The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > another bookworm creeps in

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnat) | 5 comments Hi to everyone! I've been on Goodreads for a few months now but this is my first discussion group. I've loved reading since I was a little kid, in fact I don't remember learning to read - it was just always there. The story is that I just started reading along with my older brother when I was about three. Although I am especially fond of biographies, historical fiction, and disaster books (I'm not sure where my morbid streak comes from) I think I can enjoy any genre when it's well written, so I try to keep an open mind. I guess I'd place myself square in the middle between the too-fluffy and the too-academic (but I occasionally stray to either end of the spectrum and end up liking it!)

The picture in my avatar is my bull terrier, Luke - he's an only child, just a little spoiled, and quite an accomplished snuggler when I'm curled up with a good read.

message 2: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Luke is soooo cute! Our coco (coconut in Spanish), loves to read with us too, he rests his nose on our legs when we get ready to read and then falls asleep there... glad you are here!

message 3: by Siobian (new)

Siobian Hi Donna! It's great to meet you! Luke is so cute! We have a cat named Frankie who when she sees us getting ready to read, will come and nose herself in and get right in front of the book and go to sleep.

message 4: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments Welcome, Donna! I have GOT to get me a puppy! I have 4 cats, but they are not snugglers. They like to lie on TOP of the books or on top of my head, but not snuggle near by.

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Hi Donna, welcome to the group :)

message 6: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Hi Donna-

Another newbie here.

I envy your cuddly dog. I chose a cat who allows physical contact strictly on her own tight and unpredictable schedule. Bluedaisy- I can relate.

Welcome.

message 7: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments hehehe...they've temporarily left me alone, but I'm sure they'll be back.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hi Donna,your lovey is pretty cute.I love The Flight of the Concords as well and came this close to buying their series last night.I noticed on your bookshelves that we have a number of books in common so I will enjoy seeing your posts and what you're reading.

Marsha,I can so relate!My lovey is a cat named Blinkey who ignores me one moment and then stalks me the next until I drop everything and give him the attention he believes he deserves.Strictly by his schedule,though now that he's older he enjoys cuddling a lot more.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Welcome, hope you enjoy our group :)

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10108 comments Mod
Hey Donna.. welcome to the group! I am glad you are posting and feeling the full force of the group pulling and dragging you in deeper and deeper... you will become one of us.. dont resist. resistance is uselss... haa haa
Disaster novels, if written correctly, can be a scary and eye opening experience...

We are discussing The Road currently, so join in if you have read it.

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 22 comments Hi, Donna! I always enjoy connecting with other book- and pet-loving people. Scout (my sweet old girl lab) and I welcome you! She's quite taken with Luke. ;)

message 12: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Hey Donna, let me add my welcome as well! It sounds like there are a number of us who enjoy the occasional disaster book. I am a huge fan of Jon Krakaur's Into Thin Air and Into the Wild. And as far as mixing history and disaster, have you read The Worst Hard Time (about the Depression, particularly the Dust Bowl. It's fascinating!).

Glad to have you here!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Welcome! Look forward to reading your posts! Prepare to become addicted!!

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnat) | 5 comments thank you so much, everyone, for your warm welcomes! Luke is very appreciative of the compliments, he's getting a little sensitive about his weight since he turned 8 and saw the word "senior" on his chart at the vet's office. :-P

As much as I love the snugglin' there are a few times when I wish he was a little more like a cat. When we travel, he has to have an overnight dog sitter and they have to be warned that he will sleep with them. Luke was a rescue - luckily, just an emotionally neglected owner-surrendered dog who went into purebreed rescue, not a shelter dog - but we think his upbringing and the rescue experience enhanced his natural neediness.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets sucked in by the disasters. I appreciate the rec, Val, because I really enjoyed both of the Krakauer books that you love. I have been through phases where it's been surviving disaster stories (the whaleship Essex, plane crash in the Andes, etc.), the Galveston hurricane, the Hartford Circus fire... I do mix it up with some light and fluffy reading, I promise.

Off to see what everyone's been talking about! Thanks again for the enthusiastic welcome!