Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > Met your yearly goal?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've always wanted to reach that goal of 100 books in a year! Yes, it's an arbitrary number. Yes, some of them were novellas. But what I'm proud of is that reading became my focus. I made time to turn the TV off to read. I tried many new authors suggested by my Goodreads friends. All in all, I'm pretty proud that I met the goal!

Does anyone else have yearly reading goals? Why that goal? Did you meet it? Are you thinking of another goal for next year?

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I've read close to or over 100 books for the last few years. This year I will be nowhere near that goal! I got horribly sidetracked by a number of projects and only just returned to my regular reading schedule quite recently!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Yes, I had a goal of 100 books this year and had hoped to attain it, since I read 96 last year. Sadly, as of the 1st of December, I've only read 72 books. In my own defense, though, I've read an abundance of tomes this year, as my stats page shows I'm only 15 percent behind last year with respect to pages read.

message 4: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I don't set a goal in terms of number of books per month or year or whatever. My only real goal is to try and read all my to-be-reviewed books (which are usually advance reading copies) before the publication date, so I can get the review done on time, i.e. on or right before that date. In that sense, I've been able to accomplish my goal most of the time this year, although right now I'm a few books behind and trying to catch up.
As for numbers, I've read 72 books so far this year. A handful of those were rereads when I was still preparing to do the Malazan Reread on tor.com, which I subsequently opted out of because I just didn't have the time to handle both my regular reviews and the reread.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments I've never set goals. The number of books I read is based on two factors, amount of time I have to read and number of books with strong enough recommendations for me to take the time. I've found over the last fifteen years or so that either my expectations have risen or the 'quality' of the books themselves has fallen 0or both. But I'm finding that I don't read the authors that I once read voraciously. The prose is too simple. The story too predictable or too lackluster. The characters are too one dimensional or too flat in development through the course of the book.

That said, I don't really know how many books I've read this year. Probably in the neighborhood of twenty.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2354 comments Mod
I don't set a goal, but usually end up with 70-75 new books per year, not including re-reads. I just looked at my list and was surprised to see that I'm up to 73 already; I barely read at all during my first trimester so I didn't think my total was going to be quite as high this year, but now that I think about it the fall is always a slow reading time for me as I'm getting the school year going, so I guess it's not that different!

I could probably make it to 100 in a year if I gave up re-reading, but I'm just not willing to do that - sometimes (especially when I'm stressed out) I just need to revisit my old favorite books, like visiting with old friends, you know? :)

message 7: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments This was the first year I ever set any reading goals, and I've done pretty well. I wanted to hit 100, which I did less than a week ago with The War of the Worlds. I joined four challenges in the various genres I read (one SF, one fantasy, one mystery, one classics) and so far I've finished the SF challenge, I finished a light version of the classics challenge, I'm one book away from finishing the mystery challenge, and I'm seven books away from finishing the fantasy challenge. So I'm pretty pleased with how the year turned out!

All these challenges significantly cut back my rereads though, which is all right for now but not sustainable long-term. I suspect when I get a job the percentage of new books to rereads will go down precipitously.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I don't know if I could ever get to 100 books a year, typically I only read two or three books per month. But I'm happy to say that I kicked it into overdrive the last couple months and am hoping to hit 50 for the year! Assuming I get through all of my remaining December reads, I'll hit it! I feel accomplished. I think next year I'll go for 75. I'm a goal oriented person, so having a number set helps me stay motivated.

message 9: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I don't have a reading goal. I have read 91 books so far this year and expect that once I get done with the semester that I will burn through enough more to get to 100. My goal is really to be able to put down the books long enough to meet my other responsibilities. I am pleased that I slogged my way through a few classeics this year that I had never read.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 6 comments I just started one a few months ago. It was for 50 books in a year. Turns out I will be way exceeding that number Yay!! So I've been thinking about starting a new personal challenge in Jan of perhaps 120 books in a year. I notice I average about ten books a month.
I was wondering if I should have a minimum page count for a book. I count novellas which almost seems to be cheating. One book/novella I read only had 69 pages in it. That was kind of pushing it to call it a book. But in the end I've decided anything that it's in a stand alone form- not part of anthology counts as a book. Even if it's really short. Everybody has to draw the line somewhere- Some people count audio books- which I do not. A book is something you read not listen to in my personal rules.

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Irene,

I count novellas as a book. I count 1000+ tomes as only one book. I figure it all works itself out. Plus, I think that the novella is such an important format. They allow an author to explore, tell a fast paced fable, etc.

You count your novellas! It's your goal, meet it in whatever way satisfies you.

Maybe I should stop ranting... :)

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 6 comments Thanks Laurel : )

message 13: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I used to always set a reading goal. Then I got out of the habit of heavy reading, and the goal-making went to the wayside. The past several years, I have again had time to read a lot, so I've been setting goals for myself again. (And as with most things in life, I tend to analyze and organize my lists sixty ways and back again.)

I have set a relatively modest goal the past couple of years - 50 books in a year, or approximately one a week with a couple of weeks for unforeseen roadblocks. But I've exceeded this goal each year, including 2010, so I am raising my bar this next year. I don't plan to get too bent out of shape over the actual number, but I'm hoping for 70-75 books in 2011. More important to me than the number is the actual books themselves. I will have to add some for group reads, add some new releases that intrigue me as the year goes by, fit them into tasks for various group challenges, etc., but my goal for the coming year is to read all or most of the books on my tentative "2011 TBR" shelf, with a dozen or so slots left open for new additions:

My 2011 TBR shelf

message 14: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments I have never set goals like that.
I do average around 50 books a year but I don't believe I am going to make this year. I read but not all that much. A lot of the stuff I was reading was interesting but I didn't think it was well written. The well written stuff I burned through but the not so well stuff dragged on

message 15: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments what should our goals be for 2011? I am thinking that I want to read maybe 5 classics or "literary" books and at least 12 books that teach me something (non fiction) along with the pure fun stuff.

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 48 comments I like to read at least 20 books a year. With work and other hobbies, that's a pretty realistic goal of me. I wish I had more time and I could actually start gnawing away at that massive "To Read" list.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) My goals for 2011:

- Read 75 books.
- For every book I buy new, read two I already own (to whittle down my unread owned book collection).
- Read at least 6 Stephen King books (I'm new to King).

message 18: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Dawn,
that's cool. I buy way faster than I can read so that totally makes sense to me.

message 19: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3317 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "My goals for 2011:- For every book I buy new, read two I already own (to whittle down my unread owned book collection)."

I agree with Marty--that's a good idea. Not sure I could do it, but a good idea.

My goal has been 50 books/year (averaging about a book per week). In 2009 I only managed 40 and so far in 2010 I've only read 20, so I'm not going to make it.

Reading is just one of several things I need to re-prioritize. Maybe it will happen in 2011.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I don't know how well I'll stick to it, but it's worth a try! I only have about 30 books that I own that I haven't read, not nearly as crazy as some people. But it irks me that I keep putting them off. I'd like to get to a point where I've read every single book I own. Hopefully I can get there next year!

message 21: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Dawn and all,
I used to have read or realized I wasn't going to read in any kind of reasonable time frame (classics that I owned but hadn't read kind of thing and some nonfiction) almost everything. But I then would get nervous, like any other sort of addict when my TBR pile got low. Now I am a little older and more established and I have a kindle and the TBR pile is huge....I want some happy medium. I don't want to have only 1 or 2 books waiting for me but neither do I want to have the 95 or so I currently have on the kindle. which is about a year's worth of reading although there's a bunch of it that is that classics that I downloaded because they were free that I will read very slowly.....
balance is not my strong suit....

message 22: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I made a point of not giving myself a specific goal this year and just letting it happen, but deep down inside, I know I was hoping to make it to 100.

I've just put together my November reading summary and I find that I've read 85 book and 14 short stories, for a total of 99 reads (including rereads).

So I guess if I want to reach that unoffical goal, I'll be counting short stories.

message 23: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kerry, why not count them? You read 99 different stories with unique characters who inhabit their own private worlds. I think that's pretty amazing!

message 24: by Sandra (last edited Dec 10, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Hmmm, I never set goals before Goodreads. Early this year I joined the 144 Books in a year club but shortly got bored with posting all those book titles. So anyway, this year I have read 169 books, which I can hardly believe. That's 56,924 pages. No wonder this month I'm finding myself rebelling against the rush and I'm relaxing a bit - rereading two books.

And I really like the idea of making myself read two books I already own before buying a new one!

I can only blame the fact that I'm semi-retired with few demands on my spare time.

message 25: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hmm... I never counted short stories before (not that there's a problem with doing so). I'd probably be over 200 or so if I counted them, with all the anthologies I read.

message 26: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3317 comments Mod
Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I can only blame the fact that I'm semi-retired with few demands on my spare time."

I'm fully retired and, at least this year, it hasn't helped! I hope to re-prioritize things in 2011.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Well I also live alone except for my two dogs. This weekend I am playing watchdog to my two teenage granddaughters and they are good kids so I am getting lots of reading done. They are busy with their own plans so don't require my entertainment.

message 28: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Stefan wrote: "Hmm... I never counted short stories before (not that there's a problem with doing so). I'd probably be over 200 or so if I counted them, with all the anthologies I read."

I don't read a lot of short stories (14 for the year as you saw). I also often only read one story out of an anthology, so it seems easier to count the story than the anthology. If read a whole anthology or collection, that goes into the "books" list.

The short stories we're reading here are working out very well for me as it encourages me to read a story format I don't ususally read.

message 29: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 873 comments I did a reading goal for 2009 to read 50 books. By July and book 60 I was so sick of keeping track of everything I read that I vowed I'd never set a goal again. It just sucked all the fun out of reading for me.

message 30: by JoLene (last edited Dec 28, 2010 09:05AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) This year is the first year that I set a goal of reading 50 books when I discovered a 50 book challenge. I had to list some of the books from memory but I had my library list, bookclub list and what I gave to my sister-in-law so I was able to re-create a pretty good list. I have been tracking since Aug.

In September, I got diagnosed with a serious health issue so that has impacted my reading habits. I'm actually off of work, so in theory, I should be able to read more....but the drugs that I am on effect my ability to concentrate so my materials have changed to 1) books about my issues and 2) I have read many more YA and graphic novels. Anyway, I think that I'll end the year with about 60 books under my belt, including 15 fantasy for a "light" fantasy reading challenge.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Not by half...this year has been a complete disappointment book-wise. My goal of 50 is quite out of reach, which makes my wonder if I should set a new goal this year.

message 32: by cook777 (new)

cook777 | 2 comments I don't and far I know don't plan on ever making a yearly goal. I not really a goal minded person. I just can't push myself just to have the honor of meeting a goal. Its never seen to work for me.

Someone posted that they didn't count audiobooks because it not reading. I do agree to some point (as why I don't really count myself as a book reader because I don't actually read them most of the time.) So that statement makes me wonder on why people read. For me I don't like books to simply read but to enjoy a story, if hearing it or reading it is fine by me. Audiobooks are not really new, it been said that before there was writing, people told stories by telling it to other people.

message 33: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments Here is the way I look at. Usually when you read the words on a page, you attempt to put 100% of your attention on the page. With an audio book, most people do other things at the same time, driving, doing housework or exercise so you are paying attention but not all.
Back in the day of spoken word, people sat around a fire and listened, there was no distractions.

Anyway thats my two cents and way way off topic of book goals

message 34: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments My goal was 100 books this year. I read 133.

When I read short story collections, I counted them as one book. If I read individual short stories, I did not count them at all.

message 35: by Bookbrow (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments I read 37 books this year, which I was content with as that was a high count for me. I did get through one book that I found difficult once before but I took another stab and was glad I did. I would like to read 50 this year so we shall see, the mix will be part classics, part sci-fi and part fantasy. As usual let the last book kind of dictate where my reading goes and like others try to read some of the books that I have bought in the last few years. All this with freelance work and renos yikes.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mawgojzeta wrote: "My goal was 100 books this year. I read 133.

When I read short story collections, I counted them as one book. If I read individual short stories, I did not count them at all."

That's really impressive! Over-reaching your goal by 30%...

message 37: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments @Sarah: I was surprised at how many I read. I had never tracked it before.