landlord does not allow pets, I would've gotten at least one cat. :(

message 44: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Oh that sucks! Even declawed?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup, no pets at all. If they catch you with a pet, you'll have to pay $1000 fine. And maybe they'll make you leave. The apartments are inspected once every month. :-/

message 46: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Yikes :(

message 47: by Adele, Moderator (new)

not even a fish? or a tortoise in a tank( you have the tortoise roam around during non inspection time)
why I say tortoise is, tortoises are land creatures. turtles are mainly water animals.

message 48: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Snakes are fun! My husband loves them

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 22, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Oh god snakes scare me!!!! But I'd love a turtle or tortoise. Fish is not really a pet you can pet! lol I just remembered a scene from That 70's Show, Red brings Kitty a fish, she said I can't pet a fish! He said just put your hand inside the bowl and give it a rub lol.

message 50: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda No birds? I have a Yellow-headed Amazon parrot, a red mitred conure, and a red bellied parrot.

« previous 1