Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

suggestions > book suggestions please

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie OK- I'm going to sound like a total wally, but the sort of sci fi books I'd like to try next, and have difficulty finding, are ones set on space stations, or ones involving space travel to new worlds.

In my defence I'd like to say I've read a variety of books - Orson Scot Card, Zimmer Bradley, Margaret Weiss, Pohl, Philip Jose Farmer, Adams, Orwell, Huxley, Bradbury, etc etc - so I'm not a fool. But I'd like to read space station books, so come on, what are they?

message 2: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 20 comments Have you read C.J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #3)? Very much set on a space station. ;)

Lois McMaster Bujold's Ethan of Athos is ON a space station, but not really ABOUT the space station. . . though the resolution of the mystery very much hinges on a fact of station life.

It's been a lot of years, but I'm pretty sure Gordon R. Dickson's The Final Encyclopedia takes place mostly on the eponymous station. . . but I have no idea if it works as a stand-alone novel, as by the time I got to it I had read like five other novels in the Childe Cycle.

That's all I've got for space-station-centric SF. For exploring new worlds. . . that seems a rather large category. Do you particularly like exploring exobiology? Or the more survival-oriented stories? With intelligent aliens, or just alien plant/animal life?

message 3: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 8 comments Orbital Decay by Allan Steele is set on a space station and concerns building another space station.

Steele is a good writer. I think you would enjoy trying him.

message 5: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 33 comments The Disappeared and it's sequels (I've only read The Disappeared but I'm pretty sure they are all set similarly)

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lalexisk) | 2 comments Not sure if this is the perfect fit but I just finished (and really enjoyed) Grimspace by Ann Aguirre. The main character is a jumper, meaning that she has the ability to jack into the interstellar super highway that slings ships from one side of the universe to another in an instant. Its the first in a series of books (which I plan to start the second one soon) but this book could stand alone as a great read.

If you're looking for something a bit lighter, I might suggest the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 12 comments Some one mentioned lois mcmasters bujold.have you read any of her Miles vorkosigan series.

message 8: by Boytoe (new)

Boytoe | 4 comments The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is a great read.

message 9: by Maggie (last edited Dec 05, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

Maggie Thanks for these suggestions. I did read Hitchhikers Guide - once all the way through, and a second time a few years later just to check how I felt about it. Even progressed to the next in the series, but hated it with a passion. Sorry if that offends - I'm probably about to be struck out of the sci-fi chat but I really dislike that book, that style of writing etc. However some of the other books sound ok, and I'll check them out. I already have Lois McMaster Bujold down as one to find - the Chalion series.

message 10: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) Maggie wrote: "OK- I'm going to sound like a total wally, but the sort of sci fi books I'd like to try next, and have difficulty finding, are ones set on space stations, or ones involving space travel to new worl..."

i haven't read it yet, but i love the idea of horror in a space station, and so it's now on order:
Crescent

message 11: by Marc (last edited Dec 06, 2010 05:14AM) (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 121 comments Maggie wrote: "However some of the other books sound ok, and I'll check them out. I already have Lois McMaster Bujold down as one to find - the Chalion series."

While the Chalion series is a great set, especially the first, they are straight fantasy, set in an alternate version of Spain. For space stations, try Komarr, or Diplomatic Immunity. The book in between these two, A Civil Campaign, is one of her best novels.

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie mark wrote: "Maggie wrote: "OK- I'm going to sound like a total wally, but the sort of sci fi books I'd like to try next, and have difficulty finding, are ones set on space stations, or ones involving space tra..."

Now that sounds good.

message 13: by Maggie (last edited Dec 06, 2010 10:58PM) (new)

Maggie Marc wrote: "Maggie wrote: "However some of the other books sound ok, and I'll check them out. I already have Lois McMaster Bujold down as one to find - the Chalion series."

While the Chalion series is a gre..."

Thanks so much for this helpful advice. Will check out these books plus the entire Vorkosigan books range as recommended by other people too.

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 7 comments Great space station read: In the Company of Others.

Space travel, a lot of fun, gave me many laughs, with a fast moving plot and superb characters: The Myriad and sequels by R.M. Meluch. Her work is VASTLY underappreciated, IMHO.

I also recommend SF by Sarah Zettel, Playing God or The Quiet Invasion both had interesting takes on other worlds and spacecraft.

message 15: by Daniel (last edited Jan 10, 2011 02:06PM) (new)

Daniel | 11 comments I enjoyed Gridlinked quite a bit. Read it the first time...well many years ago, but still like it. Has plenty of interplanetar travel (though a good parth through a kind of warpgates), a few space stations, and quite a bit of "regular" interstellar voyage.
About the story:
It takes place in a time when human beings can practically get as old as they please with the help of genetic engineering, and are able to upgrade themselves in numerous ways, genetically and bilogically. Traveling, at least between civilized worlds, is usually done by some kind of gateways called "runcibles". The main figure is a renowned agent who has become addicted to a constant direct brain uplink. He started acting more like a robot than a human being some time ago and has to quit now...cold turkey. While readjusting to a "normal" life he's up against terrorists and aliens, but I don't want to give away too much.
I wouldn't consider it a very deep or meaningful book by any means, it's just outright entertaining. If that sounds like your kind of book then give it a shot, you won't regret it.

message 16: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 33 comments I'll second Gridlinked and the 5 books that follow it as the Agent Cormac series. Even better, also by Neal Asher is the Spatterjay series beginning with The Skinner.

I buy everything Neal Asher writes. A most imaginative far future.

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Thanks for all these suggestions.

We have an excellent secondhand book shop in the Adelaide Hills with a huge SF collection (the owner has a passion), so I'm planning a trip soon with my list.

Also found a collection of short stories in the recent online book sales called "Space Stations" edited by Greenberg and Helfers, with 14 stories written by a wide range of authors (including Czerneda who wrote "In the company of others") so that should give me a boost.

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 11 comments oh yeah and also (don't know if it was ever translated, or if you speak german) but Quest. is also quite a nice read. Takes place almost exclusively on a (very large, you could almost say space station like) Spaceship, traveling to a distant planet. Should fit your description almost perfectly!

message 19: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicelouise) | 8 comments Maggie wrote: "OK- I'm going to sound like a total wally, but the sort of sci fi books I'd like to try next, and have difficulty finding, are ones set on space stations, or ones involving space travel to new worl..."

Star Trek has the Taurus Reach series. It is set in the time of Kirk and Spock. However, they are not the main character. Some of the prose is a little purple.

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Here are some you might enjoy:
Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia
Low Port

In the Brain Ships series by Anne McCaffrey, they have two books about a Brainship/station. I always recommend reading series in order (start with the omnibus Brain Ships), but the station books are The City Who Fought and The Ship Avenged (also found in the omnibus The City and The Ship.)

The classic Ender's Game is of course set almost entirely on a space station.

Many of the Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh have action taking place on space stations, IIRC.

Space Cadet
Beholder's Eye
This Alien Shore

The Sector General books by James White are all set on a giant hospital space station.

Most of the Retrieval Artist books are based on space stations, start with the title's novella in The Retrieval Artist and Other Stories and then move to The Disappeared.

Time Future
Space, Inc
Kingdom of Cages
Playing God
Night Train to Rigel
Not her best, by any means, but cute: Falling Free, a precursor to the Vorkosigan novels.

HTH, Happy Reading!

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Ok, I've just returned from the Blackwood book exchange with the following under my arm:
Kristine Kathryn Rusch The Disappeared
Maxine McArthur Time Future
Ben Bova Moonrise
James White Hospital Station and Star Surgeon - this series looks like fun
Allen Steele Orbital Decay
C J Cherryh Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #3)

Now, just need lots of time to read! Will let you know what I think about them. Keep the suggestions rolling in, and thanks for your help.

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (locustmom) I am new to this group. I love all SciFi and Fantasy. Some of my recent favorites:
The Dalriada Trilogy by Jules Watson (starts with The White Mare). She is now one of my favorite authors. Not necessarily an easy read but so worth the time and effort!

Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes. If you have not heard of him yet, check out his website. He is a 25 year old first time author who is really funny and extremely talented.

The Twelve Houses Trilogy by Sharon Shinn. Just discovered her and was completely spell-bound. Just started with Mysic and Rider and now can't wait to red the rest.

And I just cannot leave out the masterful Juliet Marillier and her Seven Waters Series...what can I say other than a beautifully written series following generations of the Seven Waters family. Always surprises, magic and adventure while never predictable.

The Study series by Maria V. Snyder (starting with Magic Study). Wow--- love the characters so much and such a heroic heroine... this is one trilogy that I wish could go on and on to see what becomes of these wonderfully rich beings...

Well off to the library now that my TBR pile is getting low. I would love some more suggestions from all of you. Thanks!!

message 23: by Patty (new)

Patty Jansen (pattyjansen) | 6 comments I totally second the recommendations for C.J. Cherryh. She is my favourite author.

Also Lois McMaster Bujold and Elizabeth Moon.

I like Stephen Baxter, Greg Bear and Greg Benford, but they're a lot more technical.

message 24: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (amazinggracie5683) DELIRIUM (lauren oliver)

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica Zinn (ezmoving) | 3 comments The new e-book Islandia: The Lost Colony by C.J. Klinger (amazon and B&N) fits your description to a T! This story is an great read that has excellent character development and plot. The whole trilogy is set around space travel and new worlds. Enjoy

New York Review Books | 1 comments In the next few months we have two SciFi books coming out that look great: Hav by Jan Morris and Red Shift by Alan Garner. I'm super excited for them, let me know if anyone wants to read.

Nick

message 27: by Tavis (new)

Tavis Saito | 1 comments "Live Ship" by Anne McCaffery
Piers Anthony also has some fun SciFi space books

message 28: by Debi (new)

Debi | 2 comments The Voyage of the Space Beagle, A E Van Vogt
(Sort of an early Star Trek with alien encounters on the ship.)

Across the Universe, Beth Revis
(dystopian society aboard a spaceship which is floundering in space and a murder mystery as the cryogenically frozen passengers are being unplugged and left to die. Amy doesn't die and is determined to find out who tried to kill her.)