Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > James Mason Community Book Club>lyricists, writers, authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Have no idea where the "James Mason" part of the equation comes in, but the moderator sent me an invite so I joined.

But something tells me my shit won't fly over there like it does (or sometimes doesn't) over here. To say they're cut from a different cloth than us would require an apology to the entire textile industry.

Anyone else a member? I just left a couple of puddles of oil on their garage floor.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I was, I backed out quite awhile ago.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Dec 07, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've gotten friend requests from that guy a couple of times but turned him down.

ETA: I turned him down because we had almost no books in common and he didn't give any indication why he wanted to be friends.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 4 comments I joined and he gave my book five stars. I have nothing but good things to say about James Mason.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I was an active member for quite a while. A lot of things they discuss were of interest to me. The moderator Rick is lovely. I dropped out though because there was a huge barney between a number of the members. While I didn't participate in the argument it left a really bad taste in my mouth. The argument was extremely childish and extremely nasty. One of those involved started attaching my comments so I dropped out of the group. A month later Rick asked me to rejoin.
I didn't feel able to say no to the request but I did find it annoying. I am still a member but I no longer participate in the group.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Rick hero worships James Mason. That's where the name came from.

message 7: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) I joined when he invited me. It has lots of autre book/film discussion, nothing particularly focused. Good place to find rec's. I haven't dropped by in quite a while.

Then again, I'm new and not so sure I fit here, either. I do, however, love the elitist attitude y'all extend. I will probably strive mightily to be just as cool... at least until I have been mercilessly drummed out and kicked to the curb.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ouch.

message 9: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Sarah Pi wrote: "Ouch."

"It was a JOKE!" -Dave Letterman

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Rick, the moderator, is also a member of TC. I figure this is where he got my name from to invite me to his group. I joined just the other day to check it out. I'm going to have to go find that oil spill. LOL!

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:04AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There are so many new members here right now. I don't remember Rick ever contributing to the conversation, but I don't have any beef with the guy. I just don't know him.

Janice Geranium, sorry I didn't know it was a joke. It's hard to read the tone of someone you don't know.

ETA: Rick has been a member of TC since November 15th, but hasn't made any comments.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments So start saying more so we get to know you :-)

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I'm still trying to figure out what Gail means by "huge barney."

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments

message 15: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart We're elitist?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My babel fish mustn't be tuned in properly.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Barb wrote: "Britt-Britt wrote: "We're elitist?"

I know! I fell uber-important right now.
*preens*"

Maybe, but how do you feel?

message 18: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I just joined the JMCBC, and by just scrolling down the topics, I can already tell that place is not my dig.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments :-)

message 20: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart ...and I just left. Way too many caps.

message 21: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "I just joined the JMCBC, and by just scrolling down the topics, I can already tell that place is not my dig."

It's chock full of authors - real authors - discussing their work and "War and Peace" and buddy reads and nary a mention of body parts or neuroses or awkward confessions or cursing.

message 22: by Brittomart (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:16AM) (new)

Brittomart I feel like you have a problem with me. And no matter how much this..whatever thing that you do...is a part of your attitude, I'm always going to feel like that.

How's that for an awkward confession?

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Clark wrote: "It's chock full of authors - real authors - discussing their work and "War and Peace" and buddy reads and nary a mention of body parts or neuroses or awkward confessions or cursing. ."

I can't tell if that's a compliment or a complaint.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "I feel like you have a problem with me. And no matter how much this..whatever thing that you do...is a part of your attitude, I'm always going to feel like that.

How's that for an awkward confession?"

Me?

message 25: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Sí, señor.

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "Sí, señor."

No problem at all, although some of that TMI thread leaves me feeling slightly unclean and filled with self-loathing. I'll get over it.

On the other hand, there's no one with a gun to my head forcing me to read it.

message 27: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Hey Clark.. I just slid into your oil spill over there, and we're being called "wacky James Masoners"

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Janice wrote: "Hey Clark.. I just slid into your oil spill over there, and we're being called "wacky James Masoners""

When I'm over there, suddenly I don't feel so old.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It looks like a welcoming place. I see what Britt meant: there are a lot of titles printed in capital letters and a lot of exclamation points. It seems to accept and rejoice in authors who are doing self-promotion, which we don't really do over here.
This is part of what I love about Goodreads - people can be part of one or the other or both groups and it strengthens the community as a whole.

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I joined the James Mason group a while back, mostly because the moderator, Rick, was very friendly and wildly enthusiastic--a very nice guy. I haven't participated much, but I follow some of the book discussions, which are generally quite good.

The whole quirky James Mason obsession kind of appealed to me. I mean, Mason was an interesting actor--great as the villain in "North by Northwest"--but forming a book club in his honor seemed somehow charmingly eccentric to me.

Anyway, I should visit JMCB more often.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I backed out because I was not a contributing member, and didn't have time to read all the posts. I think that it is a very good site for what it is trying to accomplish.

message 32: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I'm just wondering why I got the invite. Maybe they needed a turd in their punchbowl.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I wondered when I got invited too, and then when I left I got a couple more invitations.

message 34: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Mason was Humbert Humbert, right?

message 35: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "Mason was Humbert Humbert, right?"

Have no idea, but useless pop culture trivia of the day: ex-Go Go Belinda Carlisle is married to his son Morgan.

message 36: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Jim wrote: "I wondered when I got invited too, and then when I left I got a couple more invitations."

If you go to Rick's profile, he is a member of many groups. I think there are 5 pages of groups. My suspicious nature wonders if he's farming those groups for prospective members to his group. I'm not being critical of the group or the moderator... just wondering.

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "Mason was Humbert Humbert, right?"

Yes, yes, Britt-Britt, he was Humbert Humbert, he was.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heh.

Clark, what's the statute of limitations on referring to somebody by their ex-band's name after they go solo?

Doesn't that Heaven is a Place on Earth song earn Belinda Carlisle the right to be herself rather than an ex-Go Go?

message 39: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Doesn't that Heaven is a Place on Earth song earn Belinda Carlisle the right to be herself rather than an ex-Go Go?"

Yes. It's a habit. What about "Mad About You?" Good, bad, indifferent?

My friend Eddy was unceremoniously thrown out of St. Andrew's Hall for trying to get on stage with her during that first solo tour.

message 40: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 07, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Janice wrote: "My suspicious nature wonders if he's farming those groups for prospective members to his group. I'm not being critical of the group or the moderator... just wondering."

Darnit. I thought I had been invited because of my good looks and charm...

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't remember Mad About You. I'll look it up later. Unless you mean the TV show, which was funny enough.

message 42: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Jonathan wrote: "Darnit. I thought I had been invited because of my good looks and charm..."

Ahhhhh - yeah that too!

**looks behind herself... did I cover my ass on that one?**

message 43: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Clark wrote: "My friend Eddy was unceremoniously thrown out of St. Andrew's Hall for trying to get on stage with her during that first solo tour."

I remember seeing her at the Ritz theater in New York around that time, like maybe 1986 or so. Lord, was she pretty.

message 44: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I don't remember Mad About You. I'll look it up later. Unless you mean the TV show, which was funny enough."

No, her first single. On 12" gold vinyl. Minus power chords.

message 45: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jonathan wrote: "Clark wrote: "My friend Eddy was unceremoniously thrown out of St. Andrew's Hall for trying to get on stage with her during that first solo tour."

I remember seeing her at the Ritz theater in New ..."

But then, Jonathan, came the dreaded cosmetic enhancements.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Clark wrote: " Minus power chords.
"

:)

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Clark wrote: "But then, Jonathan, came the dreaded cosmetic enhancements..."

I didn't really follow her later career much. So my image of her is still from when she was stunningly beautiful and totally unapproachable...and I was 17.

message 48: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Was Belinda Carlisle on a VH1 celebreality show? 'cause her name sounds familiar...

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "Was Belinda Carlisle on a VH1 celebreality show? 'cause her name sounds familiar..."

I think next you're supposed to say "is she related to Brandi Carlisle?"

message 50: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Haha, no, I wasn't thinking about Brandi Carlisle, she just sounds like she was on one of those "Where are they now?" shows

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.