Shiver Roleplay discussion

the best island??

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) Is there a "fablous must see" island? I know I am secretly awaiting for travel between the US & Cuba to resume ever in my lifetime. Anyone else? I am looking for ideas and thoughts for future trips!! Something fun, some cultural, educational and inexpensive short trips for about 4-7 days.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne (awarf) I don't know about the "best", but I like Bermuda. It is expensive, though. I tagged along on a business trip with my husband. Those pink sand beaches (from all of the coral) are worth seeing, if you can afford it. We also went to St. Lucia once... extremely green and tropical... mostly black sand beaches and a volcano that is worth visiting... although it is hard to get around on the island. When I think "inexpensive" and Caribbean, I tend to think Mexico. We flew to Cancun a couple of times. I'm not a big fan of Cancun, itself... a little too much of a party atmosphere for my tastes... but driving away from the city into the Maya Riviera, you can find some great places. If you want history, there are plenty of Mayan ruins to visit. There is also a small island off of Cancun that can be reached by a public ferry. It is called Isle Mujeres (island of the women). We visited for a day and it was a fun, small, low key, laid back kind of place.... great beaches... no large hotels... very Mexican feel (unlike Cancun, which really just feels like a piece of the U.S. in Mexico).

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) I enjoyed St. John (part of the USVI) not so much for culture (but there is some) but for the eco-friendly part of it. While I stayed at one of the 2 major resorts there...I found out that there is a whole eco-tourism part on the island. Since a large portion of the island is a protected park, you can "camp" and hike in a gorgeous setting. There are some beaches that you can't get to by car and only by hiking. My husband and I visited some of these by taking a dinghy out from the resort and going around the island to the secluded beaches. It was lovely!

See: http://www.maho.org/

message 4: by Babette (last edited Aug 10, 2008 05:34AM) (new)

Babette Outside of the US, I have been to only a few islands - the Bahamas(Nassau), Japan(Tokyo), Australia(Sydney) and Key West. Of those, Nassau is at the bottom of my list of islands and Key West is at the top.
I put Key West at the top because it is small, more easily accessible for many in the US, and has a wonderful mix of history (military, political, social and literary) in addition to being a place where one can do nothing but laze on the beach or by a pool, join in a myriad of water sports and excursions, or eat fabulous food in shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops. It also attracts people of all ages, persuasions and interests, with whom one cannot help but rub elbows because the island is so small.
It requires little to no means of transportation other than one's own feet. It is 90 miles from Cuba and seems part of the Carribean more than part of the Florida - it is the Conch Republic. It is full of tourists, but step one block off Duval Street and you can mix with the locals. I have been to Key West eight times and have never been bored. And each time I have discovered something new to do or to see. Almost any time of the day or night, you can find others out and about, even if they are only the much-protected chickens and cats.
Everyday in Key West seems to be a celebration.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald (nocdar) Some of the islands of the Carribean that I have visited were pretty cool. Hang out on Eagle Beach on the island of Aruba. There are some great buys on linens and doilies on Curaço. St. Thomas has a Hard Rock Cafe and I got some colorful island shirts there. St. Martin/St. Marrtan is a great place for jewelry. I upgraded my wife's diamond ring there.

Off the coast of Massachusetts, accessable by ferry, are the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Leave your car on the mainland and rent a scooter when you get there. Either island is worth the trip for the seafood alone. There are whale watching tours, art festivals, great beaches, music, deep sea fishing trips, bed and breakfasts, and just a lot to see. I haven't been to either in a few years. Google the chamber of commerce for each island and have them send you a vacation/travel planner.

message 6: by James (new)

James Nevius I think Maui is pretty spectacular. Especially if you avoid getting trapped in a resort the whole time you are there. The combination of cultural life, natural beauty, and great people makes it my favorite island [other than Manhattan, my other favorite island :-) ].