Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Please share a quote with your CONTEMPORARIES who love FICTION.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Sorry it took me so long to post this. I TOLD you not to make me a mod (LOL). Really, it was my first week back at work after two months and I was pretty well exhausted when I got home each night.

message 2: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments The Beautiful Between pg. 11 (since the book is only 180 pgs)

"Don't worry, Connelly," Kate said as she headed to her class and I turned toward mine, "Jeremy may be the most popular boy in school, but he's really just as dorky as you and me."
And then she grinned at me, and I smiled back. I don't believe for a second that Kate Cole is a dork, let alone Jeremy, but it still made me feel better knowing that she thinks they are --and that she thinks we're the same.

message 3: by Susan (last edited Dec 10, 2010 07:12AM) (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
The Road by Colman McCarthy

No lists of things to be done. The dav providential to itself. The our. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes. So, he whispered to the sleeping boy. I have you.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

"I don't know exactly how to say this," I said. "I thought I'd had a pretty hard life. But I keep finding out that life can be hard in ways I never knew about."

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
If I Stay by Gayle Forman

"It didn't quite work that way for us. It turned out that coming from such far corners of the social universe had its downsides. We continued to see each other in the music wing, but these interactions remained platonic, as if neither one of us wanted to mess with a good thing. But whenever we met in other places in the school--when we sat together in the cafeteria or studied side by side on the quad on a sunny day--something was off. We were uncomfortable. Conversation was stilted. One of us would say something and the other would staret to say something else at the same time."

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher James (chrisodonnell) The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

'It isn't just the past we remember, it's the future too. Fifty percent of memory is devoted not to what has happened, but to what will happen next. Appointments, anniversaries, meeting, all the rolling engagements and plans, all the hopes and dreams and ambitions which make up any human life - we remember what we did and what we will do.

Only the knife edge of the present is 'hard' to any degree. Past and future are things of the mind, and a mind can be changed.'

message 7: by Susan (new)

From I'd Tell You I Loved You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You:

"Good." She smoothed my hair, and I wondered for the millionth time if she had one set of hands for work and another for moments like this. I imagined her keeping them in a briefcase and swapping them out, silk for steel. r. Fibs could have made them -- but he didn't.

message 8: by Susan (new)

From The Shadow of the Wind:

Not on p. 46, but too good not to mention:

"This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down the pages, its spirit grows and strengthens." (p. 6)

"Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you," answered Julián." (p. 209)

message 9: by Susan (new)

From The Shadow of the Wind:

From p. 46:

"When I was not at school or with Clara, I devoted my time to helping my father in the bookshop -- tidying up the storeroom in the back of the shop, delivering orders, running errands, or even serving regular customers. My father complained that I didn't really put my mind or my heart into the work. I, in turn, replied that I spent my whole life working there and I couldn't see what he could possibly complain about."

message 10: by Luann (last edited Dec 27, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Susan wrote: "From The Shadow of the Wind:

"This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul..."

Nice book quotes, Susan! I especially like "Books are mirrors..."

ETA: Just checked the quote page for The Shadow of the Wind and I see that I already had the first quote you gave on my favorites list! :) So I added the "books are mirrors" quote to my list and a couple of others while I was there. I guess I need to read that book!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Luann wrote: "Susan wrote: "From The Shadow of the Wind:

"This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here has a ..."

I bet you'll love it. It had been on my TBR for AGES.