SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

1 view
Warn about "bad" books, or just keep quiet

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments Today's e-mail update showed one of my Goodreads friends about to read a book that I thought was just about the worst POS to ever make a best-seller list. I thought about posting a comment but decided not to. Different strokes, and maybe I'm wrong, and maybe she'll like it.

What do you do when you see someone about to read a book that you thought was a waste of time and money? Would you like to be warned? Would you read it anyway? Do negative comments color your judgment?

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments You're not talking about me and The Historian, are you? :) Just in case you are, the main reason I haven't tried this book yet is that I remembered how much you said you disliked it. But I have another friend telling me she loved it. How to decide?

I do like to hear people's opinion about books. A negative opinion doesn't always stop me from reading a book, just like a positive one doesn't always make me run out and buy a copy.

message 3: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments Yep. That's the book. :-)

I hope you like it. I was okay with it, for over 500 pages, actually.

I think my intense dislike for the book was partly because of the hype. Several mainstream reviewers loved it, which is unusual for horror fiction. So my expectations were way too high.

message 4: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Julie I'd prefer someone told me, though I can't promise to take their advice.

I've seen a few books added to "to-read" shelves that have made me wince and I haven't said anything. So, do as I say, not as I do. :D

message 5: by Dani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments While I don't mind people telling me how they felt about it, I'd still read it. I'd also hope they would do the same if the positions were reversed.

Personally, I like a good discussion with someone who felt the opposite about a book I've read.

message 6: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Julie What is it with that Greyfax Grimwald book? I think I ended up putting it on my to-read pile because I kept seeing it slammed everywhere and then I was reading a list of recommended fantasy and there it was. Weird.

message 7: by Dora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Dora | 41 comments I'd want to hear it as long as you give me an idea of why you didn't like it. I belong to a book group where everyone reads some books in common (in addition to what we read for the group...), but also some very different stuff. I always find it helpful to hear why someone liked or disliked a book (and can predict pretty well who will like which book in the meantime), but don't let positive or negative reviews sway me unless I know I have very very similar tastes to the reviewer.

message 8: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Tracey | 20 comments I appreciate comments/reviews that explain why someone liked or disliked a book & try to provide the same.

message 9: by SmartAleq (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

SmartAleq | 1 comments Differences of opinion about books are the source of some of my favorite discussions--when everyone luuuuurves a certain book it becomes a wankfest, when everyone detests a book it's a pileon (more amusing than a wankfest, but still not terribly useful or productive) but when intelligent people disagree the discourse that ensues brings enlightenment and understanding. Granted, sometimes the only enlightenment is that one is the only one who grasped the scope of the book and the understanding is that one should never listen to certain people when it comes to literature, but the process is fun nonetheless!