College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > Facebook Cartoon and Fighting Child Abuse

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvia (last edited Dec 05, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Alright, so I'll admitt to being tempted to changing my profile picture to Belle from Beauty and the Beast...but really how is this related to "joining the fight against child abuse"?

I mean it's a little self centred: Here's a picture of what "I" used to love as a child.

I found this on twitter and I thought it was funny:
http://i.imgur.com/yTuez.png

If you want to join the fight against child abuse, please change your picture to something pertaining to child abuse. Or, post a relevant article about child abuse, whether it be identifying the warning signs of child abuse, or a story of child abuse.

Here is my article:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/249...
It focuses on the language problems children face, as a result of child abuse. The most famous case is that of Genie. She was isolated in a dark room, and was not exposed to language during the critical time during child language development. As a result her language was severely impaired.

If you want to view her story this is a good place to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEnkY2...

Please post articles about real-life consequences, so we can discuss and bring awareness to child abuse. A picture of Scooby Doo or Arthur won't help. It will be fun to know what your friends used to watch, but that is beyond the point.

Anyways that is my rant! Tell me what you think.

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I changed my Facebook picture to Ginger from As Told by Ginger.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Why did you decide to change your picture to a cartoon? I want to know your thoughts on child abuse. Do you think the cartoon is the appropriate way to bring attention to child abuse?

message 4: by Tiana (new)

Tiana | 8 comments Silvia! I completely agree about there being no significance in the act of changing your profile. It does nothing for bringing attention to child abuse. I saw my friend's changing their photos and has no idea. I wrote it off as some trend like the doppelganger thing.
I think it is a sad sorry way for people to feel like they were apart of something. It is like some silly badge, but it doesn't do anything. It isn't like someone is promising to donate money to some organization working to stop child abuse for every profile picture changed to a cartoon character.
I'm not changing my profile picture. If I want to fight against child abuse, then I'll raise money, join organizations, do something other than take two seconds to change my profile picture then forget about the whole issue and post bieber videos on my wall.
Haha, sorry. I do get a little irritated about the whole thing.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I'm not really sure I see how it helps bring awareness to child abuse. I never really do those types of FB things anyways so I might just be a little cynical but I think that there are far better ways to bring attention to child abuse. I mean, I'd be so happy if it did bring attention to it but I think a lot of people aren't really giving a second thought to it.

I agree with Tiana..if a charity was getting money for every profile picture that was a cartoon it would be something that makes sense as an easy thing to do to take action and be a part of the fight against child abuse.

I think that researching organizations that deal with child abuse and find ways that you can really help to bring awareness to it or to get on board in the fight against it. I really wish that there was a video about child abuse or some educational thing that people were posting along with their profile picture change. I feel like THAT would promote awareness.

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I do agree with you Sashana. Facebook is an integral part of people's lives and it spreads information quickly. It is a great platform for these sorts of things. However, most people I've talked to had NO idea why people were changing their pictures to that or what it was about. If people were posting something to go along with it to explain why they were doing it would really make sense..with ways you can HELP after awareness has been brought about. I think it's great to get people aware of an issue..but really we all know it is an issue. It's about what can we do about it. I like that your school is doing that. That is the kind of stuff I think should be happening. Bring awareness but take action.

message 7: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Silvia wrote: "Why did you decide to change your picture to a cartoon? I want to know your thoughts on child abuse. Do you think the cartoon is the appropriate way to bring attention to child abuse?"

I think the first step is to make people aware of an issue, which facebook is doing. It's gotten people to talk (you all included) about a serious issue even if you're a skeptic about the way they are going about doing so. It's up to the people who change their pictures to decide whether or not to make an impact. So even if a charity isn't getting money for the pictures posted and even if the significance of changing the profile picture isn't realized by everyone at least FB is shining a light on the issue. My school will be having fundraisers for the next two weeks to help abused children so kudos to FB for impacting the members of my school to do something.

message 8: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Oh, and my thoughts on child abuse or any type of abuse for the matter is something that can never be can never be understood unless you've been abused. I've never been physically abused but I watched my mom get the shit beat out of her by my dad and I've certainly heard my fear share of cutting remarks. I've had friends call me threatening to kill themselves because they were tired of going home because someone would beat them. If it wasn't for facebook no one would be talking about this topic like they are now. It goes above and beyond money when it comes to child abuse, take it from someone who lives and sees it everyday. Please don't think I'm angry at you guys for disagreeing but clearly we disagree on what should and should not be done to shine a light on this issue. End Rant.

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Sashana wrote: "Oh, and my thoughts on child abuse or any type of abuse for the matter is something that can never be can never be understood unless you've been abused. I've never been physically abused but I watc..."

Agreed. Definitely goes above money. I think I'm more about the action part. What action can be done to stop this? Awareness is definitely the right step..but like I said..I think awareness WITH some sort of explanation makes more sense. I would love if videos and links were going around to help better explain why people are changing their pictures and why people need to be aware of it and what they can do to help.

message 10: by Tiana (last edited Dec 05, 2010 12:20PM) (new)

Tiana | 8 comments Sashana wrote: "Oh, and my thoughts on child abuse or any type of abuse for the matter is something that can never be can never be understood unless you've been abused. I've never been physically abused but I watc..."

I have shared similar experiences regarding abuse and I still think the fb thing is silly. Like Jamie, most of the people I've spoken to have no idea why they are changing they're pictures - they just like cartoons. I do agree that yes, it gets people talking because well . . . we're having this discussion about it, haha. My example about what would help, was just an example. Sure, there are other avenues to take that would help stop child abuse. You say it goes above and beyond money and I agree; I'm not saying that money is the sole source of enacting social change, but in American society money is a large part it. Your school wouldn't be hosting a fundraiser if they didn't see money as a way to help make a difference. You're right in saying it isn't the only thing people can do and in fact, I see donating money as an easy write off of an issue as well, but it is a little more useful than pictures of Pokemon and Rugrats.

Anyway, I do think that's great that something is actually being done even if I can't warm to the idea of facebook as a catalyst for social change.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Sashana, Jamie.

message 11: by Silvia (last edited Dec 05, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Sashana I think the point you bring up is very important: awareness is the first step. And in a funny way facebook and changing profile pics may be bringing attention and awareness to child abuse. I just feel it is not enough and it truly frustrates me.

There are so many ways to bring awareness and attention to child abuse. Change your picture to your favourite character and write: I was able to have a favourite cartoon character, whereas other children are neglected, or placed in isolation. Go beyond the picture! Post articles, post videos, volunteer, share stories, bring more awareness.

Sashana, the experiences you talked about are scary. And you talking about them takes a lot of courage, and this is what impacts me, and what really brings awareness for me. Thank you for sharing something so personal.

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) I posted a link about child abuse and wrote that if people really want to bring awareness to the subject they should read the article and educate themselves instead of just changing their profile picture.

if this inspires people to take a stand and get involved, then that's great. but for those people who just change their picture.. they have no right to consider themselves an "activist." changing a profile picture just isn't enough. in fact, it's not even close. so what makes me mad about this is the people who feel all high and mighty because they're "doing something" when really, they aren't doing anything at all.

message 13: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I was just thinking about this too. It's definitely gotten around by word of mouth, but I think that if a particular organization was hosting it, it could be much more effective.

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine just posted their status as this:

"This is something that was a status!IMPORTANT the whole changing your profile picture to your favorite cartoon character thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them it was currently on the program Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv some time tonight put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back!!"

I wonder if it's true...sounds like a far shot..

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I am glad that you guys started this topic. I was one that had no idea why people where changing their pictures to their favorite cartoon. My brother said I should change mine, so I did. I had no idea that it was for child abuse. I agree that changing a picture doesn't really help the cause but I agree that if people say why they are posting them and actually look into why they are changing their pictures then I guess it does help make people aware.

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) Kelly A. wrote: "I was just thinking about this too. It's definitely gotten around by word of mouth, but I think that if a particular organization was hosting it, it could be much more effective.

Interestingly eno..."

Kelly, your friend's status sounds like complete bogus to me. Also, I highly doubt pedophiles even form groups in the first place.

message 16: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Exactly. A group for pedophiles? But since I'd seen it several times, it was making me wonder.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurelei_) I don't think the issue with child abuse is awareness, rather prevention and suitable methods of prosecuting those who commit these acts. People talk about it all the time. This will not stop it. We are inundated with causes and missions, especially on the internet. Most will forget this after the 'event' ends. I think this is a well-intentioned idea, but ultimately will do nothing but spark discussion that was already there.

message 18: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Good. The discussion was sparked! And I agree after changing back to the usual display pictures most people will forget about the issue.

BUT!

I think it is important to spark the discussion here, in the College Students groups because many of us are on our way to preparing for careers. Students can choose to educate themselves on identifying child abuse, bringing awareness to it, and to prevention (especially if their career is child oriented). Even to dedicating their career choice to it.

I know that this is only one discussion, and child abuse will continue to be an ongoing problem. I CANNOT force anyone to be pro-active against child abuse. I CAN try to get the attention of others with discussing it here. And I CAN choose to be pro-active about it. I am applying to graduate school in speech language pathology this January so I can work with children with language disorders (some that are as of a result of child abuse).

message 19: by Tami (last edited Dec 06, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
The first 5 or 10 friends that changed theirs on my facebook had a blurb saying it was to raise awareness for child abuse victims. Then Sunday I saw the posting that it was pedophiles wanting children to add them because they had cartoons as their pic's. I think it probably started out for the right reasons (raise awareness) but ended up being used for the wrong ones (pedophiles). I think raising awareness is the first step to action to help people, so I think it was a great idea.

That said, I didn't change my pic to a cartoon. I used the same one I have on here. It kind of looks like a cartoon and I had a bunch of people tell me I was a strange kid if I watched baseball on tv instead of cartoons, but Ron passed away last week, so I wanted to honor him (even if it was just a facebook photo)

On a lighter note, did any of you have strange flashbacks from your friends postings?