Every one's Choice discussion

Winners for January!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I don't want to fall behind again and I am surprised that I remembered so....

http://holidayinsights.com/moreholida...

Nominate a theme for our January Reads.

message 2: by Babs (new)

Babs | 258 comments If January is National Braille Literacy Month how about something on Helen Keller or Anne Sullivan?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) While the "Feast of Fabulous Wild Men" day sounds deliciously intriguing, I think I'm going to choose "National Popcorn Day." We could choose a book that has a movie adaptation and commit to reading & watching both versions and comparing them afterwards.

message 4: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Sounds great! Keep 'em coming. It sounds like it will be an interesting month!

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments I like Sarah's idea! How about a book where the main character(s) experience a rebirth since it is a new year and people make resolutions to make a better self and all?

message 6: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 07, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I like all of the ideas so far. We could tweak Babs' idea just a little and say any book with a blind protagonist or main character. There are some really good ones out there.

How about a cozy mystery to "cuddle up" on the couch with.

message 7: by Babs (last edited Dec 07, 2010 03:32PM) (new)

Babs | 258 comments I like that idea...wish I had a fire place to go along with the mystery novel! But yes a blind protagonist or mian character would be great!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I would love that fireplace, too, but will have to settle for a couch and and a quilt.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Colleen wrote: "I like Sarah's idea! How about a book where the main character(s) experience a rebirth since it is a new year and people make resolutions to make a better self and all?"

Thanks Colleen - your idea is great too! I like the idea of rebirth and new beginnings to start out a new year!

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver I just have to say that I thought Bath Safety Month was hysterical.

There were some interesting choices, but I am most drawn to the idea of Peculiar People Day

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments haha!! I like Penguin Awareness day. I love penguins. But seriously I like National Sleep Day. How about Rip Van Winkle?!

On a side note, I think I will be participating in Male Watching day.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) OOOO Aly, I'm telling! Actually, I'll just join you. Sounds good to me.

message 13: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

ONly one day???

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) We could make it a month, what the heck.

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments Hehe!! yes let's!! Eh, he's away for another nine months. I think he'll be ok with me just man watching hehe!!

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Who will you be watching Aly; Tudor re-runs perhaps? ;)

message 17: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments Ooo!!! Yeah! Or anything with Chris Pine. He's my new celeb crush lol

message 18: by Silver (new)

Silver For Peculiar People Day I nominate

Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas

And for New Years/Rebirth I nominate

The Lost Girl

message 19: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Nominate for January.

Cat. 1: Peculiar People Day
and
Cat. 2: New Year's / Rebirth

Very good Silver way ahead of the game!!!!

message 20: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

My nominations are:

Cat. 1: The Dolphin People: A Novel by Torsten Krol

and

cat. 2: The Wishing Trees by John Shors

message 22: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Just a few more and I will start the poll and James I am sorry I accidentally deleted your post.

Please re-post James!!!!

message 23: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

So I guess it is just three each then! Tis the season!

I wil lpost the polls in a bit! Polls will open later and stay open until Monday 12/27!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am glad to see the winners. Looks like a few good books. I will have to see what to read.

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) These look good - If I Stay is probably what I'll go with!

message 27: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I alreadu read Wishing Trees, I just brought If I stay and I have The Dolphin People so...

I still have to catch up on passed monthly reads.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) If I Stay is sort of sad and uplifting at the same time. It is a phenomenal book.

message 29: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) Lyn M wrote: "If I Stay is sort of sad and uplifting at the same time. It is a phenomenal book."

good to hear! i can't wait to read it! requested it from the library but might end up buying on my kindle.

message 30: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I got it from B&N for about $7.

message 31: by Donna, The Pusher (last edited Jan 06, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

BTW John Shors from The Wishing Trees emailed me back and said he would happily join in but he doesn't know exactly when. He said that he is in Thailand finishing up his lateest book Cross Currents and he told me to tell this group "pass [his] thanks and to give everyone [his] best".

message 32: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments That's so cool that you are in contact with the author Donna!

message 33: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I won this book on another site and he is very friendly and contated me and did a Q&A woth another group as well.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 676 comments Right on!