Task Completion discussion

BuddyReads > Night World, No. 1 Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 278 comments Mod
We will be reading the first 3 books of the Night World Series Night World, No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder (Night World, #1-3) If anyone would like to join...This will be at a slightly accelerated rate since it is a 3 books. And I kind of want to get it done this month. If anybody else would like me to slow down just let me know.

First Assignment
Secret Vampire Chapters 1-8 December 5-8th

message 2: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Can I join even though I read before...I won't give anythig away (Promise :P)

message 3: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Haha of course!!! I have too, but am trying to read through the series again.

message 4: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Same here, Meghan! :D. I think I will be able to keep up. If I get behind any I will letcha know :).

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (new)

The chapters are pretty short. I know the paperback and hardback copies say they are 750+ pages but my Nook is only 447 which is really short for 3 books in one.

message 6: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I agree they are quite short for 3 books.

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Dec 08, 2010 04:19AM) (new)

Chapter 1-8 Question

1. Who is your favorite character so far?
2. From the first 1/2 of this book, how do you perceive the Night World?
3. If you had the choice to die a human or become a vampire which would you choose?
4. How do you feel about Phil finally "allowing" James to let his sister become a vampire?

Second Assignment
Finish off Secret Vampire Chapters 9-16 December 9-11

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

1. I think my favorite character is Phil actually. Yes he is the overbearing goody-two-shoes boy, but I always wanted an older brother to look after me like that.
2. I think that the first half of the book does not have enough about the Night World. The series is supposed to be about the Night World but through over a quarter of the book is focused entirely on Poppy and her cancer. It makes the Night World just seem like it almost doesn't exist still.
3. I am not sure which I would choose. I think it would depend on if I loved anyone that was a vampire that I could love forever. I think that as a result right now I would choose to die as a human.
4. I think that Phil is sweet in the fact that he discussed talking to James with Poppy and looks at how rational and how she is already changing. I think it was important for Phil to understand what was going on and how to save his sister. As her twin he would understand best what is right for her and as well as what she would want and need.

message 9: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Dec 11, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Secret Vampire Chapter 9-16 Questions
5. How did you like the portrayal of the vampire in the book compared to others?
6. Would you like to have eyes like Ash's where they changed colors?
7. Do you think Ash was telling the truth when he said that he said that he was not going to turn her in?
8. How do you feel that Poppy and Phil are witches?

Third Assignment
Daughters of Darkness Chapters 1-8 December 12-15

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay so I completely forgot about reading this. Have been so busy with dance practice. Will catch up ASAP :/.

message 11: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Secret Vampire: Chapter 1-8 Answers

1. My favorite character was/ is Phil. He's so brotherly, and he makes me want him as a brother instead of the one I have now. LOL.
2. I thought it was a little strict. Okay, maybe I thought they were really strict. So what if Night People fall in love with humans? What if that's their preferred way of living?
3. I would definitely choose to become a vampire. One, becuase I've always wanted to know what it was like to be one; and two, because I might not be able to see my friends & family, but at least I will get to live some sort of life.
4. Everyone needs time to adjust to certain conditions, right? This is just one of those brotherly things; Phil truly cares about Poppy, and at the time, he didn't exactly trust James.

Secret Vampire: Chapters 9-16 Answers

5. I like that all of them have telepathic abilities, instead of (like in Twilight) only certain people will have certain abilities. It was a bit better than most vamp books I've read.
6. I think that would be so awesome! People would always be looking, and, like any teen, I love attention! :D
7. I have read that book twice now, and I'm still not sure if I believed Ash when he said that. I didn't the first time, and I'm really not sure now. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. We might not ever know, really.
8. I think it's really awesome that they ended up being witches in the end. Now they have no reason to run away and hide from the Night World :). A happy ending for all!

message 12: by Zakiya (last edited Dec 15, 2010 04:46PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I have my own question that I would like to add if it's okay.

9. What do you think of Phillip's choice to stay in the human world and not get used to the Night World?

message 13: by Zakiya (last edited Dec 15, 2010 04:48PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) My Answer

9. I think that it was just a matter of opinion. I would have gotten used to the Night World, but I can see why Phil would choose what he did. He really needed to focus on his mom and dad, and he had been recently hurt by Poppy's situation and "death." If you ask me, that's a lot of stuff to deal with in, what, like, 3 to 4 weeks?

message 14: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Haha I realized I didn't even answer my last questions...

5. I like that vampires are different in every book that you read. I also like that they sort of stick with some of the old Dracula themes rather than make everything different.
6. I would absolutely love Ash's eyes. I think it would be awesome if they could change with your mood.
7. I don't know whether to believe Ash on that either. I think that he has a good heart, but is one of those rebel guys but it is all for show because they are really the biggest teddy bears. I think he never really was intending to turn her in unconsciously but he thought he wanted to maybe...I am not sure...
8. I don't know how I feel about them being witches. I like that they didn't know they were witches, but I think that it would keep the "game" alive and the story going with them as a couple if she wasn't and it probably would have brought on more with another lead to another story.
9. I like that Phil decided to stay in the human world. I think he fit in better. Like it was said in the book Phil was pretty straight lace and not really the type to be out of the ordinary like the other Night Worlders are.

message 15: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Daughters of Darkness Chapters 1-8 Questions
1. How do you feel about Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade running away from home?
2. What do you think about Mark's reaction and "change of heart" when he meets Jade?
3. When Mary-Lynette and Ash first interact with each other there are sparks. How you like the strange chemistry that has started to occur between the two?

Fourth Assignment
Finish Daughters of Darkness Chapters 9-16 December 16-18

message 16: by ★Meghan★ (new)

1. The girls seemed like they were truly unhappy at home. From the way their family sounds completely and utterly old-fashioned I can see how they would want to move away. AS for myself, I love my family too much to ever run away. Plus if I ever ran away there would be major consequences when I was found.
2. I love that he has the "love at first sight" principle going with Jade. He all of a sudden has heart and feeling for someone other than his brotherly love for his sister. (Has anyone noticed the weird similarity between the two books when it comes to brothers and sisters? Phil with Poppy, Ash with Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade, and Mark with Mary-Lynette. Is L.J. looking for a brother that she never had in these? Also what is up with the humans having the same first initials...weird)
3. I love the sparks (almost literally) that Ash and M-L have between each other. I have heard the same thing that Claudine has heard that when you first show signs of dislike usually it means that you actually like each other in a more attraction way. I think that it was so awkward the way the two had their first interaction though...like why the heck did she all of a sudden want to kick his shin.

message 17: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) 1) I think that , like Meghan said they were just truly unhappy on their family's island. I know that I'm not exactly fond of old-fashioned things so I can understand a little of why they fled.
2) I think that it was one of those things like "OMG, I think she's the one." All guys go through that eventually, right?
3) The chemistry between Mary-Lynnette is what always make me love this story in particular. They "hate" each other at first, but they will eventually love each other. It's just inevitable in these types of books.

message 18: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Dec 18, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Daughters of Darkness Questions
4. What do you think of the way Jeremy claimed his territory?

Fifth Assignment
Finish Daughters of Darkness (if you haven't already)
Start Spellbinder Chapters 1-8 December 19-22

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) 4) He could have politely asked the people to leave. Yet, if he did that, he would have had to tell them about his being a werewolf. So either way, I think he was in trouble. The way he died was a little sad, though.

message 20: by ★Meghan★ (new)

4. I think that Jeremy was literally a mad dog...like he had rabies or something. His way to stake his claim on his territory was a little over the top. Plus Aunt Opal wasn't the one that was going to eat on his land. It was the girls. Anyway why didn't he talk to Aunt Opal rather than killing her. Personally I think that he was deranged. He did kill his own uncle.

message 21: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Last Assignment
Finish Spellbinder Chapters 8-16 December 23-31

With the holidays I know that we can be busy sometimes so just read the rest when you can.

Spellbinder Chapters 1-8 Questions
1. What do you think about the relationship between Thea and Blaise?
2. Blais and Thea start an argument over Eric and who is going to get him. Has a situation like this ever happened to you with a sibling or a friend?
3. From reading the past three books would you prefer to be a vampire or a witch?

message 22: by Zakiya (last edited Dec 24, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I finished it already. It was too ahrd to stop reading, LOL :).

1. Thea and Blaise are definitely sisters, but they are just so different. Thea is trying to convince Blaise to not do anything stupid, but she knows that Bliase is up to something.

2. This has never happened to me, thankfully. It's happened with two of my close friends, though. I didn't even think the guy was cute. And then he had a girlfriend anyway!

3. I would rather be a witch. You don't have to drink anyone's/ -thing's blood to survive. And they can talk to animals, and help them; and they get to cast all sorts of spells and use different gems, etc.

message 23: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Haha I will probably finish it some time today. I only have about 40 pages left.

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Awesome! I'm sure you are enjoying it. I know I did. Again :).

message 25: by ★Meghan★ (new)

I think we both enjoyed reading it again.

message 26: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) You were rereading too?

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Yep! I did the first one a long time ago and started the second one, but never got to finish it.

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Oh okay. I thought it was your first time. LOL! :D. We will have to arrange a BuddyRead for the second one! :)

message 29: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Yeah I have that on my list for very soon too.

message 30: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Cools :). Whenever you want to read it is fine with me. Just need to know in advance.

message 31: by ★Meghan★ (new)

I have about a million books on my soon list so my soon list may take a little longer.

message 32: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That sounds like you will be reading a lot of long-awaited books around the corner? I have quite a few to read as well.