SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
Who here is also on Bookmooch?

Link your profile and lets see if there are any books we can mooch from each other :)

If you are not on Bookmooch yet, its worth a look:
http://bookmooch.com/

message 2: by Lu (new)

message 4: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I quit Bookmooch. No one wants to send books to South Africa, and people in SA just pretend to mail me books.

message 5: by Lauren (last edited Dec 06, 2010 12:22AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Kahlan wrote: "I quit Bookmooch. No one wants to send books to South Africa, and people in SA just pretend to mail me books."

Sorry that it didn't work out for you Kahlan :(
It's weird that you couldn't get anyone to send to you from overseas though. I've gotten 154 books through Bookmooch, and most of them were international mooches.

Edit: Aside from two or three books getting lost, I haven't had any trouble with SA mooches either actually.

message 6: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments How expensive is it to mail books overseas?

message 7: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Here's an idea. Why not organize a Bookmooch like service amongst members? Might work for direct person to person exchanges.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Chriz wrote: "How expensive is it to mail books overseas?"

At the moment:
R32 for airmail (if the book is less than 300g and less than 3cm thick)
About R12 per 100g for surface mail

Bookmooch gives you 3 points to compensate for the expense of sending overseas. For sending a book within your country you only get 1 point.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Crusader wrote: "Here's an idea. Why not organize a Bookmooch like service amongst members? Might work for direct person to person exchanges."

Hmm, we could actually just use Bookmooch to facilitate that, and maybe announce here before adding new books so that group members can get first choice. LibraryThing has a similar thing on a large scale.

That way you can use the site for normal mooching or restrict it to this group. There's a function that allows you to reserve your books for your friends only - those who want to restrict mooching to this group can use that.

message 10: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Ah, haven't used Bookmooch so I didn't know it worked that way. Makes sense using that infrastructure.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, it's simple and it's all in place. Plus, the points system keeps things fair - you have to put in as much as you get out.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12658 comments Mod
So far I'm loving bookmooch!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith For those on Bookmooch, I just added the following to my inventory:
Curious Pursuits Occasional Writing by Margaret Atwood The Keys to the Street by Ruth Rendell Air by Geoff Ryman

Air is on 50 wishlists though, so it won't be available for very long. My inventory is here: http://bookmooch.com/m/inventory/laur...