Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Ever sell your books to Half-Price Books?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I posted this on another group's forums but I was wondering just how much money one can get for books at Half-Price Books. I know the better the condition, the more popular a book is and all that can get you more money but like what for example?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I took in a big box of books and had more unpopular than popular probably in there and I made about $20.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Holli wrote: "I took in a big box of books and had more unpopular than popular probably in there and I made about $20."

Was it about 20 books?

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments I have a little, not Half-Price Books, used book store by my house. They don't give you cash, only store credit. Which, if I traded books, would be okay because I'd probably just use the money to buy books anyway. They sell paperbacks at 1/2 cover price and give you 1/4 cover price in credit (when you sell to them).

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I think I had about 35 in there Leslie....

message 6: by Cammie (last edited Dec 04, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

Cammie | 784 comments I've sold about 60 old Harleqin type books to Half Price Books and they gave me $2. I Have another bag full and not sure I want to waste my time.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I took some books to the Half Price bookstore once; had about 15 books and they were going to give me $3 for them. I brought them back home. Would rather share the books with friends.

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Cindy wrote: "I took some books to the Half Price bookstore once; had about 15 books and they were going to give me $3 for them. I brought them back home. Would rather share the books with friends."

Wow, then they've got some nerve for selling them at half of the cover price. Try an independent bookstore- getting a 1/4 of the cover price sounds like a much better deal, even if it's just store credit.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Shay wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I took some books to the Half Price bookstore once; had about 15 books and they were going to give me $3 for them. I brought them back home. Would rather share the books with friend..."

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Only we only have one near here and it's kinda gross. I don't mind dust and crazy piles of books and having to hunt, but this one is really gross. Oh, well between Amazon, the library and Thriftbooks.com, I do okay.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments I'd rather donate my books than get 20-50 cents each. But, I keep all of my books whether or not I intend to re-read them. I do donate "contaminated", like new books to the school, though.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I know what you mean Shay!
I keep my books too...I have totes in my storage unit right now. I would love to buy a new bigger bookshelf, plus get my other bookshelf out of storage!
Not sure about anyone else but I love to sit in front of my bookshelf and look at my books, rearrange them, and decide which ones I want to read next! Crazy I know!!
One of my dreams is to have a library room one day!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Cindy wrote: "I know what you mean Shay!
I keep my books too...I have totes in my storage unit right now. I would love to buy a new bigger bookshelf, plus get my other bookshelf out of storage!
Not sure abo..."

Cindy, me too! Exactly. Completely. Fer sure, fer sure.

message 13: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 784 comments I keep all my books but I recieved about 77 harleqin type books and I'm only keeping maybe 15 of those so I have about 60 books I don't want. I don't think I want to sell them to Half Price Books.

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Cindy - you are so funny. I also keep my books. My daughter is a senior in college - with an extra year to go and is an English major. She covets my collection, which will eventually be hers I guess. I'm like you - like to look at them, play librarian. Its like my good quilting fabric, I just love to fondle!

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Nancy wrote: "Cindy - you are so funny. I also keep my books. My daughter is a senior in college - with an extra year to go and is an English major. She covets my collection, which will eventually be hers I gues..."

What?! Another quilter/home librarian? ME TOO!

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments he he Leslie! Two addictions!!

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Clemmons | 99 comments I've had good and bad experiences selling books at Half-Price. Several years ago, it seemed that we didn't get much for the books we brought in to sell. But, more recently, we've gotten about $20 or so for a medium-sized box of books (maybe about 20 paperbacks). I guess it's "hit or miss". :)