Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you live in Laptopistan?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Dec 05, 2010 07:36AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/nyr...

I do. I love the country of Laptopistan, esp. if I can get a good table and a latte.

message 2: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I'm happy here in Desktopia, although I have the capability to visit Laptopistan whenever I want.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) For some reason all I can think of is Lilliputians.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It is deliberate Larry. RA is now controlling your mind.

message 5: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Does he also control the vertical and the horizontal?

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I feels all these little ropes tugging at me.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did you see Jack Black is starring in a new version of Gulliver's Travels? I'm a bit...how shall I put it...skeptical.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Rightly so.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Are you going to make me read a WHOLE ARTICLE about Brooklyn hipsters?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I only own a laptop but I prefer to use it at home. My laptop is pretty heavy and my shoulder resents it if I have to carry it around. I also hate to hear other people's laptop clicking. I also am not trusting enough to leave my laptop unattended while going to the bathroom. What if that is the moment when a robber bursts into the cafe and steals all the laptops? Or the person who was supposed to be watching mine was leaning over and stealing my social security number or something?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well someone has to read it for us Lobstergirl.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I read it. It was painful.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I don't have a laptop yet.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I use mine all the time. The Mac puts a sag in the mattress when I'm using the computer while in bed.

We have a netbook for traveling. Great convenience, teeeeny-tiny keyboard.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Laptop for me, yes. Half the time, I'm at the table, the other half is mostly on the couch.

message 16: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments The hubs hogs the laptop, but that's okay because things get kinda hazardous for me without the use of a mouse.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I prefer using a mouse too. I got a wireless one. The only problem is replacing the battery.

message 18: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 05, 2010 07:41PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Are you going to make me read a WHOLE ARTICLE about Brooklyn hipsters?"

I found this article interesting mainly because it shows that the New York Times is just like any other hometown newspaper: it prints a lot of amateurish, self-satisfied crapola about the locals.

BTW, I'm writing this on my laptop.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Jonathan wrote: "BTW, I'm writing this on my laptop."

Cool - you can write on your laptop! I have one of those old-style computers where you have to type.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Or keyboard, as RA would say.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have a desktop PC at home -- but a laptop with a docking station for work. I'm actually getting a new one tomorrow, swapping out the old Lenovo T-60 for a new Dell. I've really liked the Levova, as it is very light and thin. But it's been acting up lately, not allowing me to connect to the work network when I travel.

I use a wireless mouse, too, as the touch pads are a pain.

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Phil wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Cool - you can write on your laptop! I have one of those old-style computers where you have to type."

I knew I was doing something wrong...

message 23: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments laptopistan sounds like an ex-soviet state and yes, i have a laptop.

message 24: by Janice (last edited Dec 06, 2010 07:48AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) I have 3 laptops and one pc. The PC is at my office. I use one laptop for taking to my clients' offices. The second is mainly for gaming, and the third laptop is old and decrepid. I'm procrastinating about clearing the data off of it.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Laptopistan is an awesome place to live in! I personally own one, but there is one more laptop, a netbook, and two desktops around the house, but mine is awesome-er...

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love working on my fiction in cafes - or at my bar. I pretend I have no internet connection. At home I don't believe my own deception, and there are a thousand things to distract me.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wait ... you deceive yourself?

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes! I tell myself that I'm on a computer that can't make a wireless connection, and that all it's good for is word processing. Otherwise I'll check goodreads, check facebook, play scrabble etc., same as at home. And at home there are additional distractions: the dog wants in, the dog wants out, I should make dinner, I should clean, I should pay bills.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You play Scrabble?

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry wrote: "You play Scrabble?"

Yes. Except against you, where I seem to mostly lose Scrabble these days.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments SCRABBLE!

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) Lobstergirl wrote: "I only own a laptop but I prefer to use it at home. My laptop is pretty heavy and my shoulder resents it if I have to carry it around. I also hate to hear other people's laptop clicking. I also ..."
..........................And let's not forget the clumsy dumbasses that always show up .