MS 256 Reading Group discussion

2010-2011 > Week 14 Discussion about "Part-Time Indian"

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Patterson (MrPatterson) | 24 comments Mod
WEEK 14 DISCUSSION QUESTION FOR "THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN":

Do you think Junior is being selfish leaving Rowdy behind by transferring to Reardan? If you think he's being selfish, explain why. If you don't think he's being selfish, explain why you don't think so and explain what you think he's doing.

Your response should be a minimum of five sentences.

message 2: by Jaylen (new)

Jaylen | 5 comments He is not being selfish because he needs to change schools he has to be separated. And try to go out and do
things by himself. So thats why i think he is not being so selfish to Rowdy for trying do go and meet new people. It's not like he is not going to see Junior anymore.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Skinner | 10 comments He is not selfish because he doing something that make him happy. he not selfish because he don't ask for nothin. He dosen't do anything to make a person mad or anything. Also that jr is a person that is not selfish. Rowdy should know that jr has a life too.

message 4: by Alyza (new)

Alyza | 4 comments I think he is not selfish because he asked Rowdy to come along because he didn't want to leave his best friend behind.But Rowdy choose not to go and that was his fault.

message 5: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 1 comments I think Junior is being selfish because Mr.P said that if he don't leave the rez,he'll die.Also why would Junior leave the rez and transfers school and leave Rowdy alone?I think he shouldn't leave because Rowdy has been his best friend since he was born.And everytime somebody hurts Junior,Rowdy does something evil to them.But at the same time I think Junior should leave because he thinks it will be the best choice for him.

message 6: by Saul (new)

Saul  balbuena | 7 comments i thing junior is not selfish because cause he asked rowdy lots of times to come along but rowdy did not have to go with him. but in the other half he made this a big deal. he is selfish sometimes/not selfish sometimes.

message 7: by Taelornisbeth (new)

Taelornisbeth | 5 comments I don't think that Junior is being selfish at all, I think he's trying to have a better future ahead of him.
Plus Junior was generous to ask Rowdy if he wanted to come, but Rowdy got mad and beat him up.

message 8: by Charmine (new)

Charmine | 2 comments Mr. Patterson wrote: "WEEK 14 DISCUSSION QUESTION FOR "THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN":

Do you think Junior is being selfish leaving Rowdy behind by transferring to Reardan? If you think he's being s..."

i dont think juniour is being selfish becuse if he wante to levae then he could leave i measn he dont have to be nobody pet.

message 9: by Arly (new)

Arly Castellanos | 16 comments Personally, I think Junior isn't as selfish as everyone else. When Mr. P was telling Junior to leave, he was killing Junior's indian culture. If Junior left, he would obviously want to try and fit in. He would want everyone to like him. That obviously wasn't gonna happen so Junior would have to leave behind his Indian past to do so. So maybe Mr.P is the selfish one here, not Juniors. Rowdy-wise, Junior did mention to Rowdy that Rowdy could come too. Rowdy did over react, but thats often expected from someone who's father beats them. Since Junior left, Rowdy wouldn't have anyone to depend on anymore. Junior was all he had.

message 10: by Charlene (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Charlene Skinner | 10 comments Well Arly I kind of agree with you. because Mr'p did say to Junior kind was killed by his kind. I hope jr kind do the same. Well that's how life is not everything is fair in life. I feel Jr pain because other kinds was killed by cocasions. Well I hope more kinds of junoir stay alive.

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean Cherry | 6 comments I think junior is not being selfish because nothing that rowdy do work he still get bullied on and the fact that Rowdy had to punch him like that does not turn the fact that junior will stay with such a threat like rowdy.

message 12: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Carolina | 2 comments I really don't believe junior is being selfish by changing schools, it for the grater good, it's more like the other way around rowdy is being selfish. living in a poor rez may not be a choice, but going to a school were people don't respect you or care about your well being isn't, punching junior dose was uncalled for, junior has enough on his plate, and so one like rowdy being his friend was bound for something like that was bond to happen, he has a temper, he drinks junior may not have any friends but to stoop down to someone like rowdy,it was bond to happen.

message 13: by Freddyventura (new)

Freddyventura | 5 comments To me i think he is not being selfish because first of all he is poor so if he ask for something its not much. Also he just got punched in the face bye his best friend and that was his only friend. So no i do not think he s selfish.

message 14: by Brian (last edited Dec 08, 2010 12:27PM) (new)

Brian Hernandez | 2 comments He's not being selfish because he needs a better life for himself. The reason why he is not having a good life is because he's poor and his school sucks a lot. But he's very smart and he needs a better school. I think he should try to stay friends with Rowdy. That's why I think he's not selfish.

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 7 comments He is not being selfish why should he stay behind and follow the path of other indian pain and sorrow and no hope of making there dreams a reality he was offerd a chance of bettering himself and he took it. I think rowdy is the selfish one he would rather see Jr. die instead of getting the education he needs no he wants him to stay and be like all the other people on the rez it is not right. Jr. may not think it but he is better than Rowdy for a lot of reasons he allows him self to learn and grow and talks with art not with his fist all the time like Rowdy

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 7 comments He is not being selfish why should he stay behind and follow the path of other indian pain and sorrow and no hope of making there dreams a reality he was offerd a chance of bettering himself and he took it. I think rowdy is the selfish one he would rather see Jr. die instead of getting the education he needs no he wants him to stay and be like all the other people on the rez it is not right. Jr. may not think it but he is better than Rowdy for a lot of reasons he allows him self to learn and grow and talks with art not with his fist all the time like Rowdy

message 17: by Dariq (new)

Dariq Wigfall | 7 comments I Do think He Is Being Selfish. I Say He Is Because He Just Going Leave the rez After All They Been Threw Together. I Dont Think He Is Being Selfish. I Say That Because , Junior Is Trying To Get Out Of The Rez. Rowdy Just Want To Stay There And Be A Bad Kid Because Mr.p Already Said " Rowdy Gave Up ".

message 18: by Danasia (new)

Danasia Martin | 8 comments I Think Junior isn't being selfish.Because he didn't want to leave the rez but he had to.Something was going to happen to him if he stayed at the rez.Also he was tranferred to a different school so it wasn't his fault he left roowdy behind.Rowdy had no right to punch Junior because he was leaving.I think he is a good person because he is trying to better his community at the rez so they won't be poor and they can become a richer community.

message 19: by Chyna (new)

Chyna Powell | 4 comments I don't think that Junior is acting selfish because I think he is doing something that's better for his life. I think it was good for him to go to a new school because when he was having a conversation with Mr.P he was telling Junior that he kills Indians meaning that he had to take Indian culture away from Indians. Junior was only worried about people taking the Indian culture away from Indians because he likes being an Indian but he doesn't like the fact that his poor. HE HAS GOT TO TRANSFER!!!

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 5 comments Iam very glad that junior got a tansfer. My quote that I like was "If you stay you will died". Mr. p realy had put a mood for that seen.