Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Recommendations > About love!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison Nguyen (intergalacticyouandme) | 1 comments Hi there!

I'm working on a school project and I would love some recommendations on books(or poetry, movies as a bonus! haha) discussing the intensity and power of love, its increase or decrease, its constructive and destructive force.
Some books I have already used are Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.
Thanks for reading! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

message 2: by SilverForrest (new)

SilverForrest | 183 comments Wings by Aprilynne Pike. It's fanisty.

message 3: by Elissa (new)

Elissa | 2 comments If you like supernatural fiction with a whole lot of romance..I'd reccomend the Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead... U might think they are like twilight but they are so much better and if u think vamps are lame ..read it and the books'll change your mind...

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) i recommend the Goddes of... series by P.C Cast

message 5: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments twilght. not wings for hardcore love. at all.
pride and prejude. kinda a borer but its about love!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Hannah wrote: "sigh... I don't really read romance..."

Yeah, me either.

Sorry Allison.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golding (i think)...Its not the main primice, but you could take it that way in an english essay.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeh its really good, i just finished it, and i'm actualy doing it for english lol. Its a good read, loads happens.

message 9: by AngeliQue (new)

AngeliQue (aleiora) | 31 comments "a long fatal love chase" by louisa may alcott...
it's a destructive love story.

message 10: by ilaria (new)

ilaria | 774 comments sounds depressing....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Price of Trust, definitely (sp?)

message 12: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Yeah, but Hunger Games is not focused on the love.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments It's not focused on love, no. Neither is the Grapes of Wrath (not a single "love story" in there). It still discusses love and its intensity/power.

message 14: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments If you are looking for intense love, Twilight is your friend. Even if it's cheesy.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments But it's not real love. That's the problem.

message 16: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Because it's a vampire ;)

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments No. Not because it's a vampire.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I think Twilight is about real love... I think people just dissregard it because of the way its written with all the cheesy lines in it, and because of the hype around it, that makes people disslike the books for some reason, but its still a strong story about love in my opinion.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments No. Cheesy lines and hype aside, there is no love involved. There is creepy obsession.

You do not meet someone and fall in love with them in a second. It just DOES NOT happen. You might have a crush on them, but that it NOT love. And if you try to tell me that standing in someone's bedroom and watching them while they sleep is love, you are seriously wrong. Those are the actions of a STALKER not a LOVER. Love is a topic that isn't even touched upon in Twilight.

People are welcome to like Twilight. They are even welcome to like the "love" story in it. Just don't try to tell me that it is real love.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren haha yeh i agree i do think Edward is creepy!. But, i also think that, its a fictional book, ofcourse there are going to be parts that arent the norm, however i think that Bella's love for Edward is real. I totaly understand were your coming from, i do, because i always think that teen fiction books, the people fall in love too quickly and its a bit unrealistic. However, that doesn't not make it a love story, just because its unrealistic and very overdramatised doesnt mean its not ABOUT real love even if it isnt portrayed perfectly right. And anyways, maybe some people can fall in love in two weeks, i dont think its possible but people have different emotions. In twilight i think it shows all the right elements of people being in love, even if it isnt so realistic, but thats the point in books isnt it? too make things happen that never could, otherwise they would be boring, and even though it annoys me that it only takes people 2 weeks to fall in love in books sometimes, i have to admit i wouldn't want to have to read them casualy dateing and getting to know each other before they fall in love and it gets complicated, because thats boring.

Just so i'm clear i DO get were your coming from, and no i'm NOT a major twilight fan, this is just what i think.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Books should be believable. Twilight isn't.

But what you said about not wanting to see the casually dating just shows that books whose whole point is romance don't work. If there were more different story, you wouldn't mind the realistic love parts.

I understand where you're coming from too, and it's obvious neither of us is going to convince the other, so we should probably stop arguing before I kill someone. :P

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren But believable is boring. And i dont believe every book you've read has been beleivable, thats how imagination works and why i like books, because they tell stories that could NEVER happen. I'ts the beauty of imagination.

Yeh we will just have to agree to dissagree on this one :) lol.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments It doesn't have to be believable as in realistic, it has to be believable as in it's plausible. My favorite books are well-done fantasy, where the strangest magic things are believable. It's the beauty of imagination, yes, but it has to have a backing or it doesn't make sense and leaves you unsatisfied. I guess that type of "believable" is different for different people though.

Oops. I continued. Ok, now I am stopping, and agreeing to disagree.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I will resist the temptation to reply lol. Ok, the debate has ended lol.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yay. We have succeeded.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren haha. I feel mature.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Me too. ;)

message 28: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments COngratgulations guys, here's some cookies for succeeding in ending the debate. :) *holds out basket of cookies*

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yay! I like cookies! *bites into one* Thanks! They're good.

message 30: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments You are quite welcome, they're homemade.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Even better. Are they chocolate chip?

message 32: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Uh huh! But of course!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Excellent! Can I have another?

message 34: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Sure! *holds out basket for Kate*

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yay! *grabs a few* Yum! I might be back when I finish these.

message 36: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments *laffs* OKay.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Wow. Just been reading through the posts.
I know a lot of people like to bash TWILIGHT (it's funny because a couple years ago, it was cool to like the series and now I guess it's 'cool' to not like it) but it is a story about love, despite what peoples' personal reactions are to it. It is what it is, and that's a paranormal love story.
I wouldn't really use it for an assignment, though. Teachers usually like to see stuff that's either older (a "classic") or recent, but critically acclaimed.

I'd actually suggest A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. You can contrast productive (if unrequited) love with borderline-obsessive and one-sided love, and they're both by Dickens :D

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Oh no, it's not cool to not like Twilight. Having disliked it since it came out, I can promise you I was in the minority then, and still am now.

I'm not going to argue about it again, but in my opinion it's not about love. Which has little to do with my reaction about it. It was marketed as a paranormal love story, but that doesn't mean it was.

I'm about to get into full rant mode, so I'll stop there. If you're interested, you can look at my earlier posts.

And Rae, those cookies were great.

message 39: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I thank you again. :)

message 40: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments Dash and Lily's book of Dares is reaaaaallllly good!

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I didn't really like Twilight either but i recomnend Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel even though it is anouther vmpire novel but different because the main character becomes human.
It is a love story but also with a little adventure

message 42: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I didn't like Twilight, but I think that The Host, also by Stephanie Meyers was pretty good. Her writing really improved since Twilight. I would recommend it to anyone.

message 43: by Grace P (new)

Grace P (gracefulreads) The Matched Trilogy