Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Lord of the Rings
This topic is about The Lord of the Rings
Archived 2011 Group Reads > Lord of the Rings - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Loretta (last edited May 01, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Okay here goes everyone. The proposed schedule is as follows.

My edition is the following set of three books--just over 1000 pages, not including endnotes and appendices.

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien

***Now updated to include dates***

The Fellowship of the Ring
Book One
Week 1, January9-15: Prologue and Chapters 1-2, pages 1-63
Week 2, January 16-22: Chapters 3-5, pages 64-105
Week 3, January 23-29: Chapters 6-9, pages 106-159
Week 4, January 30-February5: Chapters 10-12, pages 160-209

Book Two
Week 5, February 6-12: Chapters 1-2, pages 213-264
Week 6, February 13-19: Chapters 3-4, pages 265-312
Week 7, February 20-26: Chapters 5-7, pages 313-358
Week 8, February 27-March 5: Chapters 8-10, pages 359-398, End of First Volume

The Two Towers
Book Three
Week 9, March 6-12: Chapters 1-3, pages 402-449
Week 10, March 13-19: Chapters 4-5, pages 450-494
Week 11, March 20-26: Chapters 6-8, pages 495-545
Week 12, March 26-April 2: Chapters 9-11, pages 546-586

Book Four
Week 13, April 3-9: Chapters 1-3, pages 589-633
Week 14, April 10-16: Chapters 4-6, pages 634-678
Week 15, April 17-23: Chapters 7-10, pages 679-725, End of Second Volume

**Break Week: April 24-30**

The Return of the King
Book Five
Week 16, May 1-7: Chapters 1-3, pages 731-787
Week 17, May 8-14: Chapters 4-7, pages 788-839
Week 18, May 15-21: Chapters 8-10, pages 840-874

Book Six
Week 19, May 22-28: Chapters 1-4, pages 877-936
Week 20, May 29-June 4: Chapters 5-9, pages 937-1008, End of Third Volume

I managed to keep everything 50 pages or less, I think, except for the very first and very last week, which I think works.

Funny, until I split it up like this, I had no idea that Fellowship was the longest of the three.

I also, as you can see, tried to split it so that when one of the volumes or one of the "Books" was ending, we ended a week with it. I figured that would be a good way to reflect on what that book had said as a whole, etc, since these can operate as separate volumes.

Please let me know what you think!

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Are all the copies of the books separated already into two books? Or do I have to go out and buy 6 books instead of 3?

message 3: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Those are just labels within the books. At most you need to buy three volumes, but it's possible to find the entire thing in a one volume edition.

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Okay, thanks!

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I have the lord of the rings trilogy and it is just a set of 3 books that I snagged from the used book store. I also have "The Hobbit" and I am surprised that you are not starting with that since it sets the groundwork for the trilogy and there are quite a few references to it. Just a suggestion :-)

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) May I suggesst a Side Read of The Hobbit...maybe before you all start LOTR?? For those who are interested...

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I was actually thinking the same thing. I was planning on posting a thread (just one) for the discussion of the Hobbit. If we start LOTR in the second week of January, we can read the Hobbit over the course of the last two weeks of December and the first week of January.

And I'd post the thread in this folder rather than the side-reads forum, as they're all connected.

Do three weeks sound reasonable for reading The Hobbit? I'd like to keep it "optional," but was wondering if anyone would like a schedule anyway? It's about 270 pages, so dividing it into three chunks of 90ish pages would work.

message 8: by ♥Xeni♥ (last edited Dec 08, 2010 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Well, I actually found The Hobbit to be not boring, and these three to be totally fall-asleep-now books. But perhaps they get better as a group read.

Anyway, The Hobbit is a prequel, as in, not necessary to understand these three. It's interesting to know what happened 100 years prior to The Fellowship of the Ring, but not necessary to understanding. (This from my sister, who is a die-hard Middle Earthian)

Although, if you are, The Hobbit is also the only one of the four that is on the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die official list.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) sure...post it here, and let eveyone know the 90 pg plan.

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I've read The Hobbit in the past, and remember loving it. (It's about 18 or 19 years ago now, so the memories are otherwise hazy...) And I was planning on rereading it prior to LOTR, but independently. But you're right, Xeni, I don't think it's required reading for understanding LOTR (though I'd place it in required reading just being a good book, LOL).

I'll post a thread, and I'll populate both of these with proposed dates, which I hadn't done before.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I usually read The Lord of the Rings once a year, and this schedule looks great for my 2011 read. I've never read it in a group before, or discussed it, so this sounds like fun. Count me in!

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Excellent Courtney, and welcome.

BTW, in case you didn't notice, we're doing an optional pre-read of The Hobbit, starting December 19, if you'd like to join in for that as well.

message 13: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) This seems fine for me.
I have a week to think over whether I'll join. It's been a while since I read the trilogy and my husband has been planning it as well, so I might do it! :)

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) I think that I'll be joining in with this! One of my goals this year is to read more of the classics, and this definitely qualifies.
Can I just stress that I love this concept of this group? If it weren't for this, I don't think I would have ever gotten around to reading these :]

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) yay, I'm glad more people are committing.

Just a week more! :)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I think I will start reading on the plane on Saturday; since I won't have time a week later. xD

message 17: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) I've fallen way behind on my reading, y'all. I'm very sorry. Things have gone to pot over here, and I'm not sure I can keep up with the weekly readings. In fact, I know I can't. I do want to read and discuss, but won't be able to stay on schedule. I'm not even finished with my re-read of The Stand.

message 18: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Just curious.. How many of you have already read LOTR?

I have, once, and I find it easier to stretch my reading of it out, as I did with the Stand.

When they started reading the Woman in White I couldn't keep myself to the schedule and read it in two weeks time.

So, in the long and elaborate way I'm trying to say.. I'm in! :) And looking forward to see Frodo and Sam and all those merry hobbits again! Not to forget Gandalf and Aragorn.. Yay!

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (bibliocrates) I've read the 1st book, not the entire trilogy.

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I've read Fellowship, but not Two Towers or Return of the King. Plus, I think most people probably know the story form the movies?

I'm planning on finishing up the pre-read of The Hobbit this weekend.

Kristina (kristina3880) I am embarrassed to say I have never read the books nor seen the movies.....(hangs head and sighs in shame). I have read The hobbit. So, we will see how it goes.

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I have never read the books, and I'd always fall asleep while watching the movies, so I'm sitting here, hoping that the books will be better. Much better.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) Kristina wrote: "I am embarrassed to say I have never read the books nor seen the movies.....(hangs head and sighs in shame). I have read The hobbit. So, we will see how it goes."

I've only seen the movies too, and I've never even read The Hobbit, so I'm a ways behind you. :/
But I am looking forward to reading these!

message 24: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I must say the the first two books are a lot like the movies, just more elaborate in their tellings. (For instance the whole story of weather top). The latter of the books, is the one that stands out most, IMO. If you've seen the extended version of LOTR, you know that much happens still. I do love the story, but mostly chose the movie over the books. It will be good to read them again.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea As much as I want to read LOTR I just don't think I can. I have way too many other book group commitments going right now to take on such a biggie. If at some point I can catch up then maybe I'll try to joining in at a later date.

message 26: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 I was hoping to try to join in on this one, but the past few weeks have been completely crazy for me...So I doubt I will be able to do this one. :( Traveling cross country, and having sinus problems since the 26th, I have not had the time to read much! I am behind on The Woman in White, just starting on VI (Marian's June 18th writing). And as for the pre-read, I am only on page 28 on The Hobbit. Eventually I will probably read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and follow along with the discussion, but no idea when that will happen. Also I have several TBR books owed to other people that I would like to get read sooner rather than later.

message 27: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Andrea, it won't be the same without you! :)

AM 10000.. nor without you. We haven't encountered each other much, but as with most things. The more the merrier.

I hope you will find the time eventually. :)

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm a glutton...... I was in the library last night and I walked by a shelf in the YA section and Fellowship of the Rings was right there! I said oh boh, this book is trying to tell me something! I did take it and I'm going to give it a try if I can get caught up with my other books. So you may see me around..hahah I know that this may be the only shot to read this since it is not the type of book that I will read on my own.

Kristina (kristina3880) Are we starting a countdown to the Lord of the rings premier???? Just asking!!? Hope everyone has a great weekend.

message 30: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) LOL, yes, my count down is forcing myself to get through the next 130 pages of The Hobbit so I can start on time. LOL. Wish me luck. :)

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm never going to get caught up!

message 32: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) That's how I feel about The Woman in White :(

message 33: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Maybe a rest week for TWIW to let people get caught up?? It's so much more fun when we all are reading together.

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) That's true. I had similar feelings for a few weeks of The Stand when everyone had either fallen behind or just gone ahead and finished the whole thing.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I just can't start LOTR until I finish the Hobbit and I'm only 25% done with that.Errrr I hate when I self inflict way too much on my plate...lol

message 36: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I do it too. I think I have something like 10 books I want to finish in January...

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I have tower of books on my desk and a half dozen already going.

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea As much as I want to, I am giving up on reading the LOTR with the group. I still haven't finished the hobbit and if I can't make time o get through that then trying to read three more books just seems like a painful experience to myself through. I hope you all understand and I look forward to the next group read.

message 39: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) It seems like LOTR isn't taking up very well. Perhaps postponing it a little?

message 40: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) :( I'd prefer not to, as I'm enjoying reading it. It seems like we've got 4 or 5 dedicated readers, though I haven't posted my comments for this week yet...

message 41: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I have no problem one way or another. Unlike with the stand I won't have any problem following the schedule, but it has been pretty lonely in the topic for week 2, though.

I'll go anywhere the wind blows. :)

message 42: by Loretta (last edited Jan 22, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Yeah, I'm reading that one this afternoon, so don't worry. :) I'll be sure to bombard you with questions to discuss. :-D

But in the meantime I'm heading to the gym. :)

message 43: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Have fun!
I finished reading two books today. Being sick does wonderful things for my reading! :)

message 44: by Gwenyth (new) - added it

Gwenyth Love (everythinggwenny) Hmm maybe I should try things since I never did get into these books but always wanted to.

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) You can still join; we are really not that far! About 30% of the first book. I'd appreciate you joining. :)

message 46: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Gwyneth, you should, we're early in it yet--we're reading this through until May! I probably shouldn't speak for everyone, but I think we're all enjoying it so far, right?

message 47: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Right! :)

message 48: by Gwenyth (new) - added it

Gwenyth Love (everythinggwenny) OK I dug it out and started it this morning. Wooohoo!

message 49: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Feel free to skim the Prologue.

message 50: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) Or the song lyrics! :)

« previous 1