The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.8 It's My Birthday: Erin MN's task- Inauguration Day

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 02, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18103 comments Mod
20.8 It's My Birthday: Erin MN's task-Inauguration Day

Every 4 years on my birthday (January 20), the United States swears in the newly elected President.
Read a book about any United States President or Vice President. Fiction and non-fiction work. ex. The Coup: A Novel, His Excellency: George Washington
OR
Read a book with one of the following words in the title:
president, vice, white, house, election, vote, democrat, republican, democracy, candidate, primary, poll, ballot

Plurals of the above words are OK

message 2: by Erin (last edited Dec 04, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments RESERVED

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18103 comments Mod
This thread is open!

message 5: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments my problem was too many choices!! I just spent an hour at borders nearly looking...haha!

i can recommend Tried by War : Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief - I read it in the summer challenge...its about Lincoln and the Civil War and why he made the military decisions he did

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Karen wrote: "How bout Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter?"

I really want to read that book. I started it and it was great!

message 11: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1647 comments Kathryn wrote: "Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter?"

I really want to read that book..."

Me too! I read P&P& Zombies and it was hilarious so I have the same sort of expectation for this one as it's the same author :)

message 12: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments listening in for Abe Lincoln, Vampire hunter......

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House."

Valorie - Yes, I'll take that

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Paul wrote: "would Dreams from My Father or The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream work for this task?"

Paul - both or those would work

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Karen wrote: "How bout Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter?"

Karen - that works!

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments I haven't read State of the Onion, but I read Eggsecutive Orders which is in the same series and it was an entertaining read

Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House."

message 18: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Erin wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House."

Valorie - Yes, I'll take that"

Great thanks!

message 19: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I haven't read State of the Onion, but I read Eggsecutive Orders which is in the same series and it was an entertaining read

Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It tak..."

Oh good, glad to know it's a good series!

message 20: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments I've read a couple of Lincoln books this summer, and they were both good. If you want something hefty and thorough, I would recommend Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. If you want something a little more fun (and quicker to read), I would recommend Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. For the record, I really didn't like P&P&Z by Grahame-Smith, and so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed his Lincoln novel. :)

Myself, I think I will read Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson, if that's ok!

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenma) | 101 comments Rach - Manhunt is such a great book. I loved it. I am really excited to read the next book by James Swanson that just came out.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments i've heard good things about team of rivals...but its soo long! lol!

message 23: by Janice (last edited Dec 03, 2010 02:13PM) (new)

Janice  | 670 comments Thanks for the great task. I've been wanting to read Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West forever. I now have a reason to push it forward on my list. My library even has a copy.

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Sweet! I'm moving Front Row at the White House : My Life and Times by Helen Thomas to this task and reading a different author bio for 5.10 where I originally had it slated.

message 25: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 105 comments Erin wrote: "Paul wrote: "would Dreams from My Father or The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream work for this task?"

Paul - both or those would work"

Thank you muchly

message 26: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments This is a perfect task for me since I just picked up Deciding the Next Decider: The 2008 Presidential Race in Rhyme on a whim. I assume it works because of "presidential"? Or is that not close enough?

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1525 comments Erin wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House."

So, the rest of the books in the series will work as well?

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Manday wrote: "This is a perfect task for me since I just picked up Deciding the Next Decider: The 2008 Presidential Race in Rhyme on a whim. I assume it works because of "presidential"? Or is that..."

Manday - yes, "presidential" will work

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Sue T wrote: "Erin wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Would State of the Onion work? It takes place in the White House."

So, the rest of the books in the series will work as..."

Sue T - yes, the rest of the books in the series will work

message 30: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments so any book with HOUSE would work? could i read Little House on the Prairie or Little House in the Big Woods? i was going to use my obama book for this, but switched it over to the task where we have to use a president's name, and his was the only one that worked! thanks for your help! :)

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments kiki wrote: "so any book with HOUSE would work? could i read Little House on the Prairie or Little House in the Big Woods? i was going to use my obama book for this, but switched it o..."

Kiki - yes, any book with "house" in the title would work :)

message 32: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments awesome, thanks! :)

message 33: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Would A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present work? While I'm sure there are (lots of) presidents/vps/etc. in it, the focus isn't really on an individual...

message 34: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2144 comments Would a book with "America" in the title work? (As in: Third World America ) Thanks!

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "Would A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present work? While I'm sure there are (lots of) presidents/vps/etc. in it, the focus isn't really on an individual..."

Rachel - sorry, that won't work!

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Deedee wrote: "Would a book with "America" in the title work? (As in: Third World America ) Thanks!"

Deedee - sorry, that won't work!