Scandinavian Mysteries discussion

Anne Holt

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Just saw an article online praising Anne Holt as another great in Nordic Noir, and that an English company is going to translate her backlist.

My library system has two of her books and I will try her out. Anyone no more about her and/or her books?

The Article:
http://living.scotsman.com/features/B...

message 2: by Grant (new)

Grant (grantsommerfeld) They do indeed look very dark!!! Nonetheless, I've added one to my 'To Read' list and we'll see!!! Thanks for the tip!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Thanks for the info David. Will be on the search for Anne Holt.

After reading "Semilla's Sense of Snow" watched the movie. Never as good as reading the book but really very wonderful.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Found Anne Holt's books "1222", "Unbroken" "What is Mine", and "What Never Happens" in english at the library for N.W. friends.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Started "What is Mine" by Anne Holt. Heavy start. Grabs you immediately.

message 6: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments I picked up whatis Mine from my library yesterday, but it is six or seven down on my to read pile. Probably get to it next week.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments I have read the first 100 pages of "What is MIne" Wow!! It is uphill from page 1 and Anne Holt is a riveting writer.

message 8: by Daga (new)

Daga | 11 comments I envy you guys so much. I would love to 'deal' with Anne Holt but I'm so short of time that I'm afraid that one day the pile of books growing next to my bed will collapse on me during my sleep :p And seriously, after your remarks on the book I NEED to read it. Though I guess it would be advisable to have some spare time for it.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments It is a must read. I can barely make my way to my bed too. I may have to give up reading "Last Rituals" even though I have changed my middle name to YRSA.

How about just keep it on the back burner!!!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments A must must read. Her characters are remarkable even down to the the dog " The King of America."

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Tartan Noir?????

message 12: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Tartan Noir is my favorite sort of mystery. Ian Rankin, Stuart MacBride, Denise Mina, Chris Brookemyre, MC Beaton, etc.

Scotland - a great place for mystery

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Thanks David. I was not familar with that term. Assumed that is what it meant. I adore Val McDermid.
Must look and see if where she is from.

message 14: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments I am hit and miss with Val McDermind. Sometimes she gets a little to gratuitously violent for me. I am not actively reading her backlist, but I will get to 1 or 2 a year.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments I have only read a couple of Val McDermid's books so have not run across gratuitous violence yet. Thanks for more good info. Will look at reviews before I tackle another. I am 20 pages from finishing "What is Mine." Much of the violence is unspoken, certainly not tawdry and the character studies and intervoven plots are fascinating. I will rate it a 5 +. Will be looking for "What Never Happened".

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments I got What Never Happens by Holt. Can hardly wait after What is Mine.

message 17: by Jmm (new)

Jmm | 1 comments Death in Oslo is terrific. Very complex, very unique plot. Thought it's the best yet of English translations. Saw she has another one out in English but it's not available in U.S. yet.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Where did you find Death in Oslo?

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments Powells http://www.powells.com/ has Death in Oslo in a new trade paperback for $13.46.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments thanks for the info. Am just finishing Helene and loving it but not 5 stars.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments 50 pages of What Never Happened and you are totally hooked

message 22: by Daga (new)

Daga | 11 comments I'm getting depressed :s I don't have time to read at all and the pile of books is dangerously growing. Well, I'll add this to my TBR list, hoping that one day will come the time when I'll be able to read all those books :D

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Daga,
Am thinking of giving up sleeping to get to all these Cristies and Scanvadavian authors. Holt is ao great so a creepy mystery and clever characters.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments So far not as intriqued with What Never Happens as What is Mine. Very good though but want to hear more about Kistianne and " The King of America" ( the dog).

message 25: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments I will finish What is Mine today.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Loved it. How do we get more in English?

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments I'm getting one from Canada that I will mail to you when I'm done reading it.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 26 comments Just finished What is Mine. Odd combination of love and perverse jealousy is part Euripidean & part cozy tied up wth coincidences. Anne Holt's humanity shines through.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments What an excellent review of a great mystery.

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments What Never Happens was fascinating in evey way for me. A must read for all mystery readers. Please translate more of her books into English.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Can find no more Anne Holt to read in english so started "Broken" by Karin Fossum. Rather unusual beginning. The author lives in Norway. Would love comments?

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Reading Calling Our for You by Fossum Better than Broken. Can Karin join Anne.

message 33: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (theartofstudent) I tried to read Death in Oslo last year and couldn't get into it. It was the first Anne Holt book I'd read, so maybe I should try one of her other books. Any recommendations?

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Yes" What Never Happens"is good and I adored "What is Mine" Have not read "Death In Oslo". Went right on to "Calling Out for You" by Fossum, Karin. Interesting how many of these books include dogs as pets and they play important roles.

message 35: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (theartofstudent) Will have to look out for those in my local library. Thanks Elizabeth! I read "Calling Out for You" last year. Really recommend "The Ice Princess" by Camilla Lackberg. I read it over Christmas and really enjoyed it.

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Anyone read "Let Me In" by John Ajvide Lindquist? He is a Swedish author and I think it could probably qualitfy as "Dark". Would love to hear comments.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments "Let Me In" a horror story!!!!

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments "The Water's Edge" Karin Fossum a must read for Scandinavian mystery lovers. Comments?

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Now onto "Black Seconds" Karin Fossum. Only a couple more books and I have no more English translations.

Then what?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth you may want to start new discussions for your questions - currently the last 4 comments you've made have all been unrelated to the thread title which is Anne Hold - I'm not being picky but if people think the thread is only about Anne Holt and they have nothing to add on that subject they won't come into the thread and see that you're talking about other authors that they may have read - perhaps start a new thread for each author or make a general thread that doesn't have just one author's name in the title

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Fascinating Scandanavian Authors and why you like them.

Will that work Bernadette? If not would you put in the topic or thread or tell me how.