Love Inspired Books discussion

Author Interviews > Meet author Charlotte Carter!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
Montana Hearts by Charlotte Carter

1. What’s your sale story? How did you end up selling to Love Inspired?

I’ve authored more than 50 books, most of them for various Harlequin lines under several pseudonyms. In addition, I’ve authored 10 cozy mysteries and continuities for Guideposts Books, an inspirational publisher. My agent felt my voice would fit Love Inspired, and she encouraged me to submit a proposal.

2. How long have you been writing?

I made my first sale on July 19, 1991. (Yes, I’m that old!) I had been writing for four years and had completed a full dozen manuscripts, half of them historicals. So you can see I was an ‘overnight’ success.

3. How many books did you write before selling to Love Inspired?

Despite my long writing history, I submitted one proposal to Love Inspired that was rejected, Fortunately, Emily Rodmell liked my second proposal, Montana Hearts. As many of you probably know, no matter how many books you’ve written, no sale is a sure thing and rejection is a part of every author’s life.

4. What’s the best piece of writing advice you received in helping sell your first book?

I’m not sure it was anyone’s advice that made that first sale, although I certainly received a lot of help and support from the members of Orange County Chapter of Romance Writers of America. What I did, however, may be the key: after those dozen books were rejected by every editor in New York City, I decided I’d have fun writing the next book. I think it showed and that’s why The Villain’s Lady sold to Harlequin American.

5. What’s something you wish you’d known when you started your writing
journey?

I wish I’d known much earlier in life how much I love telling stories. I was a Business major; I avoided Literature classes. But from an early age I always told myself stories. It didn’t occur to me that I could write and sell stories until my husband gave me a paperback book, How to Write a Romance that Sells, by Kathryn Falk. That was the best present Santa Claus had ever given me!

6. Do you have a Bible verse that guides your writing? If so, what is it?

Because I’m a romance writer at heart, the Bible verse in the front matter of Montana Hearts is probably my favorite. “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13

7. What is your favorite writing book?

I’ve used The Hero’s Journey by Christopher Vogler for many years when plotting a book. Recently I’ve modified Vogler’s structure by adding techniques from Save the Cat by Blake Synder, who regretfully died last year at a young age. I also continue to attend and take online craft classes in order to improve my writing skills. With any luck, I’ll never stop learning.

8. What is the most recent Love Inspired book you’ve read?

Since I’ve spent much of my life as a ‘professional’ volunteer, I loved Lyn Cote’s premise in Shelter of Hope (September 2010). Volunteering can and does bring people together.

9. What does your writing life look like?

Compulsive. And a little messy. I write virtually every day simply because I love doing it, I love to see (and, yes, hear in my head) the story unfold.

10. What advice would you give to an aspiring Love Inspired author?

Read. Lots. Write. Lots. It is so important to actually sit down and write the book. Finish the book. Then finish the next one. Only by doing that will you develop your own voice and discover the stories you want to tell. I’m also confident I never would have sold my first book if I hadn’t joined RWA, Orange County Chapter.

I hope you’ll drop by my blog:
www.CharlotteCarter.com

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 95 comments Hey, Charlotte! I go to the Orange County RWA meetings once in a while (last one was to hear Linda Lael Miller). Drop me a note on my website www.janettronstad.com if you'd like and we could see about saying hi somewhere (assuming you're still in So Calif -- I live in Pasadena).