Software Engineering discussion

The Mythical Man-Month > The Tar Pit

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradrubin) | 264 comments Mod
For me, revisiting this book is a treat. I last read it over 20 years ago. In software years, this is an old book. 1974, when Brooks wrote the first edition, is pre-Apple I (1976). Yet, I find that so much in it still holds true today. I really enjoy the tight writing, with each chapter distilling so much wisdom.

Specifically, in this chapter, I am reminded why the code I am currently writing took so little work when it was just for me, yet takes so much more work when trying to make it available for a wider audience. I wonder, as Brooks does, how many of the quantitative statements, such as the 3X increase in effort in this case, hold true today.

I also enjoyed reading his views on the essence of what makes programming fun and frustrating. The only quibble I have is his views on testing. It doesn't have to be drudgery, and certainly isn't for those who dedicate their careers to this important aspect of the craft.

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik | 165 comments Alot of the things this book club has read would be great for undergrad or new software engineers to read. This chapter has some aspects that I don't think I would have appreciated until having worked on each of the different types of projects discussed. An inexperienced person can learn the items in this chapter, but I think it would be hard to fully appreciate them.