Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Archived 2010 Group Reads > The Woman in White 03: XIII - III (92-154)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristi (kristicoleman) ok, I'm not here yet...but post your thoughts!!

Knobbynob Finished the book--loved, loved, loved it, as I do anything by Wilkie Collins. Looking forward to discussions that may come out of this read. This is my first book read w/goodreads, so I'll wait for others to begin comments/discussions.

Kristi (kristicoleman) Whoa!! You are FINISHED!?! You totally ROCK!

Denise (momtoconnor) Just started this section...
Loved how dramatic the goodbye between Hartright and Miss Fairlie was...the sighing, the hands trembling, the tears...It was great!

message 5: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Reid (lizareid) I agree. I'm just kind of disappointed Collins didn't give us more context on the relationship between the two. Had we seen more interaction between the two of them it would have made it easier to sympathize with the inevitable separation of the two. I suppose that just would have made the chunkster even chunkier though. :)

Jillian Oh Miss Fairlie. I wish that I could sympathize with you more. And believe me, I am trying. But I have to say, it is SO hard trying to understand your hand-trembling, face-blushing, nervous self from a contemporary perspective. Truthfully, I prefer Miss Halcombe. But I think I've mentioned that before.

Actually, there was one really amazing line from this section...when Mr. Gilmore is discussing the engagement with Miss Halcombe and writes: "No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." HA! I love it.

My distrust with Glyde deepened in this section. Interesting, since we've seen so little of him, and everything we HAVE seen has seemed completely proper.

I'm also curious to know what's going on with Hartright...

Kristi (kristicoleman) I have to agree with Jillian, I much prefer Ms. Halcombe! I have never been a fan of fainting women in books tho. I also agree about Sir Percival...I am wondering what he's hiding, I was actually pretty suspicious when he addressed the letter to Jane Catherick...who did he really send it to, and who really sent the letter back? There have been a couple things like that, where I got a bit suspicious about his actions. Anyways...great section! Off to read the next one!

Andrea He is such a CREEPER!!!

Melissa Jillian wrote: Actually, there was one really amazing line from this section...when Mr. Gilmore is discussing the engagement with Miss Halcombe and writes: "No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman.""

Oh, I was totally going to quote that - it made me laugh out loud!!

Melissa I adore Miss Halcombe and wish Hartright had the sense to fall for her.