Dorothy Dunnett fans discussion

General > Group organization

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 314 comments Mod
As you've probably noticed, the group has been rearranged a little. I contacted Liza, the group founder, and since she doesn't have time, she agreed to make me a moderator.

I've started a folder for both Lymond Chronicles and House of Niccolo and also one for her mysteries.

If any of you would like to start a reading schedule, let me know. I can start a poll, or we can go by consensus by posting in this thread.

Anyone with any other suggestions about anything, please post here.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace (greengrace) | 71 comments Good job Sandra,
It's smart to have separate threads.

message 3: by Searock (last edited Jul 31, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Searock | 34 comments Hi Sandra!

I just started GoK.
Well, actually I re-started it after 2 prior false starts. I have always known the series would require a ton of mental devotion and have put it off. This attempt has found legs though and I am hooked at just 100 pages in.

A couple of things this group has said that made me laugh: Someone commented they feared sustaining an injury juggling the reference and companion material as they were reading *snort*. Another (was it you, Sandra?) commented that Lymond's use of allusive language was like listening to someone with dementia, lol.

I have a couple of questions for the group:
I've found the following chronological notes (see link) to be absolutely invaluable and wonder if anyone knows the source; where the missing links to the later chapters/later books may be; or if they are hosted in another location. I would be happy to buy them in any format, if available.
http://www.angelfire.com/zine/azurite...

I want to buy the companion book as well. I think it has similar references but in alphabetical order covering all books at once and isn't available in ebook format yet.

@Sandra, I'm excited to find a group for these books as I'll be dedicating the next space of my life to reading them. Not sure what a reading schedule might look like but would love to try organizing a schedule for myself. Any suggestions are welcome :)

I've checked out some some various blogs and groups about this series and don't find them easily navigable. Most are discussions about characters and scenes that would spoil me rotten if I read them now. I'm already suffering some pre-heartbreak about a bit of Christian/Lymond info that I tripped over *sniff*

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 24 comments https://www.facebook.com/groups/lymond/ there's a Facebook group and also several DD pages https://www.facebook.com/DorothyDunnett

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Welcome Searock. Unfortunately, this group isn't very active. I've joined a couple of Yahoo groups (marzipan, DDANZ, and Game of Kings) and follow their discussions, but as you said, there are often spoilers in those discussions. If you join the Game of Kings group on Yahoo and start at their earliest posts, they discussed the books and there are several reading schedules listed. I am not very good at following reading schedules, as I always get caught up and continue reading long past the recommended pace.

Sam has posted a couple of links. Or go to Yahoo and search 'groups' and the names I've suggested come up with instructions on how to join.

I envy you just starting the books. I read them back to back and then again and then again a while back and am not quite ready for a reread. I'm trying to gear myself up to read House of Niccolo as I know it will take a tremendous amount of emotional energy, so haven't read those yet. I am working my way through her Johnson Johnson mystery series and enjoying them quite a bit, although they are a totally different experience than Lymond. Nothing is like Lymond! Enjoy.

message 6: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) Hi Searock,

The Yahoo groups are written by people who have read and reread and reread the books. I recommend that you not go there until you have read all the way through the series.

I think the best way to enjoy a discussion of these books would be with another person who will read and discuss on schedule and promises, promises not to read ahead and not to post spoilers. You have already experienced the disappointment of finding out about Christian. The series is full of surprises. I wish I could start over and experience it all again with you! I have a friend who might be ready for the second Lymond book and I will mention to her that you are here looking for a reading partner. She is a very intelligent readers, and I know you would enjoy discussions with her.

message 7: by Searock (last edited Jul 31, 2012 03:53PM) (new)

Searock | 34 comments Cool beans.
Y'all are so responsive and I appreciate the insight and links (thanks @Sam). I will check them out but will stay out of groups til I'm done. I'm guessing that no one really knows about the azurite notes. There are clearly links intended to take readers to later pages/chapters that are no longer hosted properly. Oh to get my hands on them!

@Sandra, the Johnson Johnson mysteries sound intriguing...

Anyway. I am rather bad at schedules as well, but I would love to try. @Zorro, if your friend is interested in reading together, perhaps she could PM me here. I'd love the company.

I practically live on GR, so if you guys don't mind, I'll post my thoughts in the Lymond thread even if there's not a lot of activity.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Don't mind at all. I love reading what new readers have to say.

message 9: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) Searock, where are you right now in GoK? I am in the middle of my third time through. I am reading the book by scenes.

message 10: by Searock (last edited Jul 31, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Searock | 34 comments I found them!
I found them!
(or at least more of them)

I am so excited :)
The azurite notes are now here:
http://www.azurite.ca/dunnett/dunnett...
It looks like the notes are through 1:6 with others pending.

@Zorro, I just finished Chapter V Scene 1 (5:1) which ends with Lymond (the Master) having a meeting with his guys regarding the supply train of wagons moving from castle to castle the following night (the one in which he "played them like a chanter”).

message 11: by Searock (new)

Searock | 34 comments I love the idea of reading scene by scene. It makes for a very episodic experience and I can re-read a scene without feeling like I am backpedaling.

message 12: by Zorro (new)

Zorro (zorrom) I am a little ahead of you, so if you will put your discussion/thoughts over on the GoK thread, I will discuss it with you and not post spoilers.