Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Best Christmas book EVER!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I freely admit I'm a lover of Christmas books -- every year I buy a few for myself. I'd like to know what everyone's favorite Christmas book is (not just romance or historical -- anywhere, anytime).

message 2: by JanetTronstad (last edited Dec 03, 2010 10:50AM) (new)

As I said, I love, love Christmas books so this isn't an easy one, but I have to say I'd vote for 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' -- it's a funny, funny book about a woman who is putting on a Christmas pageant. I need to look up the author and I'll re-post it. (Later) The author is Barbara Robinson.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Wow that is tough. I only been reading a few years so most of the Christmas books I've read are LI.
I liked all the Christmas ones I read so far. I'll have to give it a good think I guess.

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments thats to hard most I have read I have liked and I read quite a few each year. Honestly I cant give you a favourite.

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

Okay -- for those who can't give an absolute favorite -- just give us one of your favorites. Something you would recommend to the rest of us.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thats still hard. Im reading Mail order brides and loving it.

Christmas Mail-Order Brides Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love (Romancing America) by Susan Page Davis

another one this year which is really good but different but really good is

Snow Day by Billy Coffey

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Thanks, Ausjenny -- I've been tempted to order Mail Order Brides so I might do that.

message 8: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I have an old one that I am reading that I got from my sister, two books in one, Lauraine Snelling "The most wonderful time of the year" and Lenora Worth's "Twas the week before Christmas" Both of these women write some good stories. Merry Christmas everyone.....

message 9: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I need to clarify on my Christmas book, front title is Once upon a Christmas , inside the stories are titles as I said before. sorry about confusion......

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "As I said, I love, love Christmas books so this isn't an easy one, but I have to say I'd vote for 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' -- it's a funny, funny book about a woman who is putting on a Chr..."

Janet, I totally agree; that's a great one! I know we're talking about books, but have you ever seen the movie starring Loretta Swit? If you haven't, I highly recommend it.
I think my favorite children's Christmas book is "The Crippled Lamb" by Max Lucado. I don't know that I could choose an adult one. There are so many good ones. "The Sound of Sleigh Bells" by Cindy Woodsmall and "The Christmas Hope" by Donna VanLiere come to mind among many others . . .

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

Barbara -- What's the name of the movie?

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Janet, the movie is also called "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." It's pretty old, 1989, but I looked and you can get it on Amazon as DVD or VHS. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my response. If you like the book, you will also love the movie!!

message 13: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm going to have to find the movie as I really did laugh when reading the book.

message 14: by Patty (new)

Patty Hall | 211 comments One of my favorite Christmas books is The Crippled Lamb--the first time I read it was to my youngest daughter's third grade class, and I was so overcome by the beauty of it that I broke down and cried in front of 26 eight year olds. So I passed the book off to one of my friends and SHE started crying. Took four of us to finish that book!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
My favorite Christmas book ever is also my favorite book ever -- How Far to Bethlehem by Norah Lofts. It tells the Christmas story so vividly from the view of all the participants, but mainly the three wise men. I reread it almost every Christmas season to remind me what the season is all about. A close second is Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol. Every Christmas Eve I listen to the Patrick Stewart recording while I'm cleaning and baking.

Patty, I'll have to check out The Crippled Lamb. The Littlest Angel is another one of my favorites that brings me to tears just thinking about.

message 16: by Shelley (last edited Dec 04, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Shelley (sydwi) | 15 comments Oh, that mail order brides book looks great! I'm going to try to hunt it down. Christmas books are my absolute favorite genre.

I have two books that I read every single Christmas: The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman(YA) and Miracle and Other Christmas Stories (sci-fi). I especially recommend the latter, which has some absolutely beautiful stories, including one about Mary and Joseph and a church.

message 17: by JanetTronstad (new)

This thread is just wonderful. I've got some new 'buys' for my Christmas books this year. I think I'll check out your 'Miracle and Other Christmas Stories' Shelley and 'The Crippled Lamb' -- both sound great.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "As I said, I love, love Christmas books so this isn't an easy one, but I have to say I'd vote for 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' -- it's a funny, funny book about a woman who is putting on a Chr..."

I love that book! Hilarious!

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 04, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I like the short story by O henry...,The Gift of the Magiand the Classic Dickens, Christmas Carol. The Legend of the Candy Cane and The Legend of the Christmas Stocking. OH! And The Tale of Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale, my absolute favorite along with The Polar Express

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

I forgot about 'The Gift of the Magi' -- that's a classic. Still remember the feeling I had the first time I read it.

message 21: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Barbour bring out novellas every christmas (its one of these I found my name) and all but one I have loved. the one I didn't was about 4 or 5 years ago and it was 4 stories that linked and very predictable and I was so annoyed with the heroines single,successful and wanting to be married and a few other issues but each story was so similar in many ways and the heroines really annoyed me.

But apart from that book all the ones since have gotten better and better.
Melody Carlson has wonderful Christmas novella's and a new one each year.
Robin Jones Gunns
Finding Father Christmas: A Novella
and Engaging Father Christmas
are lovely books too.

message 22: by Heidi (last edited Dec 05, 2010 10:48AM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Barbara wrote: "Janet Tronstad wrote: "As I said, I love, love Christmas books so this isn't an easy one, but I have to say I'd vote for 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever' -- it's a funny, funny book about a woman ..."

I agree Barbara, I loved, "The Sound of Sleigh Bells" by Cindy Woodsmall too!:) The Sound of Sleigh Bells by Cindy Woodsmall So far it has been my favorite Christmas book, but I have three on my TBR pile too! :) I have (In no particular reading order :) A Victorian Christmas Cottage by Catherine Palmer , Mistletoe Prayers by Marta Perry , and The Soldier's Holiday Vow  by Jillian Hart , as well as wanting to get An Amish Christmas (Love Inspired) by Patricia Davids as soon as Wal-Mart gets it in this month :) Lol, I think I will be reading Christmas books into the Spring at the rate I am going though ;)

message 23: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Heidi, all of these look like great books and hey it doesnt really matter when you read them, if you are like me, anytime you like a story you have read it is the right time. I want to read these too.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Paula wrote: "Heidi, all of these look like great books and hey it doesnt really matter when you read them, if you are like me, anytime you like a story you have read it is the right time. I want to read these ..."

Thanks Paula, glad you think they look good as well! :) You're right. A good book is a good book anytime of the year!

message 25: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I don't think I have an particular Christmas favorites, and I read Christmas books year round! :)

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments I just finish Plain and simple christmas by Amy Clispion couple days ago. I really enjoyed this book. I just download a Kindle book " An Amish Christmnas " by Patrtcia Davids on my Ipod today

message 27: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 28 comments I Finished a few days ago Love Finds You under the Mistletoe by Irene Brand and I really liked it. I just started and I'm enjoying Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by Donita K. Paul

message 28: by JanetTronstad (new)

Those both sound great, Cammie!

message 29: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments loved love finds you under the mistletoe.

message 30: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
So many good suggestions. If I didn't have a book due Jan 3rd, I'd be reading a few!

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I just got Under the Mistletoe the other day! And I am about to start reading this one. A Prairie Christmas Collection 9 Historical Christmas Romances from America's Great Plains by Tracie Peterson