Christian Support Group :) discussion

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments What denomination is everyone here? And what are the main points of your chosen denomination?
This is something I have wondered about for a while.
I know what I believe, but I'm curious about others.

I'm an independent fundamental Baptist.
I believe: Every word in the Bible; Creation; Literal Heaven and Hell; the Trinity; Salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ; the rapture and tribulation; the 2nd Coming; um.....I think that's most of it. That I can think of right now, anyway.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

I'm A Catholic Christian.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. Of all that is seen and unseen I believe in Lord Jesus Christ the only son of the Lord. Eternally begotten to the father. God from God, Life from Life, True God From True God. The trinity and the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and the resurection of the church. And the life of the world to come.

message 3: by ShadowTalon (new)

ShadowTalon (flameofnight) I am a Christian freethinker.

I believe in the almighty as the pure, holy part of my spirit that guides me through the troubling times in my life. I believe that Jesus was a projection of the pure spirit into flesh and blood, untainted by Adam's flawed soul. Yet I also incorporate logic and reason into each of my beliefs, and always stop to think about my decisions before asking guidance of God.

Thank you for making this topic, Kristen. It was a good idea.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I was raised in the Christian
Church, later I was baptized
In the Lord, at the Church of Christ.

We believe in the trinity
That everything has been
Created by One God. The
God of Abraham...

When you die, its only once
And than the judgement.
I believe in the rapture of
The church.
I believe n partaken the
Lords table weekly.

That's all fi can think of for now...

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Black Cat wrote: "Thank you for making this topic, Kristen. It was a good idea. "

I've been curious for a while now. If I had time I'd take a bunch of classes. It be alot easier to debate that way ;)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 16 comments I'm Southern Baptist. I'm with Kristen. I believe the same.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments The Fox Princess wrote: "I'm Southern Baptist. I'm with Kristen. I believe the same."

I don't want to start a debate on this thread, but I'm curious as to if there is any difference in what the doctrine of southern Baptists believe and independent fundamental Baptists believe. ? There must be some right? Or we'd all just be 'Baptists'.
If you're not sure, that's fine, I was just curious :)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 16 comments I can find out. I'd be happy to oblige your request. And I would think so. I'll look into it if you will. Deal?

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Deal :)

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jones | 25 comments I'm kind of....nothing, I guess. Is there a word for that?

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Samantha wrote: "I'm kind of....nothing, I guess. Is there a word for that?"

You don't believe anything?
You don't have to necessarily claim a denomination. In fact some people are 'non-denominational'.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jones | 25 comments I have no idea what I believe. I'm not on either side of of the argument nor am I neutral. I just don't have an opinion about religion, period. I don't even know whether or not I believe in god.

*Mrs. Brightside* Oh wow. So you don't really care?

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jones | 25 comments It's not that I don't care, I just don't know.

*Mrs. Brightside* ...Have you thought about it?

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jones | 25 comments Yeah, a lot actually.

*Mrs. Brightside* Well...are you close to choosing what you don't/do believe?

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments The Fox Princess wrote: "I can find out. I'd be happy to oblige your request. And I would think so. I'll look into it if you will. Deal?"

I'm sorry for taking so long, I've been busy and things have been crazy.
It seems that alot of the differences are political. Independent Baptist are independent as far as money and missions go. Southern Baptists are members of a national convention.
Also Independent is more conservative while Southern is more liberal.

message 19: by Christina (last edited Jan 07, 2011 08:19AM) (new)

Christina | 91 comments non-denominational
I believe that as long a you've got the basic Chritian beliefs, that the little things (support of the Pope, confession to priests or straight to God, honoring saints, baptism by immersion) fade away.
When we get to heaven, God's not going to quiz us on all the specifics. :)
Oh, and I'm not against people with denominations though. In fact, I was actually raised Catholic.

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Christina wrote: "When we get to heaven, God's not going to quiz us on all the specifics. :)"

I agree, sort of. Our salvation isn't based on anything but our faith, but we are going to be held accountable for certain things.
Not that I'm saying it's any of those things that you mentioned - I don't hold to any of them but the baptism and praying to God - but some specifics are important.

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments Yes I agree about being held accountable on Judgment Day for what we've done. Some specifics are important yes. Sorry, I didn't mean to downplay any of that :-/

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments That's the thing about the internet, sometimes its hard to know exactly what someone means...
But yeah, as far as salvation goes, I agree with you - nothing else matters but faith.

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments Yes ma'am.... yes, the internet is a suspicious and often creepy and terrible thing... yet here we are, ministering and encouraging each other :) Have a fabulous weekend sister in Christ!

message 24: by Okie (new)

Okie (okiecavies) | 25 comments My small, rural community is entirely too competitive between denominations. I currently attend a Christian Church, and am thinking of attending a charismatic, free form service that started recently. Jesus our Christ is the only way to salvation. We are saved by grace through faith, that no man can boast. God's grace in sacrificing Christ for our sins, and our faith in Christ's death and resurrection. Any arguments beyond this are superficial.
How are your communities?

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Okiecavies wrote: "How are your communities? "

I live in a suburb(ish) area where there's lots of people and you hardly ever see anyone you know. There's everything here - denomination and ethnicity. Not alot of arguing about what someone has to be denomination wise. Actually it's rare if you find out someone you meet on the street is an actual Christian...most people just say they're catholic or whatever but don't really ever go to church.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Alex-wa wrote: "they ask me what church I go to I always reply, "First United Methodist". They look at me for a moment and say, "Where's that?"

LOl, I get that too. Only after I tell them where mine is, they still don't know b/c my church is really small and down a road most people never go down.

message 27: by Okie (new)

Okie (okiecavies) | 25 comments Why do so many churchgoers try so hard to seem perfect, and to hide their struggles? Christ told us following him was no picnic! I believe that peace is much, much different than happiness. I talk to non-churchgoers who say they don't go to church because you have to already be a 'perfect christian' to go. Sigh. Sorry for being so negative.

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments It's true. We all have struggles but I think pride keeps us from admitting that. We don't want to look like the sinners we are.

message 29: by Okie (new)

Okie (okiecavies) | 25 comments Thank you for understanding, Kristen. I really shouldn't talk, at least most of those people actively support their church. [my gift is being hypocritical ;-P ]

message 30: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments lol
I have issues with my church too. I think most people probably do.
But I hope you don't let the "perfect" people keep you from church. After all it's really just pride to be like that. No one's perfect. And we all know God loves pride so much (heavy sarcasm).

message 31: by Danielle Mary (new)

Danielle Mary  Friedrich (JesusFreak53124) | 47 comments lutheran church elca

message 32: by 1luvbooks (new)

1luvbooks | 4 comments I am a Mennonite!!! :DD
We believe that it's important to do God's work in the world, have a relationship with Christ, Read God's word, Pray, We believe in Heaven And Hell, and all Jesus' teachings and that he died and rose again...all the standards (:D), but we don't take every single word literally (we understand that some stuff in there is allegory) Ex. We don't necessarily believe God took EXACTLY 7 days to create the world.
And, we also believe ( big time) that war is wrong, and that it is important to be a voice for peace in today's society
I believe all that stuff, too.

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 349 comments 1luvbooks wrote: "I am a Mennonite!!! :DD
We believe that it's important to do God's work in the world, have a relationship with Christ, Read God's word, Pray, We believe in Heaven And Hell, and all Jesus' teachings..."

So how long do you believe Creation actually took?
I believe in the literal 7 days, but I'm curious why you don't.