The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Arnaldur Indriðason

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Labeeb (new)

Labeeb Xaman (labeeb-xaman) I read Jar City/ Tainted Blood by Arnaldur Indriðason some months ago and really liked it. It was a really nice book but the story seemed pretty straightforward to me and I didn't find any twists in it. I wanted to read more of his books but I wanted to know if his other books have any twists or are they written in the same way with the story being straightforward like in Jar City?

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9225 comments Mod
They get even better after Jar City, actually. As far as twists, yes ... There are a few twists in some of his books. The draining Lake and Voices are definitely surprise endings. I have read and really enjoyed this series and can recommend them.

message 3: by Labeeb (new)

Labeeb Xaman (labeeb-xaman) Thanks. I guess after reading Dan brown, Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan I just expect twists in mystery crime books. I loved the way Jar City was written. I Loved it that the crime uncovered some past relations and family issues and all. It was written really nicely but I was just hoping for something unexpected to happen I guess. Thank you again. So I can keep on reading his books then. :P

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Well, I wouldn't expect the Dan Brown approach in these novels, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's no "secret stuff" along the way.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Nancy, they do get better after Jar City. And I think you will be surprised by some subtile twist - as long as you don't expect anything mind blowing. Past and present family issues will keep you intrigued, I'm sure. I hope to get to read the last two of this series, I'm anxiously waiting for the translation (Svörtuloft (2009) and Furðustrandir (2010)). Enjoy reading!

message 6: by Labeeb (new)

Labeeb Xaman (labeeb-xaman) Thanks :)

message 7: by 4cats (new)

4cats (fourcats) Love Indridason have read all of his novels apart fromHypothermia which i've got on the shelf to read.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Hypothermia is really good -- one of his best, I think.

message 9: by 4cats (new)

4cats (fourcats) Nancy wrote: "Hypothermia is really good -- one of his best, I think."

Must read it, am trying to give December over Agatha Christie, so will be reading it in Jan.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I thought Silence of the Grave was his best (I haven't read Hypothermia yet). Some of them were extremely weak, like Voices and Arctic Chill.

message 11: by 4cats (new)

4cats (fourcats) I've got to admit I really have enjoyed all of the Indridason, i think i have taken Erlendur and his team to heart and i love the bleakness of the writing.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hypothermia (other topics)