College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Thirty books to read before you are thirty

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) There are a lot of lists out there about book but I stumbled across this and thought other people might find it interesting since several of us are nearing the age mark.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22189/9...

I have either read or attempted 13 of them, and only 3 years to finish the list (even though there are several that I have no desire to try).

Any ideas about what you think should be excluded or included on the list?

message 2: by Natanya (last edited Dec 04, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments I've only read 6 of those, and read part of 1 more (never actually got all the way through Catch-22...). I read Plato's Symposium in class this semester, but I haven't read Republic. Probably never will. But I also have another 11 years before I turn 30.

I think most of those books are good to include...some of them I feel like it would be fine to just read part of it, like for The Rights of Man.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) In my count I included a few books I had only read a part of, like senior english we read several excepts from Walden and I fell like I got a good idea about it and I also never got all the way through Catch 22.

I was thinking about it and I think that given the e-book age we are entering Fahrenheit 451 should be included.

message 4: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments Ohh I agree! I'm planning on reading Fahrenheit 451 over break. I've been meaning to read it for years.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I've read 5 books off of that list. Attempted 3 and there are 14 books on the list that I'm interested in reading.

I'm surprised Fahrenheit 451 isn't on the list. I finally read it over the summer!

message 6: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have read 12. May read a few more, but definitely not interested in a few. Some of these are odd choices I think. The comments were really interesting too.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Normally I really love lists like this, but I agree with Tami - some of these choices seem really odd - and DULL for that matter. Darwin? Ugh. I mean, you can't deny the social and political changes that came from the book, but still - what a snooze factory.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I think it is important to be aware of Darwin's book along with the social and political changes it evoked but I really don't think it is necessary to read it and it's entirety.
I was really glad to see To Kill a Mockingbird and Wind in the Willows and would like to see more like that...maybe we should make our own list.

message 9: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We all have such different tastes that there would be a really hard time making a list. :)

message 10: by Ashley (last edited Dec 06, 2010 02:52PM) (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Annashu wrote: "maybe we should make our own list."

Goodreads does have the "list" capability where people can add and vote for their favorites! Maybe there is already a list out there like this?

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I was really just kidding, I think it would be impossible.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Annashu wrote: "I was really just kidding, I think it would be impossible."

Haha, aww, where's the spirit? :-D

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) now I'm a little tempted, I am out of school for a while and need a project...stay tuned

message 14: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I've only read 6 of these, and I have no idea why The Wind in the Willows is on there haha. I read it this past summer and would be no worse off had I not read it... I didn't like it so much. I think their reason is a little weird too, since I feel like there are a lot more books that make you appreciate the simple things in life, especially children's books.

In my own list, I'd put A Wrinkle in Time over that one.

message 15: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I've read 6 of the books. There's a lot of really good books on this list, but like others have said some pretty odd choices too.

But even for the good ones, what does age have to do with it? These are some great books whether you're 25 or 65. I just thought it was odd list in general, to say that these books should be read before 30.