Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

OFF Topic > Our Pets

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy (last edited Dec 06, 2010 05:13PM) (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 936 comments I've noticed we have a lot of animals lovers on this board, so I'd like to start: We have a young male orange striped tabby cat named Slick (aka Puddy) who adopted us in July 2009.

Someone dropped him off in our driveway when he was just a few weeks old; he was thin and shy and it took two weeks for him to trust us enough to let him pet him and come inside the house but that is where he lives now.

We always had dogs when I was growing up so I never realized cats had so much personality.

message 2: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 315 comments We have two rescue basset hounds, Arnold and Bonnie and 2 "walk on" cats, Howard and Millie. My mother in law always complained - I just know they are going to name those children Spot and Fido.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments LOL Sallie !

We have Sophie a 7 yr old mini Schnauzer and Julia a 12 (ish) year old Maltese mini Schauzer cross. I bought Sophie online, not realising what a puppy farm was.... Julia was one of their poor little breeding bitches having multi litters in a concrete run. But we got her out and now she is a happy little dog.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments Oh Barbara - something special in common. I recently adopted my little Cocker spaniel from a group that rescued her from a puppy mill. She gets to live in the house now and isn't pumping out litters any longer. That was her first four years of life.

message 5: by Barbara (last edited Dec 06, 2010 11:39PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments What amazing animal children we all have ! Tanya, how did you manage to get Thomas back from Bangalore ( or do you live in India?) And what is a 'roundheeled' cat?

We have no pusses now, the last one, Jessica, died in July at the age of 20. Before her were Lilith and Vashti and Emily, all of them rescues or walk ins and all darlings , tho Emily and Vashti were rather short on brain.

We are now utterly run by the dogs, my husband , he who didn't want any more animals is especially besotted .....

Yes please, poem.

message 6: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 936 comments Enjoyed reading all these--thanks so much for sharing.

Alice, I love the way you named your pets. I wanted to name our cat "Jake" after the young boy in Stephen King's Dark Tower books but since my husband was a little reluctant to take him in (at first), I let him pick the name.

Yes, Tanya, please share the poem!

message 7: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 708 comments Tanya, of course we'd like to see your poem!

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 707 comments Barb and I have a dog, Princess, who's been with us for about seven years; we got her the year after our previous dog, Lady, had to be euthanized for pervasive cancer. Princess' mother was a beagle, owned by our dentist and her husband, who kept her to breed pure-blood litters; but the husband accidentally let her out one day when she was in heat, and one of the neighborhood mutts bred her. They couldn't sell the resulting puppies, so were wanting to give them away; and we took one. She's a sweet-natured dog, but rather expensive to maintain, what with her environmental and food allergies. But, she's worth it!

message 9: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 315 comments After checking under her tail - yup, no parts - we took walk in Millie to be spayed. Were NOT keeping her but thought she'd have a chance at adoption if she was spayed. Clinic called. Would we please pick up our cat, MILTON. "Millie" was an already fixed male. Who knew. Didn't learn a great deal on the farm did you, lady?

message 10: by Cassie (last edited Dec 07, 2010 06:00PM) (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments We our animal lovers too. We have Francesca-I got her from a puppymill I'm sure. Of course I didn't know that at the time. I had no idea about getting animals from the newspaper. I got her because I couldn't find a small enough dog at the shelter that my landlord would agree to let me adopt. We got Gracie the weekend we got married. My sister-in-law's friend found her and her littermates. We estimate that she was about 1 week old when we brought her home. We bottlefed her until she could eat normal dogfood. She was so cute. She's almost 9 now. Very sweet girl.

We have three cats-one we got at the shelter, one who was living in a shed across the street and one we got at the Christmas tree farm.

Just this past weekend we started fostering three puppies. Their mom was a shepherd mix and the 9 pups in the litter have various dads. One dad was a shepherd of some sort, one was a mountain dog of some sort, and one dad was a pitbull. We have the pitbull mixes. They are 9 weeks old. We will only have them a couple of weeks and then they will go to their new homes-once they are spayed and neutered. I love them so much. They do make walking through the house interesting!

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments I think they make walking through the house virtually impossible, but they sure are CUTE.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments OMIGOD I can't bear it .....

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 936 comments "coat brushed tenderly, like an
ancient, much loved jacket
now grey with long use.

Th wear and tear of the years have stretched this joyous rope of flesh
and bone to breaking point."

Tanya this is so beautiful and descriptive of an elderly pet. It made me miss my dogs, even though it's been more than ten years since they died. Thank you for sharing.

message 14: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 315 comments This is so lovely and heartbreaking at the same time. Beautiful. Surely you are published, Tanya?

message 15: by Barbara (last edited Dec 08, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Well it takes me several goes to read them because of tears, and my dogs aren't even very old yet . But the pussy cats of yore come back to mind painfully..

Goa, of course, should have guessed Tanya ,from your Portuguese last name.

My Julia dog, like your calico cat has had many, many litters ( puppy farm, lets go no further) adn also like her is desperately attractive to admirers . We had her spayed of course, but nevertheless, all male dogs, big, little, old, young, pedigree, mutts, desexed or not, all are deeply drawn to her.
She permits delicate exploration by nose, but if it goes on too long she sits down and if they persist , then she sends them off firmly . And they all accept it ,going 'Ok sorry ,sorry just couldnt resist a try ..."
She is beautiful to us, but really is just a scruffy little off-white dog way past her first youth. But a canine goddess on the beach and in the park.

message 16: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments Our final foster puppy will go to his new home on Sunday. I am going to be sad for us but happy for him. He will be an only pet and I don't think he'll like that but perhaps he will inspire his new owners to get another puppy. He is such a sweet one. He is off getting neutered now and will be back for a couple of days to recover. I'm missing him already.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie wrote: "Our final foster puppy will go to his new home on Sunday. I am going to be sad for us but happy for him. He will be an only pet and I don't think he'll like that but perhaps he will inspire his new..."

How are you feeling? Totally better I hope? We got a little rescue on 22 November. She is a tiny black Pom and was stray for quite awhile. The poor thing growls and barks about things that are not there. She will eat anything and searches here and there for bits of food. She even tried eating bird seed.

What breed is the puppy?

message 18: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 315 comments We are foster failures - ours are Bassets. Howl, howl, howl.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sallie wrote: "We are foster failures - ours are Bassets. Howl, howl, howl."

What do you mean you are foster failures? I just let Jasper and Georgia out and Georgia saw Victor's 3 cats huddled together in the glass room and she went hysterical poor little thing. Cats really upset her. We were told at the shelter that she liked cats and children but they were wrong or else she had a very bad experience with a cat while she was stray. She was only 6 lbs and 6 oz when she was picked up and most cats weight more than that. Since she was getting in trash cans if she could maybe a feral cat scratched her. I do wonder. Poor thing she is quite neurotic. They tell me as time goes on she will feel more secure but I do wonder.

I have picked up quite a few strays in my life.

message 20: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 315 comments We had one rescue basset - a good experience but it takes a while for them to trust especially if they've been abused - so we thought we could foster one and do a good deed like someone did for us with Arnold. But then when it was time for us to give Bonnie up to somebody else......we couldn't let her go. Failures. So now we have two, And what if they outlive us??? For months Arnold would run & hide when anyone visited - thought he would be shoveled off to another home or kennel.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sallie wrote: "We had one rescue basset - a good experience but it takes a while for them to trust especially if they've been abused - so we thought we could foster one and do a good deed like someone did for us ..."

Oh, I worry about that too that I might die and leave them. Jasper is nine but Georgia is only 3. However, Georgia seems to like everyone so she would probably be OK altho its so hard for a dog to change families too often. I doubt I could give one up either. I wanted to raise Sheltie pups from the two I bought in Suffolk but realized that it would be too hard to part with any puppies. When I bought Miranda the woman I bought her from cried and cried!! It tore me up like I was stealing her child! She had a houseful of dogs too and a bulletin board covered with blue ribbons. Her grandmother Shelties were all lying on chairs in the living room.
So I see what you mean about failures now.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments I adopted a rescue cocker spaniel in October. She is a little neurotic (goes into a frenzy of barking when men come to the house), but I wouldn't give her up for anything. I'm just crazy about her. And I trust my daughter's family would probably take her in if I passed away too soon. I did have a rescue rat terrier four or five years ago who had to go back to the organization. Poor little thing was just a mess and couldn't be left alone.

message 23: by Barbara (last edited Apr 16, 2020 11:40PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments I would be a foster failure too, and even if I didn't believe that all pets should be desexed anyway, I couldn't ever give away or sell pups. I am quite neurotically silly over animals feeling and rather ashamed of the fact I'm not fully vegetarian, nor , of course are the dogs.
I truly admire peole who can foster and the people who have the guide dogs pups until old enough for training etc.

I live in a beach suburb ( Adelaide, South Australia) ) and we have Dog Walkers Club , partly just social and partly to raise money for animal charities and to help out pensioners etc with vet bills. People have started to ask us to re-home dogs and cats too, and every success is like a little victory.

message 24: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments I originally thought it would be too hard to foster and then give them up but knowing that they are going to excellent homes really helps. And we also are able to help more dogs by fostering than we ever could by adopting.

Our puppies are gone but we have a new one. She is 4 months old and was starved and tied up so tight she almost couldn't lay down. She and her brother were eating their own feces for lack of food. She is a very sweet dog and loves the kids. She, surprisingly, doesn't have any food agression.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Oh god yes, I think it is abslutely wonderful I just meant I hadn't got the bottle for it !

Oh you poor little new one, I can't bear to think of it it ...........SO glad she and her brother are safe now.

I have a friend , a Fellow Dog Club person who has two dogs , who were 'seized' RSPCA ones, meaning the owners were actually charged and prosecuted (yay!) . I won't give detail, as I can't handle it and perhaps others can't either , but suffice to say that for one of them, Dodie, a big Rottie something cross, the RSPCA people fought even more strongly to save his life, as they said never in all their rescues had they seen n a dog bear his sufferings so nobly .
She takes him into the RSPCA every so often so they can pet him and for the young woman who did the origianal 'seizing' to shed some more tears of joy on his sweet broad head.

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments Something you all don't know about Cassie is that she and her hubby adopted a days' old rottie mix and nursed it to adulthood. It is an amazing story. That baby's eyes and ears were still closed, and now she is a huge wannabe dachshund (the older dog in the house is a doxie).

message 27: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 708 comments No animal story this time, but Sherry's mention of acquiring a puppy so young that its eyes and ears were still closed reminded me of the time a young woman at my church brought her new baby with her, and a little boy in the congregation remarked, "His eyes isn't open yet."

BTW, I didn't know that pups were born with their ears, as well as their eyes, closed. Also true of kittens?

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 122 comments I don't know about kittens. Gracie's ears were folded over and covering her ear canals. She still had her umbilicus when the kids got her. My son in law was amazing with the care he gave her. She is about nine yeaars old now, and a real sweetheart. I love the little boy's remark! I love the things young children say.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Peggy wrote: "Enjoyed reading all these--thanks so much for sharing.

Alice, I love the way you named your pets. I wanted to name our cat "Jake" after the young boy in Stephen King's Dark Tower books but sin..."

There are some very entertaining pet names in City of Bones but none that I would actually pick. I keep running into neverending quiz questions about dog names which I love.

message 30: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 708 comments I named two cats, several years apart, Charles and Norman after two of my teachers. Now I wonder whether any of my students ever named a cat for me!

message 31: by Barbara (last edited Oct 21, 2012 10:27PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments My Julia dog was a poor little breeding bitch in puppy farm and almost bred to death. But we got her out and called her Julia because her breeding 'name' had been Junior 64.
She's the one on the right as you look at it in my picture.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "My Julia dog was a poor little breeding bitch in puppy farm and almost bred to death. But we got her out and called her Julia because her breeding 'name' had been Junior 64.
She's the one on th..."

She is sure cute.
Jasper got a bath today and Georgia was just so happy it wasn't her! We got up to 60 so spring must be getting close.

message 33: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments I'm reading old threads and came across this one. We are now foster failures of two dogs. Kendall is about 6 and we adopted her about 2-3 years ago. Moose is 7 months and we fostered his mama and the entire litter of 9 puppies. Moose was born in our family room.

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Cassie wrote: "I'm reading old threads and came across this one. We are now foster failures of two dogs. Kendall is about 6 and we adopted her about 2-3 years ago. Moose is 7 months and we fostered his mama and t..."

Ah, lovely story .

And I have a sad update, my dearest little Julia died on the 17th. Her little white urn of ashes (for a little white dog ) arrived yesterday ...........

message 35: by Werner (new)

Werner | 707 comments Barbara, I just now saw your post. I'm so sorry for your loss; my sincere condolences! :-(

message 36: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 708 comments Barbara, I'm so sorry to learn about your Julia! I remember crying for an hour or more when my first dog, Nicky, died, when I was eight.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Thank you everyone, so kind . We thought we were prepared for her death as she was old and had got very frail . But it made no difference at all to the grief.
Thank you again , and my thoughts to all who have also lost dear pets.

message 38: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Gracie, Francesca, and Cleo in the span of 7 months and it was so difficult. They were all very close in age and were all elderly. So I know the pain well and wish you did not have to feel it.

message 39: by Barbara (last edited Aug 04, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Oh thank you Cassie , it really is comforting , a message like yours.

I can't imagine how awful to lose three in 7 months , you must have been in absolute pieces.

The grief is simply not understandable to anyone who is not a pet person either so often one has to put up with insensitive remarks too ( eg "are you going to replace her/them" or "well you can do more now you are not tied to her/them can't you"

message 40: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments I think losing someone you love is losing someone you love. it only matters how you feel - not how others think you should feel.
I have a new edition to my family. My uncle passed away and his dog was with him for 4 or 5 days before he was found. They lived in Michigan and we live near Seattle. Through some very kind and generous people, we were able to fly him out to live with us. I can very definitely say that pets have deep emotions too. Poor Sammy is settling in but is still mourning his dad. I don't know how we could be less than devastated to lose beings who are so emotionally connected to us.

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Oh lovely, dear Sammy , I hope all well be well with him soon.
He has fallen into gentle and loving hands with you Cassie.

message 42: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments Sure wish I could post pictures! Sammy is doing pretty well. He's had a cough and runny nose since he arrived but with our third round of antibiotics and now adding in steroids, he is doing better. He is a good little man.

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Poor baby, I hope he is better soon !

message 44: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments He seems to be doing better. We are on the third round of antibiotics and now is on prednisone. I actually think the prednisone is what is helping.

message 45: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments and.... I posted the same thing I did before. That is how well my memory works these days.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Good ol' cortisone !

message 47: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments We're fostering a chihuahua right now named Beau. He's mean to Sammy. I have to admit that it's hard to like him when he picks on Sammy. He's scared of the other dogs but there is something about Sammy that gets him going. Maybe it's because Sammy is deaf? Beau is a cutie and he absolutely adores the kids and they love him. Hopefully he will find a home soon.

message 48: by Barbara (last edited Dec 16, 2015 08:16PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments It is hard isn't it . I do wonder about deaf - when Julia got fully deaf, Sophie started doing dominant stuff, pinning her down etc . No need at all , S had always been alpha dog anyway and J was always the sweetest most submissive little thing Plus ,actually Sophie's mother dammit ,though I don't think either if them knew that!

message 49: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments My Sammy can hear again. I'm not sure what was going on with him. He certainly could not hear previously but now he can (we tested him before by making loud noises right behind him when he wasn't looking - no response).

We have out 59th foster dog now. He is completely deaf and has been since before we got him. He isn't fond of our dogs so we crate them and rotate who is out with us. It's not ideal but it beats the alternative right?

message 50: by Barbara (last edited Apr 02, 2019 02:12AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2232 comments Cassie wrote: "My Sammy can hear again. I'm not sure what was going on with him. He certainly could not hear previously but now he can (we tested him before by making loud noises right behind him when he wasn't l..."

I guess so Cassie, re crating . We don't do crating hardly at all here in Australia, so I have no experience of it . Hope all goes well ....

« previous 1