Shallow Book Group discussion

favorite fictional characters

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mare (new)

Mare S (tommygirl) | 4 comments Mod
I was thinking about this today while talking to a friend. As an avid reader, there are some going back to childhood that still mean so much to me - Harriet the Spy, for example - so a list like this is hard.

My Top Three (I Think)

1. Elizabeth Bennett
2. Ponyboy Curtis
3. Harry Potter - yeah, over the course of seven books I came to love that boy (even when I wanted to grab him and shake sense into him)

What about you guys?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (burningchaos) | 6 comments 1. Sparhawk
2. Jimmy the Hand
3. Harry Dresden
4. Thomas Raith

I will never love anyone the way I love Sparhawk and Jimmy the Hand. I met them in the eighth grade and never looked back. Whereas Harry and Thomas are new shiny loves that I can't seem to get enough of.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Ravenel Ooh...this is a hard one.

1) Pippi Longstocking
2) Carlisle and Esme Cullen
3) Elena (from Mercedes Lackey's The Fairy Godmother)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It's hard to only list three.

1. Jane Eyre
2. Anne Shirley
3. Wow, this is the really hard one . . . I'll go with Anita Blake (for the moment).

message 5: by blueMeridian (new)

blueMeridian | 3 comments Hmmm...

1. Daemon SaDiablo & Janelle Angelline
2. Aerin of Damar
3. Meg Murray

Granted, it's 7:30 am, but it's a reasonable list. :)

message 6: by Laura (last edited Jul 31, 2008 05:32AM) (new)

Laura (burningchaos) | 6 comments My non-fiction faves...

George Burns
Gracie Allen

Mostly because I read Gracie A Love Story and was just moved by the depth of his love for her and the fact that he wasn't just the dirt old man I grew up seeing.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Lap (lisalap) | 3 comments My three favs - if I can only list three (a rule which totally sucks) are:

1. Eloise - because I loved all her antics and wanted to be her so much when I was little.

2. Douglass Montgomery - from A Knight in Shining Armor by June Deveraux. I have read this book more times than I can count. I love the Douglass was not your typical heroine - she was resourceful, she grew a spine throughout the book and even though she didn't get the happy ending the way she envisioned it worked out.

3. Acheron Parthenopaus because he is just the end all and be all of the ultimate guy. He's sacrificed so much for everyone and takes nothing for himself. He's gorgeous in a badass way and you just know when he falls in love it will change the whole world - which I can't wait to read. So yeah...

message 8: by stephanie (new)

stephanie (furies) damn. this is hard!

1. meg murray/poly o'keefe (same universe, okay??!)
2. tess monaghan
3. phinneas (a separate peace)
4. dysart (from "equus")

this will probably change in three hours. sigh.

message 9: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) Fictional characters... Hm...

1. Ukiah Oregon (the Ukiah Oregon series by Wen Spencer)
2. Seregil and Alec (the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling)
3. Travis Puckett (Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger)

Those characters are my "comfort food" XP

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Burd (chrisbykate) | 1 comments Wow - this is really a tough one. I can't guarantee I haven't forgotten an obvious one - but here are three of my favorites:

1.) Mercy Thompson (from Patricia Briggs' Blood Bound series)
2.) Rap of Krasnegar (from Dave Duncan's A Man of His Word series)
3.) Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (from Christopher Moore's Lamb)

message 11: by Kj (new)

Kj | 1 comments Amy from MM Kaye's Ordinary Princess has got to be my top personal favorite. Too bad I lost the book.

Sally Lockhart, by Phillip Pullman, was such a favorite that when Pullman killed her off in a story, I called up a local radio station and tearfully asked them to play "Forever Young" in tribute to a dead friend. They did.

Simon from Tad William's Memory Sorrow & Thorn was my big teenage crush, even tho I knew he was awfully thick-headed sometimes.

There are many others - Miles Vorkosigan springs to mind - but the characters I related to as a kid still have the strongest connection.

message 12: by blueMeridian (new)

blueMeridian | 3 comments I called up a local radio station and tearfully asked them to play "Forever Young" in tribute to a dead friend.

*coughSNORTgaspCHOKEwheeeeeze*

(Not that I'm one to judge, mind - but I would have been too busy plotting ways to hunt Pullman down and make him pay while tearing the book into itty, bitty little pieces)